OREMUS: 18 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 17 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Cyril, Bishop of Jerusalem, Teacher of the Faith, 386

your steadfast love is shown to every living thing;
your word calls us forth and your law revives and refreshes.
You call us to repent our misuse of your gifts,
that we may be transformed by your wisdom
to manifest for others
the mercy of our crucified and risen Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 77

I will cry aloud to God;*
 I will cry aloud and he will hear me.
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;*
 my hands were stretched out by night and did not tire;
   I refused to be comforted.
I think of God, I am restless,*
 I ponder and my spirit faints.
You will not let my eyelids close;*
 I am troubled and I cannot speak.
I consider the days of old;*
 I remember the years long past;
I commune with my heart in the night;*
 I ponder and search my mind.
Will the Lord cast me off for ever?*
 will he no more show his favour?
Has his lovingkindness come to an end for ever?*
 has his promise failed for evermore?
Has God forgotten to be gracious?*
 has he, in his anger, withheld his compassion?
And I said, 'My grief is this:*
 the right hand of the Most High has lost its power.'
I will remember the works of the Lord,*
 and call to mind your wonders of old time.
I will meditate on all your acts*
 and ponder your mighty deeds.
Your way, O God, is holy;*
 who is so great a god as our God?
You are the God who works wonders*
 and have declared your power among the peoples.
By your strength you have redeemed your people,*
 the children of Jacob and Joseph.
The waters saw you, O God;
   the waters saw you and trembled;*
 the very depths were shaken.
The clouds poured out water; the skies thundered;*
 your arrows flashed to and fro;
The sound of your thunder was in the whirlwind;
   your lightnings lit up the world;*
 the earth trembled and shook.
Your way was in the sea,
   and your paths in the great waters,*
 yet your footsteps were not seen.

You led your people like a flock*
 by the hand of Moses and Aaron.

The Song of Manasseh (Manasseh 1a,2,4,6,7a,b,9a,c,11,12,14b,15b)

Lord almighty and God of our ancestors,
you who made heaven and earth in all their glory:
All things tremble with awe at your presence,
before your great and mighty power.
Immeasurable and unsearchable is your promised mercy,
for you are God, Most High.
You are full of compassion, longsuffering and very merciful,
and you relent at human suffering.
O God, according to your great goodness,
you have promised forgiveness for repentance
to those who have sinned against you.
The sins I have committed against you
are more in number than the sands of the sea.
I am not worthy to look up to the height of heaven,
because of the multitude of my iniquities.
And now I bend the knee of my heart before you,
imploring your kindness upon me.
I have sinned, O God, I have sinned,
and I acknowledge my transgressions.
Unworthy as I am, you will save me,
according to your great mercy.
For all the host of heaven sings your praise,
and your glory is for ever and ever.

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Genesis 41:1a, 8, 14-24]:

After two whole years, Pharaoh dreamed that he was standing by the Nile, In the morning his spirit was troubled; so he sent and called for all the magicians of Egypt and all its wise men. Pharaoh told them his dreams, but there was no one who could interpret them to Pharaoh.

Then Pharaoh sent for Joseph, and he was hurriedly brought out of the dungeon. When he had shaved himself and changed his clothes, he came in before Pharaoh. And Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'I have had a dream, and there is no one who can interpret it. I have heard it said of you that when you hear a dream you can interpret it.' Joseph answered Pharaoh, 'It is not I; God will give Pharaoh a favourable answer.'
Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, 'In my dream I was standing on the banks of the Nile; and seven cows, fat and sleek, came up out of the Nile and fed in the reed grass. Then seven other cows came up after them, poor, very ugly, and thin. Never had I seen such ugly ones in all the land of Egypt. The thin and ugly cows ate up the first seven fat cows, but when they had eaten them no one would have known that they had done so, for they were still as ugly as before. Then I awoke. I fell asleep a second time and I saw in my dream seven ears of grain, full and good, growing on one stalk, and seven ears, withered, thin, and blighted by the east wind, sprouting after them; and the thin ears swallowed up the seven good ears. But when I told it to the magicians, there was no one who could explain it to me.'

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Houghton

In Jesus we live, in Jesus we rest,
and thankful receive his dying bequest;
the cup of salvation his mercy bestows
and all from his passion, our happiness flows.

With mystical wine he comforts us here,
and gladly we join, till Jesus appear,
with hearty thanksgiving his death to record;
the living, the living should sing of their Lord.

He hallowed the cup which now we receive,
the pledge of our hope with Jesus to live,
(where sorrow and sadness shall never be found)
with glory and gladness eternally crowned.

The fruit of the vine (the joy it implies)
again we shall join to drink in the skies,
exult in his favour, our triumph renew;
and I, saith the Saviour, will drink it with you.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 10:14-22]:

Therefore, my dear friends,* flee from the worship of idols. 15I speak as to sensible people; judge for yourselves what I say. 16The cup of blessing that we bless, is it not a sharing in the blood of Christ? The bread that we break, is it not a sharing in the body of Christ? 17Because there is one bread, we who are many are one body, for we all partake of the one bread. 18Consider the people of Israel;* are not those who eat the sacrifices partners in the altar? 19What do I imply then? That food sacrificed to idols is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20No, I imply that what pagans sacrifice, they sacrifice to demons and not to God. I do not want you to be partners with demons. 21You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons. You cannot partake of the table of the Lord and the table of demons. 22Or are we provoking the Lord to jealousy? Are we stronger than he?

Teach us, O Lord, the way of your statutes:
And lead us in the path of your commandments.

Keep our nation under your care:
And guide us in justice and truth.

O Lord, deal graciously with your servants;
teach us discernment and knowledge.

Let not the needy be forgotten:
Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Guide the meek in judgement:
And teach your ways to the gentle.

Lord, remember your people:
Whom you have purchased and redeemed of old.

God of saving power,
remember us in times of sorrow and despair.
Redeem us with your strength
and guide us through the wilderness.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Strengthen, O Lord,
the bishops of your Church
in their special calling
to be teachers and ministers of the Sacraments,
so that they, like your servant Cyril of Jerusalem,
may effectively instruct your people
in Christian faith and practice;
and that we, taught by them,
may enter more fully into the celebration
of the Paschal mystery;

God of love,
turn our hearts to your ways;
and give us peace. Amen.

Born in about the year 315, probably in Caesarea, Cyril became Bishop of Jerusalem when he was about thirty-four years old. There he nurtured both the resident Christian population and the many pilgrims, following the end of the era of persecution, who were beginning to make their way from all over Christendom to the places associated with Christ. Cyril taught the faith in line with the orthodoxy of the Council of Nicaea and the credal statement that became associated with it. Though he found difficulty with the word in that creed which described Jesus as being 'of one substance with the Father', nevertheless he took the side of the Nicene Party against the Arians, who denied the divinity of Christ. His teaching through his Catechetical Lectures, intended for those preparing for baptism, show him to be a man profoundly orthodox and sound, and his liturgical innovations to celebrate the observance of Holy Week and Easter are the foundation of Christian practices to this day. He died in the year 386. [Exciting Holiness]