OREMUS: 28 June 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 27 22:59:20 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, June 28, 2009
The Fourth Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, Sovereign God,
ruler of all hearts,
you call us to obey you
and favor us with true freedom.
Your Son calls us to leave behind all that hinders us,
that we may fix our eyes on him
and steadfastly follow in the paths of your kingdom.

I will exalt you, O God my King,*
 and bless your name for ever and ever.
Every day will I bless you*
 and praise your name for ever and ever.
Great is the Lord and greatly to be praised;*
 there is no end to his greatness.
One generation shall praise your works to another*
 and shall declare your power.
I will ponder the glorious splendour of your majesty*
 and all your marvellous works.
They shall speak of the might of your wondrous acts,*
 and I will tell of your greatness.
They shall publish the remembrance
   of your great goodness;*
 they shall sing of your righteous deeds.
The Lord is gracious and full of compassion,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
The Lord is loving to everyone*
 and his compassion is over all his works.
All your works praise you, O Lord,*
 and your faithful servants bless you.
They make known the glory of your kingdom*
 and speak of your power;
That the peoples may know of your power*
 and the glorious splendour of your kingdom.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom;*
 your dominion endures throughout all ages.
The Lord is faithful in all his words*
 and merciful in all his deeds.
The Lord upholds all those who fall;*
 he lifts up those who are bowed down.
The eyes of all wait upon you, O Lord,*
 and you give them their food in due season.
You open wide your hand*
 and satisfy the needs of every living creature.
The Lord is righteous in all his ways*
 and loving in all his works.
The Lord is near to those who call upon him,*
 to all who call upon him faithfully.
He fulfils the desire of those who fear him,*
 he hears their cry and helps them.
The Lord preserves all those who love him,*

 but he destroys all the wicked.
My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord;*
 let all flesh bless his holy name for ever and ever.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13.413)

Love is patient and kind,
love is not jealous or boastful,
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way,
it is not angry or resentful.
It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things and believes all things;
love hopes all things and endures all things.
Love will never come to an end,
but prophecy will vanish,
tongues cease and knowledge pass away.
Now we know only in part
and we prophesy only in part,
But when the perfect comes,
the partial shall pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
But when I became mature,
I put an end to childish ways.
For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see face to face.
Now I know only in part;
then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known.
There are three things that last for ever,
faith, hope and love,
but the greatest of these is love.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 31:1-14]:

At that time, says the Lord, I will be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people.
Thus says the Lord:
The people who survived the sword
   found grace in the wilderness;
when Israel sought for rest,
   the Lord appeared to him from far away.
I have loved you with an everlasting love;
   therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you.
Again I will build you, and you shall be built,
   O virgin Israel!
Again you shall take your tambourines,
   and go forth in the dance of the merrymakers.
Again you shall plant vineyards
   on the mountains of Samaria;
the planters shall plant,
   and shall enjoy the fruit.
For there shall be a day when sentinels will call
   in the hill country of Ephraim:
'Come, let us go up to Zion,
   to the Lord our God.'

For thus says the Lord:
Sing aloud with gladness for Jacob,
   and raise shouts for the chief of the nations;
proclaim, give praise, and say,
   ‘Save, O Lord, your people,
   the remnant of Israel.’
See, I am going to bring them from the land of the north,
   and gather them from the farthest parts of the earth,
among them the blind and the lame,
   those with child and those in labour, together;
   a great company, they shall return here.
With weeping they shall come,
   and with consolations I will lead them back,
I will let them walk by brooks of water,
   in a straight path in which they shall not stumble;
for I have become a father to Israel,
   and Ephraim is my firstborn.

Hear the word of the Lord, O nations,
   and declare it in the coastlands far away;
say, ‘He who scattered Israel will gather him,
   and will keep him as a shepherd a flock.’
For the Lord has ransomed Jacob,
   and has redeemed him from hands too strong for him.
They shall come and sing aloud on the height of Zion,
   and they shall be radiant over the goodness of the Lord,
over the grain, the wine, and the oil,
   and over the young of the flock and the herd;
their life shall become like a watered garden,
   and they shall never languish again.
Then shall the young women rejoice in the dance,
   and the young men and the old shall be merry.
I will turn their mourning into joy,
   I will comfort them, and give them gladness for sorrow.
I will give the priests their fill of fatness,
   and my people shall be satisfied with my bounty,
says the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Sacred Songs and Solos

O Christ, in Thee my soul hath found,
And found in Thee alone,
The peace, the joy I sought so long,
The bliss till now unknown.
Now none but Christ can satisfy,
None other's love for me:
There's love and life and lasting joy,
Lord Jesus, found in Thee!

I sighed for rest and happiness,
I yearned for them, not Thee;
But while I passed my Saviour by,
His love laid hold on me.
Chorus

I tried the broken cisterns, Lord,
But ah! the waters failed!
Even as I stooped to drink they fled
And mocked me as I wailed.
Chorus

The pleasures lost I sadly mourned,
But never wept for Thee,
Till grace the sightless eyes received
Thy loveliness to see.
Chorus

SECOND READING [Matthew 9:9-13]:

As Jesus was walking along, Jesus saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth; and he said to him, 'Follow me.' And he got up and followed him.

And as he sat at dinner in the house, many tax-collectors and sinners came and were sitting with him and his disciples. When the Pharisees saw this, they said to his disciples, 'Why does your teacher eat with tax-collectors and sinners?' But when he heard this, he said, 'Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. Go and learn what this means, “I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” For I have come to call not the righteous but sinners.'

Let us bring our prayers to the Lord whose love endures for ever.

At the start of the Year for Priests we pray for priests across the world: that they would convey the love for God to all people.

We pray for the people of Iran, in the wake of the election in their country: that there may be a just and peaceful resolution to the situation.

We pray for all those affected by the flooding in Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic: that the waters would recede and that aid would quickly reach those in need.

We pray for the people of Southern Asia forced from their homes by conflict and natural disaster: that there may be peace and rebuilding in their lands and that they may be able to return home.

We remember Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett, who have died in the past days. Let us give thanks for their gifts and pray that any hurt in their lives may be healed so that they may enjoy the peace of the kingdom.

Heavenly Father, we ask you to hear our prayers, which we offer through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God, you have taught us through your Son that love fulfills the law: May we love you with all our heart, all our soul, all our mind, and all our strength, and may we love our neighbors as ourselves; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever. Amen.

Help us so to know you that we may truly love you,
so to love you that we may fully serve you,
whose service is perfect freedom in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

The opening prayer, intercession and closing sentence are adapted from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.