OREMUS: 7 June 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jun 6 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, June 7, 2009
Trinity Sunday

Blessed are you, eternal and triune God,
whom we worship as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
In Jesus Christ you spoke the word
that brought the world into being.
By the Holy Spirit,
you brought order out of chaos
and breathed life into your creatures.
In parental love,
you stood by us in spite of our disobedience,
correcting us with gracious reproof,
and welcoming us again into your loving embrace.

http://www.oremus.org/ eastocan.html

Psalm 98

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

Psalm 100

Be joyful in the Lord, all you lands;*
 serve the Lord with gladness
   and come before his presence with a song.
Know this: The Lord himself is God;*
 he himself has made us and we are his;
   we are his people and the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving;
   go into his courts with praise;*
 give thanks to him and call upon his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting;*
 and his faithfulness endures from age to age.

Te Deum

We praise you, O God,
we acclaim you as the Lord;
all creation worships you,
the Father everlasting.
To you all angels, all the powers of heaven,
the cherubim and seraphim, sing in endless praise:
Holy, holy, holy Lord, God of power and might,
heaven and earth are full of your glory.
The glorious company of apostles praise you.
The noble fellowship of prophets praise you.
The white-robed army of martyrs praise you.
Throughout the world the holy Church acclaims you:
Father, of majesty unbounded,
your true and only Son, worthy of all praise,
the Holy Spirit, advocate and guide.
You, Christ, are the King of glory,
the eternal Son of the Father.
When you took our flesh to set us free
you humbly chose the Virgin's womb.
You overcame the sting of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven to all believers.
You are seated at God's right hand in glory.
We believe that you will come and be our judge.
Come then, Lord, and help your people,
bought with the price of your own blood,
and bring us with your saints
to glory everlasting.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 6:1-8]:

In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord sitting on a throne, high and lofty; and the hem of his robe filled the temple. Seraphs were in attendance above him; each had six wings: with two they covered their faces, and with two they covered their feet, and with two they flew. And one called to another and said:
‘Holy, holy, holy is the Lord of hosts;
the whole earth is full of his glory.’

The pivots on the thresholds shook at the voices of those who called, and the house filled with smoke. And I said: ‘Woe is me! I am lost, for I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; yet my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts!’

Then one of the seraphs flew to me, holding a live coal that had been taken from the altar with a pair of tongs. The seraph touched my mouth with it and said: ‘Now that this has touched your lips, your guilt has departed and your sin is blotted out.’ Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I; send me!’

HYMN
Words: Ave colenda Trinitas tr John D Chambers (1805-1893)
Tune: Festus, O lux beata Trinitas, Sharon

All hail, adored Trinity!
All hail, eternal Unity!
O God the Father, God the Son,
And God the Spirit, ever One.

To thee upon this festal day
We offer here our thankful lay:
O let our work accepted be,
That blessèd work of praising thee.

Three Persons praise we evermore,
One only God our hearts adore:
In thy sure mercy ever kind
May we our strong protection find.

O Trinity! O Unity!
Be present as we worship thee;
And with the songs that angels sing
Unite the hymns of praise we bring.

SECOND READING [1 Peter 1:1-12]:

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To the exiles of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who have been chosen and destined by God the Father and sanctified by the Spirit to be obedient to Jesus Christ and to be sprinkled with his blood:

May grace and peace be yours in abundance.

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By his great mercy he has given us a new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who are being protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, even if now for a little while you have had to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith—being more precious than gold that, though perishable, is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honour when Jesus Christ is revealed. Although you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and rejoice with an indescribable and glorious joy, for you are receiving the outcome of your faith, the salvation of your souls.

Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that was to be yours made careful search and inquiry, inquiring about the person or time that the Spirit of Christ within them indicated, when it testified in advance to the sufferings destined for Christ and the subsequent glory. It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in regard to the things that have now been announced to you through those who brought you good news by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things into which angels long to look!

Let us bring our prayers to our God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

We pray for our government at this time: that they would have wisdom and be able to govern effectively.

We pray for the families of the passengers and crew of the Air France plane lost over the Atlantic: that they may be comforted; and that investigators would be able to establish what happened to the aircraft.

We pray for the country of Pakistan in the wake of yet another terrorist attack: that there might be an end to the violence in that area.

We pray for the victims of the landslide in the Chongqing area of China: that rescuers would find those buried by rubble and that power and communication would be restored.

We pray for President Barack Obama as he works for peace in the Middle East: that his efforts might bear fruit and that there might be increased dialogue and improved relations between the parties.

Heavenly Father, we ask you to hear the prayers that we offer through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty and everlasting God,
you have given to us your servants grace,
by the confession of a true faith,
to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity,
and in the power of your divine Majesty to worship the Unity:
Keep us steadfast in this faith and worship,
and bring us at last to see you in your one and eternal glory,
O Father; who with the Son and the Holy Spirit
live and reign, one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

O God in Three Persons,
you bring to life,
call us to freedom,
and move between us in love.
May we so participate
in your dance of trinity
that our lives may resonate with you,
now and for ever. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is based on a eucharistic prayer in
_Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John
Knox Press.

The closing sentence is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright (c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.