OREMUS: 27 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 26 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 27, 2009
John Chrysostom, Bishop of Constantinople, Teacher of the Faith, 407

Blessed are you, God,
for the radiance of your Christ,
a light which has dawned for those
who walked in the shadow of death.
We sing the wonders of your saving power
and for the many gifts you bestow on us.

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

A Song of the Holy City (Revelation 21.15a)

I saw a new heaven and a new earth,
for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away
and the sea was no more.
And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem,
coming down out of heaven from God,
prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.
And I heard a great voice from the throne saying,
Behold, the dwelling of God is among mortals.
He will dwell with them and they shall be his peoples,
and God himself will be with them.
He will wipe every tear from their eyes,
and death shall be no more.
Neither shall there be mourning,
nor crying, nor pain any more,
for the former things have passed away.(
And the One who sat upon the throne said,
Behold, I make all things new.(

FIRST READING [Proverbs 10:22-29]:

The blessing of the Lord makes rich,
   and he adds no sorrow with it.
Doing wrong is like sport to a fool,
   but wise conduct is pleasure to a person of understanding.
What the wicked dread will come upon them,
   but the desire of the righteous will be granted.
When the tempest passes, the wicked are no more,
   but the righteous are established for ever.
Like vinegar to the teeth, and smoke to the eyes,
   so are the lazy to their employers.
The fear of the Lord prolongs life,
   but the years of the wicked will be short.
The hope of the righteous ends in gladness,
   but the expectation of the wicked comes to nothing.
The way of the Lord is a stronghold for the upright,
   but destruction for evildoers.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Meter: 88 88 88

Master, I own Thy lawful claim,
Thine, wholly Thine, I long to be;
Thou seest, at last, I willing am
Where'er Thou goest to follow Thee;
Myself in all things to deny,
Thine, wholly Thine, to live and die.

Pleasure and wealth and praise no more
Shall lead my captive soul astray;
These fond pursuits I all give o'er,
Thee, only Thee, resolved to obey;
My will in all things to resign,
And know no other will but Thine.

Wherefore to Thee I all resign,
Being Thou art of love and power;
Thy only will be done, not mine;
Thee, Lord, let heaven and earth adore;
Flow back the rivers to the sea,
And let my all be lost in Thee.

SECOND READING [Philippians 2:12-18]:

Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Do all things without murmuring and arguing, so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world. It is by your holding fast to the word of life that I can boast on the day of Christ that I did not run in vain or labour in vain. But even if I am being poured out as a libation over the sacrifice and the offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you— and in the same way you also must be glad and rejoice with me.

We pray to God our Father, saying:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For all Christian people, knit together by your word of life;
and for all who teach and guard the faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who study and translate the Scriptures:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who are mocked and persecuted for their faith:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those who long to know you, and your living Word:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those tempted to forsake your way;
for those whose hearts are hardened and unfeeling,
and for those who threaten war:
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

For those bowed down with grief, fear or sickness, (especially. . .)
Lord, may your word dwell richly in their hearts.

Giving thanks for those who have died in the faith of Christ,
we rejoice with the ever-blessed Virgin Mary and all your saints,
trusting in the promise of your word fulfilled.
Lord of the Church:
hear our prayer,
and make us one in heart and mind
to serve you in Christ our Lord. Amen.

God our deliverer,
raise up the poor, sustain the needy,
and comfort the betrayed,

through the one who for our sakes became poor
and from whose betrayal comes our salvation,
your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
you gave a golden eloquence to your servant John
that he might declare your justice
before the face of the proud and mighty.
Grant us, after his example,
such faithfulness to your word,
that we may strengthen the hearts of the weary
and sustain those who are afflicted by wrong;

May Christ, who calls us,
make us ready witnesses to him
and multiply the number of those who acknowledge you
and celebrate your holy Name. Amen.

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General
Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

John was called "Chrysostom" ("Golden Mouth") because of his eloquence. He
was a priest of Antioch, and an outstanding preacher. (Audiences were warned
not to carry large sums of money when they went to hear him speak, since
pickpockets found it very easy to rob his hearers -- they were too intent on his
words to notice what was happening.) His sermons are mostly straightforward
expositions of Holy Scripture (he has extensive commentaries on both
Testaments, with special attention to the Epistles of Paul), and he emphasizes
the literal meaning, whereas the style popular at Alexandria tended to read
allegorical meanings into the text.
He loved the city and people of Antioch, and they loved him. However, he
became so famous that the Empress at Constantinople decided that she must
have him for her court preacher, and she had him kidnaped and brought to
Constantinople and there made bishop. This was a failure all around. His
sermons against corruption in high places earned him powerful enemies
(including the Empress), and he was sent into exile, where he died.
Along with Athanasius of Alexandria, Basil the Great, and Gregory of
Nazianzus, he is counted as one of the Four Great Eastern (or Greek) Doctors
of the Ancient Church. The Four Great Western (or Latin) Doctors are
Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, and Gregory the Great. [James Kiefer]