OREMUS: 3 May 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat May 2 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, May 3, 2009
The Fourth Sunday of Easter

Blessed are you, God of peace,
who brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus,
the great shepherd of the sheep,
by the blood of the eternal covenant,
making us complete in everything good
so that we may do his will,
and working among us that which is pleasing in his sight.

Psalm 36:5-end[CCP]

Your love, O Lord, reaches to the heavens,*
 and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like the strong mountains,
   your justice like the great deep;*
 you save both human and beast, O Lord.
How priceless is your love, O God!*
 your people take refuge under the shadow of your wings.
They feast upon the abundance of your house;*
 you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the well of life,*
 and in your light we see light.
Continue your lovingkindness to those who know you,*
 and your favour to those who are true of heart.
Let not the foot of the proud come near me,*
 nor the hand of the wicked push me aside.
See how they are fallen, those who work wickedness!*
 they are cast down and shall not be able to rise.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

The Easter Anthems (from 1 Corinthians 5, Romans 6, 1 Corinthians 15)

Christ our passover has been sacrificed for us: .
so let us celebrate the feast,
not with the old leaven of corruption and wickedness: .
but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Christ once raised from the dead dies no more: .
death has no more dominion over him.
In dying he died to sin once for all: .
in living he lives to God.
See yourselves therefore as dead to sin: .
and alive to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6.9-11
Christ has been raised from the dead: .
the first fruits of those who sleep.
For as by man came death: .
by man has come also the resurrection of the dead;
for as in Adam all die: .
even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 12:15b-23]:

The Lord struck the child that Uriah's wife bore to David, and it became very ill. David therefore pleaded with God for the child; David fasted, and went in and lay all night on the ground. The elders of his house stood beside him, urging him to rise from the ground; but he would not, nor did he eat food with them. On the seventh day the child died. And the servants of David were afraid to tell him that the child was dead; for they said, 'While the child was still alive, we spoke to him, and he did not listen to us; how then can we tell him the child is dead? He may do himself some harm.' But when David saw that his servants were whispering together, he perceived that the child was dead; and David said to his servants, 'Is the child dead?' They said, 'He is dead.'

Then David rose from the ground, washed, anointed himself, and changed his clothes. He went into the house of the Lord, and worshipped; he then went to his own house; and when he asked, they set food before him and he ate. Then his servants said to him, 'What is this thing that you have done? You fasted and wept for the child while it was alive; but when the child died, you rose and ate food.' He said, 'While the child was still alive, I fasted and wept; for I said, “Who knows? The Lord may be gracious to me, and the child may live.” But now he is dead; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he will not return to me.'

HYMN
Words: Constance Coote (1844-1936)
Tune: Swabia

For all who watch tonight,
By land or sea or air,
O Father, may they know that Thou
Art with them even there.

For all who weep tonight,
The hearts that cannot rest,
Reveal Thy love, that wondrous love
Which gave for us Thy best.

For all who wake tonight,
Love's tender watch to keep,
Watcher divine, Thyself draw nigh,
Thou who dost never sleep.

For all who fear tonight,
Whate'er the dread may be,
We ask for them the perfect peace
Of hearts that rest in Thee.

Our own beloved tonight,
O Father, keep; and where
Our love and succour cannot reach,
Now bless them through our prayer.

And all who pray tonight,
Thy wrestling hosts, O Lord,
Make weakness strong, let them prevail,
According to Thy word.

SECOND READING [John 14:1-14]:

Jesus said, 'Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house there are many dwelling-places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. And you know the way to the place where I am going.' Thomas said to him, 'Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?' Jesus said to him, 'I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.'

Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, “Show us the Father”? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.'

The Lord is our shepherd, and we are the sheep of his flock. Let us bring our prayers to him.

We pray for the people of Mexico, and those in other countries of the world suffering as a result of the flu outbreak: may they receive comfort and healing.

We pray for the doctors and scientists working to combat the spread of the disease: may they be supported in their work.

We pray for the people of Sri Lanka in the continuing conflict in that country: that justice, peace and reconciliation may prevail.

We pray for those called to shepherd God's people through ordained ministry: that many may hear the call of the Good Shepherd to serve with faith and love.

We pray for all Christian people: that they may know and follow God’s call in their lives.

Heavenly Father, your Son Jesus Christ was willing to lay down his life for us. We ask you to hear the prayers that we offer through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
whose Son Jesus Christ is the resurrection and the life:
raise us, who trust him,
from the death of sin to the life of righteousness,
that we may seek those things which are above,
where he reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Lead us always to the living waters
where you promise respite and refreshment,
that we may be counted among those
who know and follow you, O Lord. Amen.