OREMUS: 31 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 30 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Saturday, January 31, 2009

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

Hear my prayer, O God;*
 do not hide yourself from my petition.
Listen to me and answer me;*
 I have no peace, because of my cares.
I am shaken by the noise of the enemy*
 and by the pressure of the wicked;
For they have cast an evil spell upon me*
 and are set against me in fury.
My heart quakes within me,*
 and the terrors of death have fallen upon me.
Fear and trembling have come over me,*
 and horror overwhelms me.
And I said, 'O that I had wings like a dove!*
 I would fly away and be at rest.
'I would flee to a faroff place*
 and make my lodging in the wilderness.
'I would hasten to escape*
 from the stormy wind and tempest.&#156;
Swallow them up, O Lord; confound their speech;*
 for I have seen violence and strife in the city.
Day and night the watch make their rounds upon her walls,*
 but trouble and misery are in the midst of her.
There is corruption at her heart;*
 her streets are never free of oppression and deceit.
For had it been an adversary who taunted me,
   then I could have borne it;*
 or had it been an enemy who vaunted himself against me,
   then I could have hidden from him.
But it was you, one after my own heart,*
 my companion, my own familiar friend.
We took sweet counsel together,*
 and walked with the throng in the house of God.
But I will call upon God,*
 and the Lord will deliver me.
In the evening, in the morning and at noonday
   I will complain and lament,*
 and he will hear my voice.
He will bring me safely back from the battle
   waged against me;*
 for there are many who fight me.
God, who is enthroned of old,
   will hear me and bring them down;*

 they never change; they do not fear God.
My companion stretched forth his hand against his comrade;*
 he has broken his covenant.
His speech is softer than butter,*
 but war is in his heart.
His words are smoother than oil,*
 but they are drawn swords.
Cast your burden upon the Lord and he will sustain you;*
 he will never let the righteous stumble.
For you will bring the bloodthirsty and deceitful*
 down to the pit of destruction, O God.
They shall not live out half their days,*
 but I will put my trust in you.

A Song of Pilgrimage (Ecclesiasticus 51.13a,13c17,20,21a,22b)

While I was still young,
I sought Wisdom openly in my prayer.
Before the temple I asked for her,
and I will search for her until the end.
>From the first blossom to the ripening grape,
my heart delighted in her.
My foot walked on the straight path,
from my youth I followed her steps.
I inclined my ear a little and received her,
I found for myself much instruction.
I made progress in Wisdom;
to the One who sent her, I will give glory.
I directed my soul to Wisdom,
and in purity have I found her.
With her, I gained understanding from the first,
therefore will I never be forsaken.
My heart was stirred to seek her,
with my tongue will I sing God(s praise.

Praise him with the blast of the ram'shorn;*
 praise him with loudclanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 16:25-end]:

Sometimes there is a way that seems to be right,
   but in the end it is the way to death.
The appetite of workers works for them;
   their hunger urges them on.
Scoundrels concoct evil,
   and their speech is like a scorching fire.
A perverse person spreads strife,
   and a whisperer separates close friends.
The violent entice their neighbours,
   and lead them in a way that is not good.
One who winks the eyes plans perverse things;
   one who compresses the lips brings evil to pass.
Grey hair is a crown of glory;
   it is gained in a righteous life.
One who is slow to anger is better than the mighty,
   and one whose temper is controlled than one who captures a city.
The lot is cast into the lap,
   but the decision is the Lord’s alone.

HYMN
Words: June Boyce-Tillman (born 1943) © Stainer & Bell Ltd Used with permission.
Meter: 88 88 Refrain

Within our hearts may truth arise
As moonlight gentle in the night,
As meteors and shooting stars,
To challenge wrong and nurture right.

Within our hearts may wisdom grow,
Like rhizomes spreading in the earth,
Conjoining different faith insights
To bring new paradigms to birth.

Within our hearts may peace prevail,
And ripple like a bubbling spring,
To bring earth's deserts into bloom,
So from the margins joy can ring.

Within our hearts may justice reign
And burn with fiery Spirit-flames,
Creating systems that in strength
Embody Christ's outrageous claims.

Christ within us, Christ around us,
Christ uniting, Christ dividing,
Christ alone and Christ in gathering,
Christ in public, Christ in hiding,
Christ in body and in spirit,
Christ in freeing, Christ in holding,
Christ relaxing, Christ exciting,
Christ in challenge, Christ enfolding.

And so the God of joy and hope,
Can be revealed in humankind,
Where politics reflect shared wealth
And nature's growth as intertwined.

SECOND READING [Philippians 4:4-end]:

 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your gentleness be known to everyone. The Lord is near. Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, beloved, whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is pleasing, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence and if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Keep on doing the things that you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, and the God of peace will be with you.

I rejoice in the Lord greatly that now at last you have revived your concern for me; indeed, you were concerned for me, but had no opportunity to show it. Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well-fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me. In any case, it was kind of you to share my distress.

You Philippians indeed know that in the early days of the gospel, when I left Macedonia, no church shared with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except you alone. For even when I was in Thessalonica, you sent me help for my needs more than once. Not that I seek the gift, but I seek the profit that accumulates to your account. I have been paid in full and have more than enough; I am fully satisfied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent, a fragrant offering, a sacrifice acceptable and pleasing to God. And my God will fully satisfy every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The friends who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, especially those of the emperor’s household.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

In your glory, Lord, protect us by the power of your name:
that we may be one as you are one.

We are in the world but not of it:
protect us from the evil one.

Give us your word and the full measure of your joy:
sanctify us by your truth.

May your Spirit unite us in the love and glory of Father and Son;
may we be one that the world may believe.

As you sent your Son into the world:
so send us, to make your glory known.

Almighty God our heavenly Father,
whose grace here on earth
brings us the gifts of heaven:
Guide us in this present life,
and so lead us now,
that we might dwell in the light of your eternal love.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ your Son,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is from _Patterns for Worship_, material from which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops( Council, 1995. The collect is by the Community of Jesus.