OREMUS: 4 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Mar 3 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 4

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hardpressed;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
   and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying,
'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 16

Protect me, O God, for I take refuge in you;*
 I have said to the Lord, 'You are my Lord,
   my good above all other.'
All my delight is upon the godly that are in the land,*
 upon those who are noble among the people.
But those who run after other gods*
 shall have their troubles multiplied.
Their libations of blood I will not offer,*
 nor take the names of their gods upon my lips.
O Lord, you are my portion and my cup;*
 it is you who uphold my lot.
My boundaries enclose a pleasant land;*
 indeed, I have a goodly heritage.
I will bless the Lord who gives me counsel;*
 my heart teaches me, night after night.
I have set the Lord always before me;*
 because he is at my right hand I shall not fall.
My heart, therefore, is glad and my spirit rejoices;*
 my body also shall rest in hope.
For you will not abandon me to the grave,*
 nor let your holy one see the Pit.
You will show me the path of life;*
 in your presence there is fullness of joy,
   and in your right hand are pleasures for evermore.

The Song of Manasseh (Manasseh 1a,2,4,6,7a,b,9a,c,11,12,14b,15b)

Lord almighty and God of our ancestors,
you who made heaven and earth in all their glory:
All things tremble with awe at your presence,
before your great and mighty power.
Immeasurable and unsearchable is your promised mercy,
for you are God, Most High.
You are full of compassion, longsuffering and very merciful,
and you relent at human suffering.
O God, according to your great goodness,
you have promised forgiveness for repentance
to those who have sinned against you.
The sins I have committed against you
are more in number than the sands of the sea.
I am not worthy to look up to the height of heaven,
because of the multitude of my iniquities.
And now I bend the knee of my heart before you,
imploring your kindness upon me.
I have sinned, O God, I have sinned,
and I acknowledge my transgressions.
Unworthy as I am, you will save me,
according to your great mercy.
For all the host of heaven sings your praise,
and your glory is for ever and ever.

Psalm 147:13-end

Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 2]:

He said to me: Oÿmortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you. And when he spoke to me, a spirit entered into me and set me on my feet; and I heard him speaking to me. He said to me, Mortal, I am sending you to the people of Israel, to a nation of rebels who have rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have transgressed against me to this very day. The descendants are impudent and stubborn. I am sending you to them, and you shall say to them, ?Thus says the Lord God.? Whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house), they shall know that there has been a prophet among them. And you, Oÿmortal, do not be afraid of them, and do not be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns surround you and you live among scorpions; do not be afraid of their words, and do not be dismayed at their looks, for they are a rebellious house. You shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear; for they are a rebellious house.

But you, mortal, hear what I say to you; do not be rebellious like that rebellious house; open your mouth and eat what I give you. I looked, and a hand was stretched out to me, and a written scroll was in it. He spread it before me; it had writing on the front and on the back, and written on it were words of lamentation and mourning and woe.

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Tune: Deus tuorum militum, Eisenach, Fulda, Melcombe, Warrington and others

Lord, speak to me, that I may speak
In living echoes of thy tone;
As you have sought, so let me seek
Thy erring children lost and lone.

O lead me, Lord, that I may lead
The wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed
Thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that, while I stand
Firm on the rock, and strong in thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand
To wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach
The precious things thou dost impart;
And wing my words, that they may reach
The hidden depths of many a heart.

O give thine own sweet rest to me,
That I may speak with soothing power
A word in season, as from thee,
To weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with thy fullness, Lord,
Until my very heart o'erflow
In kindling thought and glowing word,
Thy love to tell, thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me,
Just as thou wilt, and when, and where,
Until thy blessŠd face I see,
Thy rest, thy joy, thy glory share.

SECOND READING [Matthew 9:1-13]:

And after getting into a boat Jesus crossed the water and came to his own town.

And just then some people were carrying a paralysed man lying on a bed. When Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, ?Take heart, son; your sins are forgiven.? Then some of the scribes said to themselves, ?This man is blaspheming.? But Jesus, perceiving their thoughts, said, ?Why do you think evil in your hearts? For which is easier, to say, ?Your sins are forgiven?, or to say, ?Stand up and walk?? But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins??he then said to the paralytic??Stand up, take your bed and go to your home.? And he stood up and went to his home. When the crowds saw it, they were filled with awe, and they glorified God, who had given such authority to human beings.

As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, ?Follow me.? And he got up and followed him.

And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, ?Why does your teacher eat with tax-collectors and sinners?? But when he heard this, he said, ?Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, ?I desire mercy, not sacrifice.? For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.?

Teach us, O Lord, the way of your statutes:
And lead us in the path of your commandments.

Keep our nation under your care:
And guide us in justice and truth.

O Lord, deal graciously with your servants;
teach us discernment and knowledge.

Let not the needy be forgotten:
Nor the hope of the poor be taken away.

Guide the meek in judgement:
And teach your ways to the gentle.

Lord, remember your people:
Whom you have purchased and redeemed of old.

O Lord, who did not abandon your Faithful One in the Pit
but raised him victorious from the grave:
show the path of life
   to those redeemed as his own possession,
that they may attain to the fullness of joy;

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.