OREMUS: 10 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Mar 9 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Blessed are you, God of the covenant,
long ago you embraced your people
and promised them your blessing.
You called Abraham to trust your promise
and you gave him the faith to follow that call.
You call us in our baptism to serve you,
trusting that Christ will transform us
in the glory of the eternal Easter.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

The Song of Christ(s Glory (Philippians 2.511)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
but he did not cling to equality with God.
He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
and was born in our human likeness.
Being found in human form he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted him,
and bestowed on him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth;
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

FIRST READING [Genesis 27:30-40]:

As soon as Isaac had finished blessing Jacob, when Jacob had scarcely gone out from the presence of his father Isaac, his brother Esau came in from his hunting. He also prepared savoury food, and brought it to his father. And he said to his father, ?Let my father sit up and eat of his son?s game, so that you may bless me.? His father Isaac said to him, ?Who are you?? He answered, ?I am your firstborn son, Esau.? Then Isaac trembled violently, and said, ?Who was it then that hunted game and brought it to me, and I ate it all before you came, and I have blessed him??yes, and blessed he shall be!? When Esau heard his father?s words, he cried out with an exceedingly great and bitter cry, and said to his father, ?Bless me, me also, father!? But he said, ?Your brother came deceitfully, and he has taken away your blessing.? Esau said, ?Is he not rightly named Jacob? For he has supplanted me these two times. He took away my birthright; and look, now he has taken away my blessing.? Then he said, ?Have you not reserved a blessing for me?? Isaac answered Esau, ?I have already made him your lord, and I have given him all his brothers as servants, and with grain and wine I have sustained him. What then can I do for you, my son?? Esau said to his father, ?Have you only one blessing, father? Bless me, me also, father!? And Esau lifted up his voice and wept.

Then his father Isaac answered him:
?See, away from the fatness of the earth shall your home be,
ÿÿÿand away from the dew of heaven on high.
By your sword you shall live,
ÿÿÿand you shall serve your brother;
but when you break loose,
ÿÿÿyou shall break his yoke from your neck.?

HYMN
Words: Jean S Pigott (1845-1882)
Tune: All Saints (Darmstadt), Westminster Abbey

Thou whose Name is callŠd Jesus,
Risen Lord of life and power,
O it is so sweet to trust Thee
Every day and every hour!
Of Thy wondrous grace I sing,
Saviour, Counsellor and King.

Thou canst keep my feet from falling,
Even my poor wayward feet -
Thou who dost present me faultless,
In Thy righteousness complete;
Jesus, Lord, in knowing Thee,
O what strength and victory!

All the sin in me, my Saviour,
Thou canst conquer and subdue;
With Thy sanctifying power
Permeate my spirit through;
Let Thy government increase,
Risen, crownŠd, Prince of Peace.

Thou canst keep me upward looking,
Ever upward in Thy face;
Thou canst make me stand, upholden
By the greatness of Thy grace;
Every promise of Thy Word
Now I claim from Thee, dear Lord.

O what joy to trust Thee, Jesus,
Mighty Victor o'er the grave,
And to learn amid earth's shadows
Thine unceasing power to save!
Only those who prove Thee know
What the grace Thou dost bestow.

Make my life a bright outshining
Of Thy life, that all may see
Thine own resurrection power
Mightily put forth in me;
Ever let my heart become
Yet more consciously Thy home.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 6:1-11]:

When any of you has a grievance against another, do you dare to take it to court before the unrighteous, instead of taking it before the saints? Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? Do you not know that we are to judge angels?to say nothing of ordinary matters? If you have ordinary cases, then, do you appoint as judges those who have no standing in the church? I say this to your shame. Can it be that there is no one among you wise enough to decide between one believer and another, but a believer goes to court against a believer?and before unbelievers at that?

In fact, to have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? But you yourselves wrong and defraud?and believers at that.

Do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! Fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers?none of these will inherit the kingdom of God. And this is what some of you used to be. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

O God, source of love and compassion
in the suffering of all your children,
we offer our compassion also
for the hungry and the sick in body, mind, or heart;
the depressed and the lonely;
all living in fear and under stress;
all stricken in grief;
the unemployed and the rejected;
and those burning with hatred.
Strengthen us to work for their healing,
and inspire us to build with you
the kingdom of love
in which none will cause suffering to others
and all will be caring, loving children of yours,
our compassionate, all-embracing God,
ever present, ever loving,
never failing. Amen.

Remember us, gracious God,
when we are lonely and depressed,
and support us in the dark night of grief and despair,
for your love is faithful
and you do not forget your broken ones.
We ask this in the Name of Jesus Christ the Lord. Amen.

May your presence bless our souls, O God,
and shed a joyful light;
that the sorrows of the night
may be chased away by the hallowed morn to come. Amen.

The closing sentence is adapted from Paraphrase 30 of the Scottish Paraphrases, 1781.

The intercession is reprinted by permission from _The Worship Sourcebook_, (c) 2004 CRC Publications.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com