OREMUS: 10 May 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 9 17:14:35 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, May 10, 2009
The Fifth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
You are the ineffable sea of love,
the fountain of blessings,
and you water us with plenteous streams
from the riches of your grace
and the most sweet springs of your kindness.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.9-11
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Job 19:21-27a]:

Have pity on me, have pity on me, O you my friends,
   for the hand of God has touched me!
22Why do you, like God, pursue me,
   never satisfied with my flesh?

23'O that my words were written down!
   O that they were inscribed in a book!
24O that with an iron pen and with lead
   they were engraved on a rock for ever!
25For I know that my Redeemer* lives,
   and that at the last he* will stand upon the earth;*
26and after my skin has been thus destroyed,
   then in* my flesh I shall see God,*
27whom I shall see on my side,*
   and my eyes shall behold, and not another.
   My heart faints within me!

HYMN
Words: Greek, third century; trans. Robert Bridges, 1899
Tune: Le Cantique de Sim‚on

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/o/o145.html

O gladsome Light, O grace
of God the Father's face,
the eternal splendor wearing;
celestial, holy, blest,
our Savior Jesus Christ,
joyful in thine appearing.

Now, ere day falleth quite,
we see the evening light,
our wonted hymn outpouring;
Father of might unknown,
thee, his incarnate Son,
and Holy Spirit adoring.

To thee of right belongs
all praise of holy songs,
O Son of God, Life-giver;
thee, therefore, O Most High,
the world doth glorify,
and shall exalt for ever.

SECOND READING [John 12:44-end]:

Jesus cried aloud: 'Whoever believes in me believes not in me but in him who sent me. And whoever sees me sees him who sent me. I have come as light into the world, so that everyone who believes in me should not remain in the darkness. I do not judge anyone who hears my words and does not keep them, for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world. The one who rejects me and does not receive my word has a judge; on the last day the word that I have spoken will serve as judge, for I have not spoken on my own, but the Father who sent me has himself given me a commandment about what to say and what to speak. And I know that his commandment is eternal life. What I speak, therefore, I speak just as the Father has told me.'

My brothers and sisters, united to the Lord as branches of the vine, let us bring our prayers to God our Father.

We pray for the people of Pakistan in the conflict in that land: that there may be peace and justice, and that those who are refugees may receive the help they need.

We pray for those in Mexico and throughout the world suffering as a result of the flu outbreak: that they may receive comfort and healing; and we pray too for the doctors and scientists working to combat the spread of the disease.

We pray for Pope Benedict, on his pilgrimage to the Holy Land: that he may be a witness for peace and reconciliation between the peoples of that region.

We pray for the people of Sri Lanka suffering as a result of the continuing conflict in that country: that justice, peace and reconciliation may prevail, and that those in need may receive aid.

We pray for those sitting exams, in schools, colleges and universities: that they may be strengthened through this important time, and that they may know our love and support for them.

Heavenly Father, with faith in your loving care for us we ask you to hear the prayers that we offer through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
whom truly to know is everlasting life:
Grant us so perfectly to know your Son Jesus Christ
to be the way, the truth, and the life,
that we may steadfastly follow his steps
in the way that leads to eternal life;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you, in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.  Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Increase our love for one another,
that both in name and in truth
we may be disciples of the risen Lord Jesus,
and so reflect by our lives
the glory that is yours. Amen.