OREMUS: 22 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 21 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, March 22, 2009
The Fourth Sunday in Lent

Glory to you, O Champion of all Loves,
who for our sake endured the cross,
encountered the enemy and tasted death.
Glory be to you, O King of all kings,
who for our salvation
wrestled with principalities and powers,
subdued the forces of hell
and won the greatest of all victories.
To you be all praise, all glory and all love;
now and for ever. Amen.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html
>Psalm 18, Part II love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven. My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise. I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies. The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid. The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me. I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help. He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears. The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger. Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him. He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet. He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind. He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion. From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire. The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice. He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them. The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils. He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters. He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.16)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.(

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [Exodus 16:4-15]:

Then the Lord said to Moses, 'I am going to rain bread from heaven for you, and each day the people shall go out and gather enough for that day. In that way I will test them, whether they will follow my instruction or not. On the sixth day, when they prepare what they bring in, it will be twice as much as they gather on other days.' So Moses and Aaron said to all the Israelites, 'In the evening you shall know that it was the Lord who brought you out of the land of Egypt, and in the morning you shall see the glory of the Lord, because he has heard your complaining against the Lord. For what are we, that you complain against us?' And Moses said, 'When the Lord gives you meat to eat in the evening and your fill of bread in the morning, because the Lord has heard the complaining that you utter against him—what are we? Your complaining is not against us but against the Lord.'

Then Moses said to Aaron, 'Say to the whole congregation of the Israelites, “Draw near to the Lord, for he has heard your complaining.” ' And as Aaron spoke to the whole congregation of the Israelites, they looked towards the wilderness, and the glory of the Lord appeared in the cloud. The Lord spoke to Moses and said, 'I have heard the complaining of the Israelites; say to them, “At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall have your fill of bread; then you shall know that I am the Lord your God.” '

In the evening quails came up and covered the camp; and in the morning there was a layer of dew around the camp. When the layer of dew lifted, there on the surface of the wilderness was a fine flaky substance, as fine as frost on the ground. When the Israelites saw it, they said to one another, 'What is it?' For they did not know what it was. Moses said to them, 'It is the bread that the Lord has given you to eat.

HYMN
Words: Isaac Watts (1674-1748)
Tune: Breslau, Erhalt uns Herr

My dear Redeemer, and my Lord,
I read my duty in thy word;
But in thy life the law appears
Drawn out in living characters.

Such was thy truth, and such thy zeal,
Such deference to thy Father's will,
Such love, and meekness so divine,
I would transcribe and make them mine.

Cold mountains and the midnight air
Witnessed the fervour of thy prayer;
The desert thy temptations knew,
Thy conflict and thy victory too.

Be thou my pattern; make me bear
More of thy gracious image here;
Then God the Judge shall own my name
Among the followers of the Lamb.

SECOND READING [John 6:27-40]:

Jesus said, ' Do not work for the food that perishes, but for the food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For it is on him that God the Father has set his seal.' Then they said to him, 'What must we do to perform the works of God?' Jesus answered them, 'This is the work of God, that you believe in him whom he has sent.' So they said to him, 'What sign are you going to give us then, so that we may see it and believe you? What work are you performing? Our ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness; as it is written, “He gave them bread from heaven to eat.” ' Then Jesus said to them, 'Very truly, I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is that which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.' They said to him, 'Sir, give us this bread always.'

Jesus said to them, 'I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. Everything that the Father gives me will come to me, and anyone who comes to me I will never drive away; for I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me. And this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up on the last day. This is indeed the will of my Father, that all who see the Son and believe in him may have eternal life; and I will raise them up on the last day.'

With faith and love and in union with Christ,
let us offer our prayer before the throne of grace.

Have mercy on your people,
for whom your Son laid down his life.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Bring healing and wholeness to people and nations,
and have pity on those torn apart by division.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Strengthen all who are persecuted for your name's sake,
and deliver them from evil.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Look in mercy upon all who suffer,
and hear those who cry out in pain and desolation.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Bring comfort to the dying,
and gladden their hearts with the power of your glory.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially:
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

As we rejoice in the triumph of the cross,
we pray that the whole of creation may find fulfilment
in the eternal kingdom of God:

God of compassion,
you are slow to anger, and full of mercy,
welcoming sinners who return to you with penitent hearts.
Receive in your loving embrace all who come home to you.
Seat them at your bountiful table of grace,
that, with all your children, they may feast with delight
on all that satisfies the hungry heart.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Savior,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Help us, O Lord Jesus Christ,
to enter in your sorrows and to rejoice in your victory;
to embrace your cross and to wear your crown;
to receive the wounds of your love
and to behold you in glory and light;
for your own name's sake. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Thomas Ken (1637-1711) and the closing prayer is by St. Bridget of Sweden (1303-1373).