OREMUS: 2 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Mar 1 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, March 2, 2009
Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, Missionary, 672

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the waterbrooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holyday.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his lovingkindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.611)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,( says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.(

FIRST READING [Genesis 24:1-27]:

Now Abraham was old, well advanced in years; and the Lord had blessed Abraham in all things. Abraham said to his servant, the oldest of his house, who had charge of all that he had, ‘Put your hand under my thigh and I will make you swear by the Lord, the God of heaven and earth, that you will not get a wife for my son from the daughters of the Canaanites, among whom I live, but will go to my country and to my kindred and get a wife for my son Isaac.’ The servant said to him, ‘Perhaps the woman may not be willing to follow me to this land; must I then take your son back to the land from which you came?’ Abraham said to him, ‘See to it that you do not take my son back there. The Lord, the God of heaven, who took me from my father’s house and from the land of my birth, and who spoke to me and swore to me, “To your offspring I will give this land”, he will send his angel before you; you shall take a wife for my son from there. But if the woman is not willing to follow you, then you will be free from this oath of mine; only you must not take my son back there.’ So the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master and swore to him concerning this matter.

Then the servant took ten of his master’s camels and departed, taking all kinds of choice gifts from his master; and he set out and went to Aram-naharaim, to the city of Nahor. He made the camels kneel down outside the city by the well of water; it was towards evening, the time when women go out to draw water. And he said, ‘O Lord, God of my master Abraham, please grant me success today and show steadfast love to my master Abraham. I am standing here by the spring of water, and the daughters of the townspeople are coming out to draw water. Let the girl to whom I shall say, “Please offer your jar that I may drink”, and who shall say, “Drink, and I will water your camels”—let her be the one whom you have appointed for your servant Isaac. By this I shall know that you have shown steadfast love to my master.’

Before he had finished speaking, there was Rebekah, who was born to Bethuel son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham’s brother, coming out with her water-jar on her shoulder. The girl was very fair to look upon, a virgin whom no man had known. She went down to the spring, filled her jar, and came up. Then the servant ran to meet her and said, ‘Please let me sip a little water from your jar.’ ‘Drink, my lord,’ she said, and quickly lowered her jar upon her hand and gave him a drink. When she had finished giving him a drink, she said, ‘I will draw for your camels also, until they have finished drinking.’ So she quickly emptied her jar into the trough and ran again to the well to draw, and she drew for all his camels. The man gazed at her in silence to learn whether or not the Lord had made his journey successful.

When the camels had finished drinking, the man took a gold nose-ring weighing a half-shekel, and two bracelets for her arms weighing ten gold shekels, and said, ‘Tell me whose daughter you are. Is there room in your father’s house for us to spend the night?’ She said to him, ‘I am the daughter of Bethuel son of Milcah, whom she bore to Nahor.’ She added, ‘We have plenty of straw and fodder and a place to spend the night.’ The man bowed his head and worshipped the Lord and said, ‘Blessed be the Lord, the God of my master Abraham, who has not forsaken his steadfast love and his faithfulness towards my master. As for me, the Lord has led me on the way to the house of my master’s kin.’

HYMN
Words: Almum flamen, vita mundi Heinrich Lindenborn (1712-1750) translated Jackson Mason (1833-1888)
Tune: Barmouth

Bounteous Spirit, ever shedding
Life the world to fill!
Swarms the fruitful globe o'erspreading,
Shoals their ocean pathway threading,
Own Thy quick'ning thrill:
Author of each creature's birth,
Life of life beneath the earth,
Everywhere, O Spirit Blest,
Thou art motion, Thou art rest.
2
Come, Creator! grace bestowing, -
All Thy sevenfold dower!
Come, Thy peace and bounty strowing,
Earth's Renewer! Thine the sowing,
Thine the gladd'ning shower.
Comforter! what joy Thou art
To the blest and faithful heart;
But to man's primeval foe
Uttermost despair and woe.

O'er the waters of creation
Moved Thy Wings Divine;
When the world, to animation
Waking 'neath Thy visitation,
Teem'd with powers benign:
Thou didst man to being call,
Didst restore him from his fall;
Pouring, like the latter rain,
Grace to quicken him again.

Thine the Gospel voices, crying
As with trumpet sound;
Till the world, in darkness lying,
Rose from deathly sleep, descrying
Heavenly light around.
Man, to reach that prize reveal'd,
Arm'd with Thee as with a shield,
Nerved and girt his fight to win,
Quells the prince of death and sin.

Lowliest homage now before Thee
Let the ransom'd pay;
For Thy wondrous gifts adore Thee,
By Thy holiness implore Thee,
While in love they pray:
Holy! Holy! we repeat,
Kneeling at Thy mercy-seat;
There unbosom every woe,
Groanings Thou alone canst know.

Fount of grace for every nation,
Refuge of the soul!
Strengthen Thou each new creation,
With the waters of salvation
Make the guilty whole:
Rule on earth the powers that be;
Give us priests inspired of Thee;
Through Thy Holy Church increase
Purest unity and peace.

Purge and sanctify us wholly
>From the leaven of ill;
Save from Satan's grasp unholy;
To a living faith and lowly
Mould the upright will;
Till the olden zeal return,
And with mutual love we burn;
Till in peace, no more to roam,
All the flock be gather'd home.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 3:1-17]:

And so, brothers and sisters, I could not speak to you as spiritual people, but rather as people of the flesh, as infants in Christ. I fed you with milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for solid food. Even now you are still not ready, for you are still of the flesh. For as long as there is jealousy and quarrelling among you, are you not of the flesh, and behaving according to human inclinations? For when one says, ‘I belong to Paul’, and another, ‘I belong to Apollos’, are you not merely human?

What then is Apollos? What is Paul? Servants through whom you came to believe, as the Lord assigned to each. I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth. So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God who gives the growth. The one who plants and the one who waters have a common purpose, and each will receive wages according to the labour of each. For we are God’s servants, working together; you are God’s field, God’s building.

According to the grace of God given to me, like a skilled master builder I laid a foundation, and someone else is building on it. Each builder must choose with care how to build on it. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one that has been laid; that foundation is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw— the work of each builder will become visible, for the Day will disclose it, because it will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test what sort of work each has done. If what has been built on the foundation survives, the builder will receive a reward. If the work is burned, the builder will suffer loss; the builder will be saved, but only as through fire.

Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God’s temple, God will destroy that person. For God’s temple is holy, and you are that temple.

Save your people, Lord, and bless your inheritance,
Govern and uphold them now and always.

Day by day, we bless you;
We praise your name for ever.

Keep us today, Lord, from all sin;

Have mercy on us, Lord, have mercy.

We long for your salvation, O Lord:
grant us understanding, that we may live.

Lord, show us your love and mercy,
For we put our trust in you.

In you, Lord, is our hope:
Let us not be confounded at the last

Creator God,
whose life-giving Spirit
wells up with streams of living water,
sustain those whose spirits are heavy
and whose wells have run dry,
through Jesus Christ,
the rock of our salvation. Amen.

Almighty God,
from the first fruits of the English nation who turned to Christ,
you called your servant Chad
to be an evangelist and bishop of his own people:
give us grace so to follow his peaceable nature,
      humble spirit and prayerful life,
that we may truly commend to others
the faith which we ourselves profess;
one God, now and for ever.Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

Chad, Bishop of Lichfield, is perhaps best known for not being Archbishop of
York. He was elected and duly installed, but various persons raised objections,
and rather than cause division in the Church he withdrew in favor of the other
candidate, Wilfrid (see 12 Oct). (The objection was that some of the bishops
who had consecrated him--although not Chad himself--were holdouts who,
even after the Synod of Whitby had supposedly settled the question in 663,
insisted on preserving Celtic customs on the date of celebrating Easter and
similar questions, instead of conforming to the customs of the remainder of
Western Christendom.) He was soon after made Bishop of Lichfield in Mercia.
There he travelled about as he had when Archbishop of York, always on foot
(until the Archbishop of Canterbury gave him a hors and ordered him to ride it,
at least on long journeys), preaching and teaching wherever he went. He served
there for only two and a half years before his death, but he made a deep
impression. In the following decades, many chapels, and many wells, were
constructed in Mercia and named for him. (It was an old custom to dig a well
where one was needed, and to mark it with one's own name or another's, that
thirsty travellers and others might drink and remember the name with
gratitude.) [James Kiefer]