OREMUS: 30 June 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jun 29 22:42:35 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
ruler of all hearts,
you call us to obey you
and favor us with true freedom.
Your Son calls us to leave behind all that hinders us,
that we may fix our eyes on him
and steadfastly follow in the paths of your kingdom.

Psalm 89, Part I
Your love, O Lord, for ever will I sing;*
 from age to age my mouth will proclaim your faithfulness.
For I am persuaded that your love is established for ever;*
 you have set your faithfulness firmly in the heavens.
'I have made a covenant with my chosen one;*
 I have sworn an oath to David my servant:
'"I will establish your line for ever,*
 and preserve your throne for all generations."'
The heavens bear witness to your wonders, O Lord,*
 and to your faithfulness in the assembly of the holy ones;
For who in the skies can be compared to the Lord?*
 who is like the Lord among the gods?
God is much to be feared in the council of the holy ones,*
 great and terrible to all those round about him.
Who is like you, Lord God of hosts?*

 O mighty Lord, your faithfulness is all around you.
You rule the raging of the sea*
 and still the surging of its waves.
You have crushed Rahab of the deep with a deadly wound;*
 you have scattered your enemies with your mighty arm.
Yours are the heavens; the earth also is yours;*
 you laid the foundations of the world
   and all that is in it.
You have made the north and the south;*
 Tabor and Hermon rejoice in your name.
You have a mighty arm;*
 strong is your hand and high is your right hand.
Righteousness and justice
   are the foundations of your throne;*
 love and truth go before your face.
Happy are the people who know the festal shout!*
 they walk, O Lord, in the light of your presence.
They rejoice daily in your name;*
 they are jubilant in your righteousness.
For you are the glory of their strength,*
 and by your favour our might is exalted.
Truly, the Lord is our ruler;*
 the Holy One of Israel is our king.

A Song of God(s Assembled (Hebrews 12.2224a,28,29)

We have come before God(s holy mountain,
to the heavenly Jerusalem, the city of the living God.
We have come before countless angels making festival,
before the assembly of the firstborn citizens of heaven.
We have come before God, who is judge of all,
before the spirits of the just made perfect.
We have come before Jesus,
the mediator of the new covenant.
We are receiving a kingdom that cannot be shaken:
so let us give thanks and offer to God acceptable worship,
Full of reverence and awe;
for our God is a consuming fire.

FIRST READING [Judges 5:1-18]:

Then Deborah and Barak son of Abinoam sang on that day, saying:
'When locks are long in Israel,
   when the people offer themselves willingly—
   bless the Lord!

'Hear, O kings; give ear, O princes;
   to the Lord I will sing,
   I will make melody to the Lord, the God of Israel.

'Lord, when you went out from Seir,
   when you marched from the region of Edom,
the earth trembled,
   and the heavens poured,
   the clouds indeed poured water.
The mountains quaked before the Lord, the One of Sinai,
   before the Lord, the God of Israel.

'In the days of Shamgar son of Anath,
   in the days of Jael, caravans ceased
   and travellers kept to the byways.
The peasantry prospered in Israel,
   they grew fat on plunder,
because you arose, Deborah,
   arose as a mother in Israel.
When new gods were chosen,
   then war was in the gates.
Was shield or spear to be seen
   among forty thousand in Israel?
My heart goes out to the commanders of Israel
   who offered themselves willingly among the people.
   Bless the Lord.

'Tell of it, you who ride on white donkeys,
   you who sit on rich carpets,
   and you who walk by the way.
To the sound of musicians at the watering-places,
   there they repeat the triumphs of the Lord,
   the triumphs of his peasantry in Israel.

'Then down to the gates marched the people of the Lord.

'Awake, awake, Deborah!
   Awake, awake, utter a song!
Arise, Barak, lead away your captives,
   O son of Abinoam.
Then down marched the remnant of the noble;
   the people of the Lord marched down for him against the mighty.
>From Ephraim they set out into the valley,
   following you, Benjamin, with your kin;
from Machir marched down the commanders,
   and from Zebulun those who bear the marshal's staff;
the chiefs of Issachar came with Deborah,
   and Issachar faithful to Barak;
   into the valley they rushed out at his heels.
Among the clans of Reuben
   there were great searchings of heart.
Why did you tarry among the sheepfolds,
   to hear the piping for the flocks?
Among the clans of Reuben
   there were great searchings of heart.
Gilead stayed beyond the Jordan;
   and Dan, why did he abide with the ships?
Asher sat still at the coast of the sea,
   settling down by his landings.
Zebulun is a people that scorned death;
   Naphtali too, on the heights of the field. '

HYMN
Words: Amos Cresswell (born 1926) based on Wer nur den lieben Gott lässt walten by Georg Neumark (1621-1681)
Tune: Neumark

Put all your faith in God's great goodness
and hope in him for every day;
through all your anguish, pain and sadness
his shadow guards along life's way:
and if he leads you by the hand
you never build on shifting sand.

When we are lonely and despairing,
when visions fade and hopes are dim,
he comes, our depths of sorrow sharing,
invites our faith to turn to him;
he never will forsake his child;
his hold is form though storms are wild.

Our Lord is present in our weakness,
for this he left his heavenly throne.
His power and strength lie in his meekness,
'You will not agonise alone;
I drank the bitter cup for you;
my crucifixion proves this true.'

Sing, pray and tell the mighty story;
God comes to us in vibrant Word.
The wonder of the heavenly glory
is seen by us in Christ, our Lord.
Our God has never left in need
a soul who trusted him indeed.

SECOND READING [Luke 6:39-end]:

Jesus also told them a parable: 'Can a blind person guide a blind person? Will not both fall into a pit? A disciple is not above the teacher, but everyone who is fully qualified will be like the teacher. Why do you see the speck in your neighbour's eye, but do not notice the log in your own eye? Or how can you say to your neighbour, “Friend, let me take out the speck in your eye”, when you yourself do not see the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your neighbour's eye.

'No good tree bears bad fruit, nor again does a bad tree bear good fruit; for each tree is known by its own fruit. Figs are not gathered from thorns, nor are grapes picked from a bramble bush. The good person out of the good treasure of the heart produces good, and the evil person out of evil treasure produces evil; for it is out of the abundance of the heart that the mouth speaks.

'Why do you call me “Lord, Lord”, and do not do what I tell you? I will show you what someone is like who comes to me, hears my words, and acts on them. That one is like a man building a house, who dug deeply and laid the foundation on rock; when a flood arose, the river burst against that house but could not shake it, because it had been well built. But the one who hears and does not act is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. When the river burst against it, immediately it fell, and great was the ruin of that house.'

We rejoice in your generous goodness, O God, and
celebrate your lavish gifts to us this day, for you have
shown your love in giving Jesus Christ for the salvation
of the world. Especially we give thanks for

     the labors of those who have served us today...
                             (We thank you, Lord)
     friends with whom we have shared...
     those whom we love and have loved us...
     opportunities for our work to help others...
     all beauty that delights us...

Gracious God, we know you are close to all in need, and
by our prayers for others we come closer to you. We are
bold to claim for others your promises of new life in
Jesus Christ, as we claim them for ourselves. Especially
we pray for
     those in dangerous occupations...
                              (Lord, hear our prayer.)
     physicians and nurses...
     those who are ill or confined to nursing homes...
     for those whom we love and for those who love us...
     those who mourn...
     the Roman Catholic Church...

God of grace and glory,
give us that union with you
which moves beyond a nice feeling
to being transfigured in Christ,
woven up into his creative life and activity,
and absorbed into his redeeming purpose,
heart, soul, mind and strength.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer, intercession and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.