OREMUS: 11 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 10 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Blessed are you, God of the covenant,
long ago you embraced your people
and promised them your blessing.
You called Abraham to trust your promise
and you gave him the faith to follow that call.
You call us in our baptism to serve you,
trusting that Christ will transform us
in the glory of the eternal Easter.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 56

Have mercy on me, O God,
   for my enemies are hounding me;*
 all day long they assault and oppress me.
They hound me all the day long;*
 truly there are many who fight against me, O Most High.
Whenever I am afraid,*
 I will put my trust in you.
In God, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
 for what can flesh do to me?
All day long they damage my cause;*
 their only thought is to do me evil.
They band together; they lie in wait;*
 they spy upon my footsteps; because they seek my life.
Shall they escape despite their wickedness?*
 O God, in your anger, cast down the peoples.
You have noted my lamentation;
   put my tears into your bottle;*
 are they not recorded in your book?
Whenever I call upon you,
   my enemies will be put to flight;*
 this I know, for God is on my side.
In God the Lord, whose word I praise,
   in God I trust and will not be afraid,*
 for what can mortals do to me?
I am bound by the vow I made to you, O God;*
 I will present to you thankofferings;
For you have rescued my soul from death
   and my feet from stumbling,*
 that I may walk before God in the light of the living.

The Song of Manasseh (Manasseh 1a,2,4,6,7a,b,9a,c,11,12,14b,15b)

Lord almighty and God of our ancestors,
you who made heaven and earth in all their glory:
All things tremble with awe at your presence,
before your great and mighty power.
Immeasurable and unsearchable is your promised mercy,
for you are God, Most High.
You are full of compassion, longsuffering and very merciful,
and you relent at human suffering.
O God, according to your great goodness,
you have promised forgiveness for repentance
to those who have sinned against you.
The sins I have committed against you
are more in number than the sands of the sea.
I am not worthy to look up to the height of heaven,
because of the multitude of my iniquities.
And now I bend the knee of my heart before you,
imploring your kindness upon me.
I have sinned, O God, I have sinned,
and I acknowledge my transgressions.
Unworthy as I am, you will save me,
according to your great mercy.
For all the host of heaven sings your praise,
and your glory is for ever and ever.

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Genesis 27:46-28:4, 10-22]:

Rebekah said to Isaac, 'I am weary of my life because of the Hittite women. If Jacob marries one of the Hittite women such as these, one of the women of the land, what good will my life be to me?'

Then Isaac called Jacob and blessed him, and charged him, 'You shall not marry one of the Canaanite women. Go at once to Paddan-aram to the house of Bethuel, your mother?s father; and take as wife from there one of the daughters of Laban, your mother?s brother. May God Almighty bless you and make you fruitful and numerous, that you may become a company of peoples. May he give to you the blessing of Abraham, to you and to your offspring with you, so that you may take possession of the land where you now live as an alien?land that God gave to Abraham.'

Jacob left Beer-sheba and went towards Haran. He came to a certain place and stayed there for the night, because the sun had set. Taking one of the stones of the place, he put it under his head and lay down in that place. And he dreamed that there was a ladder set up on the earth, the top of it reaching to heaven; and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it. And the Lord stood beside him and said, 'I am the Lord, the God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and to your offspring; and your offspring shall be like the dust of the earth, and you shall spread abroad to the west and to the east and to the north and to the south; and all the families of the earth shall be blessed in you and in your offspring. Know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you.? Then Jacob woke from his sleep and said, ?Surely the Lord is in this place?and I did not know it!? And he was afraid, and said, ?How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven.'

So Jacob rose early in the morning, and he took the stone that he had put under his head and set it up for a pillar and poured oil on the top of it. He called that place Bethel; but the name of the city was Luz at the first. Then Jacob made a vow, saying, 'If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat and clothing to wear, so that I come again to my father's house in peace, then the Lord shall be my God, and this stone, which I have set up for a pillar, shall be God's house; and of all that you give me I will surely give one-tenth to you.'

HYMN
Words: John Newton (1725-1807)
Tune: Eisenach, Hereford

Be still, my heart, these anxious cares
To thee are burdens, thorns and snares;
They cast dishonour on the Lord,
And contradict His gracious word.

Brought safely by His hand thus far,
Why wilt thou now give place to fear?
How canst thou want if He provide,
Or lose thy way with such a guide?

When first before His mercy-seat
Thou didst to Him thine all commit;
He gave thee warrant from that hour
To trust His wisdom, love and power.

Did ever trouble yet befall,
And He refuse to hear thy call?
And has He not His promise passed,
That thou shalt overcome at last?

He who has helped me hitherto
Will help me all my journey through,
And give me daily cause to raise
New hymns of glory to His praise.

Though rough and thorny be the road,
It leads thee home apace to God:
Then count thy present trials small,
For heaven will make amends for all.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 6:12-end]:

"All things are lawful for me", but not all things are beneficial. "All things are lawful for me", but I will not be dominated by anything. ?Food is meant for the stomach and the stomach for food?, and God will destroy both one and the other. The body is meant not for fornication but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. And God raised the Lord and will also raise us by his power. Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Should I therefore take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? Never! Do you not know that whoever is united to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For it is said, ?The two shall be one flesh.? But anyone united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him. Shun fornication! Every sin that a person commits is outside the body; but the fornicator sins against the body itself. Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, which you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you were bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body.

Holy Father,
you have reconciled us to yourself in Christ;
by your Spirit
you enable us to live as your children.

We pray for personal relationships
the home, and family life....
children deprived of home....
friends, relations and neighbours....
relationships in daily life and work....
those who are estranged....
ministries of care and healing...

Holy Father, we give you thanks
for the obedience of Christ fulfilled in the cross,
his bearing of the sin of the world,
his mercy for the world, which never fails....

for the joy of human love and friendship,
the lives to which our own are bound,
the gift of peace with you and each other....

for the communities in whose life we share
and all relationships
in which reconciliation may be known....

Help us to share in Christ's ministry
and to love and serve one another in peace;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,
who in the unity of the Spirit
is one with you for ever. Amen.

Giver of courage,
when our path is hard and dangerous,
give us the grace of quiet confidence.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ,

the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Amen.

May your presence bless our souls, O God,
and shed a joyful light;
that the sorrows of the night
may be chased away by the hallowed morn to come. Amen.

The closing sentence is adapted from Paraphrase 30 of the Scottish Paraphrases, 1781.