OREMUS: 8 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Mar 7 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, March 8, 2009
The Second Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God of the covenant,
long ago you embraced your people
and promised them your blessing.
You called Abraham to trust your promise
and you gave him the faith to follow that call.
You call us in our baptism to serve you,
trusting that Christ will transform us
in the glory of the eternal Easter.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 86

Bow down your ear, O Lord, and answer me,*
 for I am poor and in misery.
Keep watch over my life, for I am faithful;*
 save your servant who trusts in you.
Be merciful to me, O Lord, for you are my God;*
 I call upon you all the day long.
Gladden the soul of your servant,*
 for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,*
 and great is your love towards all who call upon you.
Give ear, O Lord, to my prayer,*
 and attend to the voice of my supplications.
In the time of my trouble I will call upon you,*
 for you will answer me.
Among the gods there is none like you, O Lord,*
 nor anything like your works.
All nations you have made
   will come and worship you, O Lord,*
 and glorify your name.
For you are great; you do wondrous things;*
 and you alone are God.
Teach me your way, O Lord,
   and I will walk in your truth;*
 knit my heart to you that I may fear your name.
I will thank you, O Lord my God, with all my heart,*
 and glorify your name for evermore.
For great is your love towards me;*
 you have delivered me from the nethermost Pit.
The arrogant rise up against me, O God,
   and a violent band seeks my life;*
 they have not set you before their eyes.
But you, O Lord, are gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and full of kindness and truth.
Turn to me and have mercy upon me;*
 give your strength to your servant;
   and save the child of your handmaid.
Show me a sign of your favour,
   so that those who hate me may see it and be ashamed;*
 because you, O Lord, have helped me and comforted me.

Psalm 142

I cry to the Lord with my voice;*
 to the Lord I make loud supplication.
I pour out my complaint before him*
 and tell him all my trouble.
When my spirit languishes within me, you know my path;*
 in the way wherein I walk they have hidden a trap for me.
I look to my right hand and find no one who knows me;*
 I have no place to flee to and no one cares for me.
I cry out to you, O Lord;*
 I say, 'You are my refuge,
   my portion in the land of the living.'
Listen to my cry for help,
   for I have been brought very low;*
 save me from those who pursue me,
   for they are too strong for me.
Bring me out of prison,
   that I may give thanks to your name;*
 when you have dealt bountifully with me,
   the righteous will gather around me.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.16)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.(

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [1 Kings 8:37-43]:

Solomon said, ÿ?If there is famine in the land, if there is plague, blight, mildew, locust, or caterpillar; if their enemy besieges them in any of their cities; whatever plague, whatever sickness there is; whatever prayer, whatever plea there is from any individual or from all your people Israel, all knowing the afflictions of their own hearts so that they stretch out their hands towards this house; then hear in heaven your dwelling-place, forgive, act, and render to all whose hearts you know?according to all their ways, for only you know what is in every human heart? so that they may fear you all the days that they live in the land that you gave to our ancestors.

?Likewise when a foreigner, who is not of your people Israel, comes from a distant land because of your name ?for they shall hear of your great name, your mighty hand, and your outstretched arm?when a foreigner comes and prays towards this house, then hear in heaven your dwelling-place, and do according to all that the foreigner calls to you, so that all the peoples of the earth may know your name and fear you, as do your people Israel, and so that they may know that your name has been invoked on this house that I have built.?

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Farmborough, Surrey

My heart is full of Christ, and longs
Its glorious matter to declare!
Of him I make my loftier songs,
I cannot from his praise forbear;
My ready tongue makes haste to sing
The glories of my heavenly king.

Fairer than all the earth-born race,
Perfect in comeliness thou art;
Replenished are thy lips with grace,
And full of love thy tender heart:
God ever blest! We bow the knee
And own all fullness dwells in thee.

Gird on thy thigh the Spirit's sword,
And take to thee thy power divine;
Stir up thy strength, almighty Lord,
All power and majesty are thine:
Assert thy worship and renown;
O all-redeeming God, come down!

Come, and maintain thy righteous cause,
And let thy glorious toil succeed;
Dispread the victory of thy cross,
Ride on, and prosper in thy deed;
Through earth triumphantly ride one,
And reign in every heart alone.

SECOND READING [Colossians 3:12-17]:

As God?s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

With faith and love and in union with Christ,
let us offer our prayer before the throne of grace.

Have mercy on your people,
for whom your Son laid down his life.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Bring healing and wholeness to people and nations,
and have pity on those torn apart by division.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Strengthen all who are persecuted for your name?s sake,
and deliver them from evil.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Look in mercy upon all who suffer,
and hear those who cry out in pain and desolation.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

Bring comfort to the dying,
and gladden their hearts with the power of your glory.
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

We pray for your Church, especially:
Graciously hear us, O Lord.

As we rejoice in the triumph of the cross,
we pray that the whole of creation may find fulfilment
in the eternal kingdom of God:

Almighty God,
you have given your only Son
to be for us a sacrifice for sin,
and also an example of godly life:
Give us grace that we may always thankfully receive
the benefits of his sacrifice,
and also daily endeavor to follow
the blessed steps of his most holy life;
through the same Jesus Christ our Lord,

May your presence bless our souls, O God,
and shed a joyful light;
that the sorrows of the night
may be chased away by the hallowed morn to come. Amen.

The closing sentence is adapted from Paraphrase 30 of the Scottish Paraphrases, 1781.