OREMUS: 15 June 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jun 14 20:09:34 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, June 15, 2009
Evelyn Underhill, Spiritual Writer, 1941

Blessed are you, Holy One, Seed Planter:
you place faith deep within us,
so we can bear witness
to your just and loving kingdom.
Your love regulates our hearts,
so we can welcome all in your name.
You fill us with hope,
so we can sing God's joy all of our days.
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

http://www.oremus.org/ eastocan.html

Psalm 28

O Lord, I call to you;
   my rock, do not be deaf to my cry;*
 lest, if you do not hear me,
   I become like those who go down to the Pit.
Hear the voice of my prayer when I cry out to you,*
 when I lift up my hands to your holy of holies.
Do not snatch me away with the wicked
   or with the evildoers,*
 who speak peaceably with their neighbours,
   while strife is in their hearts.
Repay them according to their deeds,*
 and according to the wickedness of their actions.
According to the work of their hands repay them,*
 and give them their just deserts.
They have no understanding of the Lord's doings,
   nor of the works of his hands;*
 therefore he will break them down
   and not build them up.
Blessed is the Lord!*
 for he has heard the voice of my prayer.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;*
 my heart trusts in him and I have been helped;
Therefore my heart dances for joy,*
 and in my song will I praise him.
The Lord is the strength of his people,*
 a safe refuge for his anointed.
Save your people and bless your inheritance;*
 shepherd them and carry them for ever.

A Song of Jerusalem our Mother (Isaiah 66.10,11a,12a,12c,13a,14a,b)

'Rejoice with Jerusalem and be glad for her,
all you who love her,' says the Lord.
'Rejoice with her in joy,
all you who mourn over her,
'That you may drink deeply with delight
from her consoling breast.'
For thus says our God,
'You shall be nursed and carried on her arm.
'As a mother comforts her children,
so I will comfort you;
'You shall see and your heart shall rejoice;
you shall flourish like the grass of the fields.'

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Numbers 22:2-14]:

Now Balak son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites. Moab was in great dread of the people, because they were so numerous; Moab was overcome with fear of the people of Israel. And Moab said to the elders of Midian, 'This horde will now lick up all that is around us, as an ox licks up the grass of the field.' Now Balak son of Zippor was king of Moab at that time. He sent messengers to Balaam son of Beor at Pethor, which is on the Euphrates, in the land of Amaw, to summon him, saying, 'A people has come out of Egypt; they have spread over the face of the earth, and they have settled next to me. Come now, curse this people for me, since they are stronger than I; perhaps I shall be able to defeat them and drive them from the land; for I know that whomsoever you bless is blessed, and whomsoever you curse is cursed.'

So the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed with the fees for divination in their hand; and they came to Balaam, and gave him Balak's message. He said to them, 'Stay here tonight, and I will bring back word to you, just as the Lord speaks to me'; so the officials of Moab stayed with Balaam. God came to Balaam and said, 'Who are these men with you?' Balaam said to God, 'King Balak son of Zippor of Moab has sent me this message: “A people has come out of Egypt and has spread over the face of the earth; now come, curse them for me; perhaps I shall be able to fight against them and drive them out.” ' God said to Balaam, 'You shall not go with them; you shall not curse the people, for they are blessed.' So Balaam rose in the morning, and said to the officials of Balak, 'Go to your own land, for the Lord has refused to let me go with you.' So the officials of Moab rose and went to Balak, and said, 'Balaam refuses to come with us.'

HYMN
Words: Frances Ridley Havergal (1836-1879)
Tune: Deus tuorum militum, Eisenach, Warrington, Melcombe, Fulda

Lord, speak to me, that I may speak
In living echoes of thy tone;
As you have sought, so let me seek
Thy erring children lost and lone.

O lead me, Lord, that I may lead
The wandering and the wavering feet;
O feed me, Lord, that I may feed
Thy hungering ones with manna sweet.

O strengthen me, that, while I stand
Firm on the rock, and strong in thee,
I may stretch out a loving hand
To wrestlers with the troubled sea.

O teach me, Lord, that I may teach
The precious things thou dost impart;
And wing my words, that they may reach
The hidden depths of many a heart.

O give thine own sweet rest to me,
That I may speak with soothing power
A word in season, as from thee,
To weary ones in needful hour.

O fill me with thy fullness, Lord,
Until my very heart o'erflow
In kindling thought and glowing word,
Thy love to tell, thy praise to show.

O use me, Lord, use even me,
Just as thou wilt, and when, and where,
Until thy blessèd face I see,
Thy rest, thy joy, thy glory share.

SECOND READING [Luke 2:21-40]:

After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

When the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord, 'Every firstborn male shall be designated as holy to the Lord'), and they offered a sacrifice according to what is stated in the law of the Lord, 'a pair of turtle-doves or two young pigeons.'

Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; this man was righteous and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit rested on him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before he had seen the Lord's Messiah. Guided by the Spirit, Simeon came into the temple; and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was customary under the law, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying,
'Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace,
   according to your word;
for my eyes have seen your salvation,
   which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
a light for revelation to the Gentiles
   and for glory to your people Israel.'

And the child's father and mother were amazed at what was being said about him. Then Simeon blessed them and said to his mother Mary, 'This child is destined for the falling and the rising of many in Israel, and to be a sign that will be opposed so that the inner thoughts of many will be revealed—and a sword will pierce your own soul too.'

There was also a prophet, Anna the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was of a great age, having lived with her husband for seven years after her marriage, then as a widow to the age of eighty-four. She never left the temple but worshipped there with fasting and prayer night and day. At that moment she came, and began to praise God and to speak about the child to all who were looking for the redemption of Jerusalem.

When they had finished everything required by the law of the Lord, they returned to Galilee, to their own town of Nazareth. The child grew and became strong, filled with wisdom; and the favour of God was upon him.

Holy God,
we rejoice in the martyrs and prophets, teachers and leaders,
and all the ordinary and extraordinary believers
who have lived and loved the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Recalling their stories and deeds,
we dare to take up our crosses.
For their witness and encouragement,
We thank you, Lord.

Surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses,
we plead for the human family and all creation:

For those addicted or tormented:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the victims of terrorism and disaster:
We pray to you, Lord.

For those who despair of life(s goodness:
We pray to you, Lord.

For the Church, especially ecumenical councils and church agencies:
We pray to you, Lord.

For a resolution to unresolved matters of this day:
We pray to you, Lord.

Hear us, Shepherd of your people,
you who commanded us to love our neighbours
with our whole hearts:
forgive us our sins
and make us whole in body and soul;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

disclose all of its hidden richness
and make its beauty more accessible to us. Amen.

O God,
the windows of Christ's Mysteries
split the Light up into Many-coloured loveliness:
Disclose all of your hidden richness to the Church,
that like your servant Evelyn Underhill,
we may make your beauty more accessible to all;
through Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord,
who with you and the Holy Spirit lives and reigns,

May we live as new creations in Jesus
who was raised to life for us
and who makes all things new.Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Thom Shuman and the closing prayer is adapted from a prayer by Nathan Nettleton.

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2009, and quotes a sentence from Evelyn Underhill.

Evelyn Underhill was born in 1850 and grew up in London. Her friends
included Laurence Housman (poet and brother of the poet A E Housman) and
Sarah Bernhardt (actress), and Baron Friedrich von Huegel, a writer on
theology and mysticism. Largely under his guidance, she embarked on a life of
reading, writing, meditation, and prayer. From her studies and experience she
produced a series of books on contemplative prayer. The list includes the
following:
1902 The Bar-lamb's Ballad (poetry)
1911 Mysticism
1913 The Mystic Way
1913 Immanence (poetry)
1927 Man and the Supernatural
1936 Worship
1938 The Mystery of Sacrifice
Miss Underhill (Mrs. Hubert Stuart Moore) taught that the life of
contemplative prayer is not just for monks and nuns, but can be the life of any
Christian who is willing to undertake it. She also taught that modern
psychological theory, far from being a threat to contemplation, can fruitfully be
used to enhance it. In her later years, she spent a great deal of time as a
lecturer and retreat director. She died on June 15, 1941. [James Kiefer]