OREMUS: 23 May 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri May 22 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Saturday, May 23, 2009

Blessed are you, almighty God,
through Jesus Christ the King of glory.
Born of a woman,
he came to our rescue.
Dying for us,
he trampled death and conquered sin.
By the glory of his resurrection
he opened the way to life eternal
and by his ascension,
gave us the sure hope
that where he is we may also be.

http://www.oremus.org/ eastocan.html

Psalm 45

My heart is stirring with a noble song;
   let me recite what I have fashioned for the king;*
 my tongue shall be the pen of a skilled writer.
You are the fairest of men;*
 grace flows from your lips,
   because God has blessed you for ever.
Strap your sword upon your thigh, O mighty warrior,*
 in your pride and in your majesty.
Ride out and conquer in the cause of truth*
 and for the sake of justice.
Your right hand will show you marvellous things;*
 your arrows are very sharp, O mighty warrior.
The peoples are falling at your feet,*
 and the king's enemies are losing heart.
Your throne, O God, endures for ever and ever,*
 a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of your kingdom;
   you love righteousness and hate iniquity;
Therefore God, your God, has anointed you*
 with the oil of gladness above your fellows.
All your garments are fragrant with myrrh, aloes and cassia,*
 and the music of strings from ivory palaces makes you glad.
Kings' daughters stand among the ladies of the court;*
 on your right hand is the queen,
   adorned with the gold of Ophir.
'Hear, O daughter; consider and listen closely;*
 forget your people and your family's house.
'The king will have pleasure in your beauty;*
 he is your master; therefore do him honour.
'The people of Tyre are here with a gift;*
 the rich among the people seek your favour.'
All glorious is the princess as she enters;*
 her gown is clothofgold.
In embroidered apparel she is brought to the king;*
 after her the bridesmaids follow in procession.
With joy and gladness they are brought,*
 and enter into the palace of the king.
'In place of fathers, O king, you shall have sons;*
 you shall make them princes over all the earth.
'I will make your name to be remembered
   from one generation to another;*
 therefore nations will praise you for ever and ever.'

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Genesis 49:1-2, 8-10]:

Then Jacob called his sons, and said: ‘Gather around, that I may tell you what will happen to you in days to come.
Assemble and hear, O sons of Jacob;
   listen to Israel your father.

‘Judah, your brothers shall praise you;
   your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies;
   your father’s sons shall bow down before you.
Judah is a lion’s whelp;
   from the prey, my son, you have gone up.
He crouches down, he stretches out like a lion,
   like a lioness—who dares rouse him up?
The sceptre shall not depart from Judah,
   nor the ruler’s staff from between his feet,
until tribute comes to him;
   and the obedience of the peoples is his.

HYMN
Words: Anonymous

We are gathering together unto him.
We are gathering together unto him.
Unto him shall the gath'ring of the people be,
we are gathering together unto him.

We are offering together unto him.
We are offering together unto him.
Unto him shall the off'ring of the people be,
we are offering together unto him.

We are singing together unto him.
We are singing together unto him.
Unto him shall the singing of the people be,
we are singing together unto him.

We are praying together unto him.
We are praying together unto him.
Unto him shall the praying of the people be,
we are praying together unto him.

SECOND READING [2 Thessalonians 2:13-end]:

But we must always give thanks to God for you, brothers and sisters beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the first fruits for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and through belief in the truth. For this purpose he called you through our proclamation of the good news, so that you may obtain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by our letter.

Now may our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and through grace gave us eternal comfort and good hope, comfort your hearts and strengthen them in every good work and word.

Holy Spirit, Creator,
in the beginning you moved over the waters.
>From your breath all creation drew life.
Without you, life turns to dust.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Counselor,
by your inspiration, the prophets spoke and acted in faith.
You clothed them in power to be bearers of your Word.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Power,
you came as fire to Jesus' disciples;
you gave them voice before the rulers of this world.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Sanctifier,
you created us children of God;
you make us the living temple of your presence;
you intercede within us with sighs too deep for words.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Holy Spirit, Giver of life,
you guide and make holy the church you create;
you give gifts:
the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
the spirit of counsel and fortitude,
the spirit of knowledge and piety,
the spirit of the fear of the Lord,
that the whole creation may become what you want it to be.
Come, Holy Spirit!

Lord our God,
enthroned in majesty,
inspire the praises of your people,
that our worship will be one
with the marriage feast in heaven,
and your bride united with your anointed Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Looking for the coming of the kingdom,
let us pray as our King has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

May Christ, our ascended King,
pour upon us the abundance of his gifts
and bring us to reign with him in glory. Amen.

_Common WorshipServices and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.