OREMUS: 25 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 24 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, January 25, 2009
The Conversion of Saint Paul

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for the wonders of your grace
displayed in your apostle Paul,
whom you chose to announce the good news to the gentiles.
We give you thanks for his example of his patient service,
by which he instructed us in the way of eternal life,
given to us in your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

May God be merciful to us and bless us,*
 show us the light of his countenance and come to us.
Let your ways be known upon earth,*
 your saving health among all nations.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
Let the nations be glad and sing for joy,*
 for you judge the peoples with equity
   and guide all the nations upon earth.
Let the peoples praise you, O God;*
 let all the peoples praise you.
The earth has brought forth her increase;*
 may God, our own God, give us his blessing.
May God give us his blessing,*
 and may all the ends of the earth stand in awe of him.

 before the gods I will sing your praise.
I will bow down towards your holy temple
   and praise your name,*
 because of your love and faithfulness;
For you have glorified your name*
 and your word above all things.
When I called, you answered me;*
 you increased my strength within me.
All the kings of the earth will praise you, O Lord,*
 when they have heard the words of your mouth.
They will sing of the ways of the Lord,*
 that great is the glory of the Lord.
Though the Lord be high, he cares for the lowly;*
 he perceives the haughty from afar.
Though I walk in the midst of trouble,
   you keep me safe;*
 you stretch forth your hand
   against the fury of my enemies;
   your right hand shall save me.
The Lord will make good his purpose for me;*
 O Lord, your love endures for ever;
   do not abandon the works of your hands.

A Song of Christ's Appearing (1 Timothy 3:16; 6:15-16)
Christ Jesus was revealed in the flesh
and vindicated in the spirit.

He was seen by angels
and proclaimed among the nations.

Believed in throughout the world,
he was taken up in glory.

This will be made manifest at the proper time
by the blessed and only Sovereign,

Who alone has immortality,
and dwells in unapproachable light.

To the King of kings and Lord of lords
be honour and eternal dominion. Amen.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 45:18-end]:

For thus says the Lord,
who created the heavens
ÿÿÿ(he is God!),
who formed the earth and made it
ÿÿÿ(he established it;
he did not create it a chaos,
ÿÿÿhe formed it to be inhabited!):
I am the Lord, and there is noÿother.
I did not speak in secret,
ÿÿÿin a land of darkness;
I did not say to the offspring ofÿJacob,
ÿÿÿ?Seek me in chaos.?
I the Lord speak the truth,
ÿÿÿI declare what is right.

Assemble yourselves and come together,
ÿÿÿdraw near, you survivors of the nations!
They have no knowledge?
ÿÿÿthose who carry about their wooden idols,
and keep on praying to a god
ÿÿÿthat cannot save.
Declare and present your case;
ÿÿÿlet them take counsel together!
Who told this long ago?
ÿÿÿWho declared it of old?
Was it not I, the Lord?
ÿÿÿThere is no other god besides me,
a righteous God and a Saviour;
ÿÿÿthere is no one besides me.

Turn to me and be saved,
ÿÿÿall the ends of the earth!
ÿÿÿFor I am God, and there is noÿother.
By myself I have sworn,
ÿÿÿfrom my mouth has gone forth in righteousness
ÿÿÿa word that shall not return:
?To me every knee shall bow,
ÿÿÿevery tongue shall swear.?

Only in the Lord, it shall be said ofÿme,
ÿÿÿare righteousness and strength;
all who were incensed against him
ÿÿÿshall come to him and be ashamed.
In the Lord all the offspring of Israel
ÿÿÿshall triumph and glory.

HYMN
Words: John Ellerton, 1871
Tune: King's Lynn, Munich, Ellacombe, Llangloffan, Missionary

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w145.html

We sing the glorious conquest
before Damascus' gate,
when Saul, the Church's spoiler
came breathing threats and hate.
The ravening wolf rushed forward
full early to the prey;
but lo! the Shepherd met him,
and bound him fast today.

O glory most excelling
that smote across his path!
O light that pierced and blinded
the zealot in his wrath!
O voice that spake within him
the calm, reproving word!
O love that sought and held him
the bondman of his Lord!

O Wisdom ordering all things
in order strong and sweet,
what nobler spoil was ever
cast at the Victor's feet?
What wiser master builder
e'er wrought at thine employ
than he, till now so furious
thy building to destroy?

Lord, teach thy Church the lesson,
still in her darkest hour
of weakness and of danger,
to trust thy hidden power;
thy grace by ways mysterious
the wrath of man can bind,
and in thy boldest foeman
thy chosen saint can find.

SECOND READING [2 Corinthians 12:1-9]:

It is necessary to boast; nothing is to be gained by it, but I will go on to visions and revelations of the Lord. I know a person in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven?whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows. And I know that such a person?whether in the body or out of the body I do not know; God knows? was caught up into Paradise and heard things that are not to be told, that no mortal is permitted to repeat. On behalf of such a one I will boast, but on my own behalf I will not boast, except of my weaknesses. But if I wish to boast, I will not be a fool, for I will be speaking the truth. But I refrain from it, so that no one may think better of me than what is seen in me or heard from me, even considering the exceptional character of the revelations. Therefore, to keep me from being too elated, a thorn was given to me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to torment me, to keep me from being too elated. Three times I appealed to the Lord about this, that it would leave me, but he said to me, ?My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness.? So, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me.

O God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
our only Saviour, the Prince of Peace:
give us grace to seriously to lay to heart
the great dangers we are in by our unhappy divisions.
Take away all hatred and prejudice,
and whatever else may hinder us
from godly union and concord;
that, as there is but one Body and one Spirit,
one hope of our calling,
one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
one God and Father of us all,
so we may henceforth be
all of one heart and of one soul,
united in one holy bond of peace, of faith and charity
and may with one mind and one mouth glorify you;
through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God,
by the preaching of your apostle Paul
you have caused the light of your Gospel
to shine throughout the world:
Grant, we pray, that we,
having his wonderful conversion in remembrance,
may show ourselves thankful to you
by following his holy teaching;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

God, who formed us,
continue to shape us as a vessel of the Gospel.
Christ Jesus, whom we bear,
mark our life with the good news.
The Holy Spirit, dwelling within,
fill us with the healing, liberating power of Christ.  Amen.

from _Uniting in Worship 2_, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in Australia.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from a
prayer in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian Eucharistic

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979),
Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.