OREMUS: 6 June 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jun 5 20:13:24 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Saturday, June 6, 2009

Blessed are you, O Lord,
your love reaches to the heavens,
and your faithfulness to the clouds.
Your righteousness is like teh strong mountains,
your justice like the great deep;
you save your entire creation, O Lord,
in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/ eastocan.html

Psalm 19

The heavens declare the glory of God,*
 and the firmament shows his handiwork.
One day tells its tale to another,*
 and one night imparts knowledge to another.
Although they have no words or language,*
 and their voices are not heard,
Their sound has gone out into all lands,*
 and their message to the ends of the world.
In the deep has he set a pavilion for the sun;*
 it comes forth like a bridegroom out of his chamber;
   it rejoices like a champion to run its course.
It goes forth from the uttermost edge of the heavens
   and runs about to the end of it again;*
 nothing is hidden from its burning heat.
The law of the Lord is perfect
   and revives the soul;*
 the testimony of the Lord is sure
   and gives wisdom to the innocent.
The statutes of the Lord are just
   and rejoice the heart;*
 the commandment of the Lord is clear
   and gives light to the eyes.
The fear of the Lord is clean
   and endures for ever;*
 the judgements of the Lord are true
   and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold,
   more than much fine gold,*
 sweeter far than honey,
   than honey in the comb.
By them also is your servant enlightened,*
 and in keeping them there is great reward.
Who can tell how often he offends?*
 Cleanse me from my secret faults.
Above all, keep your servant from presumptuous sins;
   let them not get dominion over me;*
 then shall I be whole and sound,
   and innocent of a great offence.
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
   be acceptable in your sight,*
 O Lord, my strength and my redeemer.

The Prayer of Habakkuk (Habakkuk 3.2-4,13a,15-19)

O Lord, I have heard of your renown,
and I stand in awe, O Lord, of your work.
In the midst of the years renew it;
in the midst of the years make it known;
in wrath remember mercy.
God came from Teman, and the Holy One from Mount Paran.
His glory covered the heavens, and the earth was full of his praise.
His brightness was like the sun,
rays flashed from his hand; there he veiled his power.
You came forth to save your people,
to save your anointed.
You trampled the sea with your horses,
churning the mighty waters.
I hear, and my belly trembles,
my lips quiver at the sound;
Rottenness enters into my bones,
and my steps totter beneath me.
I will quietly wait for the day of trouble
to come upon the people that invade us.
Though the fig tree does not blossom,
nor fruit appear on the vines,
the produce of the olive fail, and the fields yield no food,
Though the flock be cut off from the fold
and there be no herd in the stalls,
Yet will I rejoice in the Lord,
I will exult in the God of my salvation.
God, the Lord, is my strength;
he makes my feet like hinds' feet,
and makes me tread upon the high places.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Micah 3:5-8]:

Thus says the Lord concerning the prophets
   who lead my people astray,
who cry ‘Peace’
   when they have something to eat,
but declare war against those
   who put nothing into their mouths.
Therefore it shall be night to you, without vision,
   and darkness to you, without revelation.
The sun shall go down upon the prophets,
   and the day shall be black over them;
the seers shall be disgraced,
   and the diviners put to shame;
they shall all cover their lips,
   for there is no answer from God.
But as for me, I am filled with power,
   with the spirit of the Lord,
   and with justice and might,
to declare to Jacob his transgression
   and to Israel his sin.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: Dominica

Riches unsearchable
In Jesu's love we know;
And pleasures, springing from the well
Of life, our souls o'erflow.

The spirit we receive
Of wisdom, grace, and power;
And always sorrowful we live,
Rejoicing evermore.

Angels our servants are,
And keep in all our ways,
And in their watchful hands they bear
The sacred sons of grace:

Unto that heavenly bliss
They all our steps attend;
And God Himself our Father is,
And Jesus is our Friend.

SECOND READING [2 Timothy 1:1-14]:

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, for the sake of the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus,

To Timothy, my beloved child:

Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.

I am grateful to God—whom I worship with a clear conscience, as my ancestors did—when I remember you constantly in my prayers night and day. Recalling your tears, I long to see you so that I may be filled with joy. I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that lived first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, lives in you. For this reason I remind you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.

Do not be ashamed, then, of the testimony about our Lord or of me his prisoner, but join with me in suffering for the gospel, relying on the power of God, who saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works but according to his own purpose and grace. This grace was given to us in Christ Jesus before the ages began, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. For this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher, and for this reason I suffer as I do. But I am not ashamed, for I know the one in whom I have put my trust, and I am sure that he is able to guard until that day what I have entrusted to him. Hold to the standard of sound teaching that you have heard from me, in the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus. Guard the good treasure entrusted to you, with the help of the Holy Spirit living in us.

God of all time,
we bless you for the gift of this day
and for our hope in Christ Jesus.
In the midst of all that demands our attention,
free us to love you with all our hearts
and to love the world with your mercy and justice.

Let our love be genuine:
Kyrie eleison

Let our affections be tempered with holiness:
Kyrie eleison

Let our desires be shaped by the vision
of a new heaven and a new earth:
Kyrie eleison

Let our actions reflect the balance of love
for your reign in all things:
Kyrie eleison

Let our perceptions and feelings be ordered
by the hope we have in Christ:
Kyrie eleison

Let the Sun of Righteousness arise, O God,
with healing in his wings;
may he come forth as the bridegroom to rejoice with the bride
and make your people acceptable in his sight;

May we feast at your abundant table, O Lord,
and drink from the river of your delights. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving and the closing sentence are adapted from Psalm 36.