OREMUS: 9 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 8 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, March 9, 2009
Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy, Priest, Poet, 1929

Blessed are you, God of the covenant,
long ago you embraced your people
and promised them your blessing.
You called Abraham to trust your promise
and you gave him the faith to follow that call.
You call us in our baptism to serve you,
trusting that Christ will transform us
in the glory of the eternal Easter.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 39

I said, 'I will keep watch upon my ways,*
 so that I do not offend with my tongue.
'I will put a muzzle on my mouth*
 while the wicked are in my presence.'
So I held my tongue and said nothing;*
 I refrained from rash words;
   but my pain became unbearable.
My heart was hot within me;
   while I pondered, the fire burst into flame;*
 I spoke out with my tongue:
Lord, let me know my end and the number of my days,*
 so that I may know how short my life is.
You have given me a mere handful of days,
   and my lifetime is as nothing in your sight;*
 truly, even those who stand erect are but a puff of wind.
We walk about like a shadow
   and in vain we are in turmoil;*
 we heap up riches and cannot tell who will gather them.
And now, what is my hope?*
 O Lord, my hope is in you.
Deliver me from all my transgressions*
 and do not make me the taunt of the fool.
I fell silent and did not open my mouth,*
 for surely it was you that did it.
Take your affliction from me;*
 I am worn down by the blows of your hand.
With rebukes for sin you punish us;
   like a moth you eat away all that is dear to us;*
 truly, everyone is but a puff of wind.
Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry;*
 hold not your peace at my tears.
For I am but a sojourner with you,*
 a wayfarer, as all my forebears were.
Turn your gaze from me, that I may be glad again,*
 before I go my way and am no more.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.611)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,( says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.(

FIRST READING [Genesis 27:1-29]:

When Isaac was old and his eyes were dim so that he could not see, he called his elder son Esau and said to him, ?My son?; and he answered, ?Here I am.? He said, ?See, I am old; I do not know the day of my death. Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me. Then prepare for me savoury food, such as I like, and bring it to me to eat, so that I may bless you before I die.?

Now Rebekah was listening when Isaac spoke to his son Esau. So when Esau went to the field to hunt for game and bring it, Rebekah said to her son Jacob, ?I heard your father say to your brother Esau, ?Bring me game, and prepare for me savoury food to eat, that I may bless you before the Lord before I die.? Now therefore, my son, obey my word as I command you. Go to the flock, and get me two choice kids, so that I may prepare from them savoury food for your father, such as he likes; and you shall take it to your father to eat, so that he may bless you before he dies.? But Jacob said to his mother Rebekah, ?Look, my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I am a man of smooth skin. Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be mocking him, and bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.? His mother said to him, ?Let your curse be on me, my son; only obey my word, and go, get them for me.? So he went and got them and brought them to his mother; and his mother prepared savoury food, such as his father loved. Then Rebekah took the best garments of her elder son Esau, which were with her in the house, and put them on her younger son Jacob; and she put the skins of the kids on his hands and on the smooth part of his neck. Then she handed the savoury food, and the bread that she had prepared, to her son Jacob.

So he went in to his father, and said, ?My father?; and he said, ?Here I am; who are you, my son?? Jacob said to his father, ?I am Esau your firstborn. I have done as you told me; now sit up and eat of my game, so that you may bless me.? But Isaac said to his son, ?How is it that you have found it so quickly, my son?? He answered, ?Because the Lord your God granted me success.? Then Isaac said to Jacob, ?Come near, that I may feel you, my son, to know whether you are really my son Esau or not.? So Jacob went up to his father Isaac, who felt him and said, ?The voice is Jacob?s voice, but the hands are the hands of Esau.? He did not recognize him, because his hands were hairy like his brother Esau?s hands; so he blessed him. He said, ?Are you really my son Esau?? He answered, ?I am.? Then he said, ?Bring it to me, that I may eat of my son?s game and bless you.? So he brought it to him, and he ate; and he brought him wine, and he drank. Then his father Isaac said to him, ?Come near and kiss me, my son.? So he came near and kissed him; and he smelled the smell of his garments, and blessed him, and said,
?Ah, the smell of my son
ÿÿÿis like the smell of a field that the Lord has blessed.
May God give you of the dew of heaven,
ÿÿÿand of the fatness of the earth,
ÿÿÿand plenty of grain and wine.
Let peoples serve you,
ÿÿÿand nations bow down to you.
Be lord over your brothers,
ÿÿÿand may your mother?s sons bow down to you.
Cursed be everyone who curses you,
ÿÿÿand blessed be everyone who blesses you!?

HYMN
Words: Geoffrey Anketel Studdert-Kennedy
Tune: Morning Song

Not here for high and holy things
we render thanks to thee,
but for the common things of earth,
the purple pageantry
of dawning and of dying days,
the splendor of the sea,

the royal robes of autumn moors,
the golden gates of spring,
the velvet of soft summer nights,
the silver glistering
of all the million million stars,
the silent song they sing,

of faith and hope and love undimmed,
undying still through death,
the resurrection of the world,
what time there comes the breath
of dawn that rustles through the trees,
and that clear voice that saith:

Awake, awake to love and work!
The lark is in the sky,
the fields are wet with diamond dew,
the worlds awake to cry
their blessings on the Lord of life,
as he goes meekly by.

Come, let thy voice be one with theirs,
shout with their shout of praise;
see how the giant sun soars up,
great lord of years and days!
So let the love of Jesus come
and set thy soul ablaze,

to give and give, and give again,
what God hath given thee;
to spend thyself nor count the cost;
to serve right gloriously
the God who gave all worlds that are,
and all that are to be.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 5]:

It is actually reported that there is sexual immorality among you, and of a kind that is not found even among pagans; for a man is living with his father?s wife. 2And you are arrogant! Should you not rather have mourned, so that he who has done this would have been removed from among you?
3ÿFor though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present I have already pronounced judgement 4in the name of the Lord Jesus on the man who has done such a thing.* When you are assembled, and my spirit is present with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5you are to hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.*

6Your boasting is not a good thing. Do you not know that a little yeast leavens the whole batch of dough? 7Clean out the old yeast so that you may be a new batch, as you really are unleavened. For our paschal lamb, Christ, has been sacrificed. 8Therefore, let us celebrate the festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

Sexual Immorality Must Be Judged
9I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral persons? 10not at all meaning the immoral of this world, or the greedy and robbers, or idolaters, since you would then need to go out of the world. 11But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother or sister* who is sexually immoral or greedy, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or robber. Do not even eat with such a one. 12For what have I to do with judging those outside? Is it not those who are inside that you are to judge? 13God will judge those outside. ?Drive out the wicked person from among you.?

We pray to the Lord for the courage
to give ourselves to him this Lent.
Lord, give us strength
and hear our prayer.

Give us the courage to look beyond ourselves
to mission in your world.

May the blood and water flowing from the side of Jesus
bring forgiveness to your people
and help us to face the cost of proclaiming salvation.
Lord, give us strength
and hear our prayer.

Give us the courage to give up war, bitterness and hatred,
and to seek peace.

May the shoulders of the risen Jesus,
once scourged by soldiers,
bear the burden of political and military conflict in our world.
Lord, give us strength
and hear our prayer.

Give us the courage to give up quarrels, strife and jealousy
in our families, neighbourhoods and communities.

May the presence of the risen Jesus,
his body once broken and now made whole,
bring peace and direction as we live with one another.
Lord, give us strength
and hear our prayer.

Give us the courage to live for others,
giving time, care and comfort to the sick and those in need.

May the wounded hands of Jesus bring his healing,
and the light of his presence fill their lives.

Lord, give us strength
and hear our prayer.

Give us the courage to give up our fear of death
and to rejoice with those who have died in faith.

May the risen Lord Jesus,
whose feet were once nailed to cross,
walk alongside the dying and bereaved,
and lead them and all your Church through death
to the gate of glory.
Lord, give us strength
and hear our prayer.

God our hope,
when we are troubled by fear and uncertainty,
teach us to commit our lives to your care
and to go forward on our pilgrimage,
trusting in the knowledge of your love and forgiveness;
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

God, shepherd of your people,
whose servant Geoffrey revealed the loving service of Christ
in his ministry as a pastor of your people:
awaken within us the love of Christ
and keep us faithful to our Christian calling;
through him who laid down his life for us,
but is alive and reigns with you, now and for ever. Amen.

May your presence bless our souls, O God,
and shed a joyful light;
that the sorrows of the night
may be chased away by the hallowed morn to come. Amen.

The closing sentence is adapted from Paraphrase 30 of the Scottish Paraphrases, 1781.

The first collect is from _Daily Prayer_, copyright (c) The Scottish Episcopal Church, 1998. Used with permission.
http://www.scottishepiscopal.com

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops( Council, 2002.

Born in 1883, Studdert Kennedy was a young vicar in Worcester who became
an army chaplain during the First World War. His warm personality soon
earned the respect of soldiers, who nicknamed him 'Woodbine Willie' after the
brand of cigarettes he shared with them. After the First World War, he became
a writer and regular preacher, drawing large crowds, who were attracted by his
combination of traditional sacramental theology with more unconventional
theological views. He worked tirelessly for the Christian Industrial Fellowship,
but his frail health gave way and he died (still a young man) on this day in
1929. [Exciting Holiness]