OREMUS: 24 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 23 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Saturday, January 24, 2009
Francis de Sales, Bishop of Geneva, Teacher of the Faith, 1622

Blessed are you, Eternal One,
you search us and you know us.
You surround us and you stay with us.
You form us, creating us lovingly,
seeing our mould and pattern,
the path of our days,
even before others think of us.

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evilspeaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.

Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of God(s Herald (Isaiah 40:9-11)

Go up to a high mountain,
herald of good tidings to Zion;
lift up your voice with strength,
herald of good tidings to Jerusalem.

Lift up your voice, fear not;
say to the cities of Judah, 'Behold your God!'

See, the Lord God comes with might,
and his arm rules for him.

Behold, his reward is with him,
and his recompense before him.

God will feed his flock like a shepherd,
and gather the lambs in his arms;

He will carry them in his breast,
and gently lead those that are with young.

Praise him with the blast of the ram'shorn;*
 praise him with loudclanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 9:1-6, 13-18]:

Wisdom has built her house,
ÿÿÿshe has hewn her seven pillars.
She has slaughtered her animals, she has mixed her wine,
ÿÿÿshe has also set her table.
She has sent out her servant-girls, she calls
ÿÿÿfrom the highest places in theÿtown,
?You that are simple, turn in here!?
ÿÿÿTo those without sense she says,
?Come, eat of my bread
ÿÿÿand drink of the wine I have mixed.
Lay aside immaturity, and live,
ÿÿÿand walk in the way of insight.?

The foolish woman is loud;
ÿÿÿshe is ignorant and knows nothing.
She sits at the door of her house,
ÿÿÿon a seat at the high places of the town,
calling to those who pass by,
ÿÿÿwho are going straight on their way,
?You who are simple, turn in here!?
ÿÿÿAnd to those without sense she says,
?Stolen water is sweet,
ÿÿÿand bread eaten in secret is pleasant.?
But they do not know that the dead are there,
ÿÿÿthat her guests are in the depths of Sheol.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Tune: St. Petersburg, Ratisbon

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
One in three, and three in one,
As by the celestial host,
Let thy will on earth be done;
Praise by all to thee be given,
Glorious Lord of earth and heaven.

If a sinner such as I
May to thy great glory live,
All my actions sanctify,
All my words and thoughts receive;
Claim me for thy service, claim
All I have and all I am.

Take my soul and body's powers;
Take my memory, mind, and will,
All my goods, and all my hours,
All I know, and all I feel,
All I think, or speak, or do;
Take my heart, but make it new.

Now, O God, thine own I am,
Now I give thee back thine own;
Freedom, friends, and health, and fame
Consecrate to thee alone:
Thine I live, thrice happy I;
Happier still if thine I die.

Father, Son, and Holy Ghost,
One in three, and three in one,
As by the celestial host,
Let thy will on earth be done;
Praise by all to thee be given,
Glorious Lord of earth and heaven.

SECOND READING [Philippians 1:12-26]:

ÿI want you to know, beloved, that what has happened to me has actually helped to spread the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to everyone else that my imprisonment is for Christ; and most of the brothers and sisters, having been made confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, dare to speak the word with greater boldness and without fear.

Some proclaim Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from goodwill. These proclaim Christ out of love, knowing that I have been put here for the defence of the gospel; the others proclaim Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely but intending to increase my suffering in my imprisonment. What does it matter? Just this, that Christ is proclaimed in every way, whether out of false motives or true; and in that I rejoice.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will result in my deliverance. It is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be put to shame in any way, but that by my speaking with all boldness, Christ will be exalted now as always in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labour for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.

Loving God, in Jesus Christ you teach us to pray:

Guide us by your Holy Spirit
that our prayers for others may serve your will
and show your steadfast love for all.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Gracious God,
you have called together a people
to be the Church of Jesus Christ,
founded on the apostles.
May your people be one in faith and discipleship,
breaking bread together and telling good news.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

May the world come to believe that you are love,
turn to your ways and live in the light of your truth.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

You made all things and called them good.
May your planet earth be held in reverence by all people,
that its resources may be used wisely
and its fragile balance between life and death respected.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

Hear our prayers for those who rule the nations,
that they may learn wisdom and truth,
establish justice and mercy
and seek the ways of peace.
Lord, in your mercy,
hear our prayer.

O my God, I thank you and I praise
you for accomplishing your holy
and all-lovable will without any regard for mine.
With my whole heart,
in spite of my heart,
do I receive this cross I feared so much!
It is the cross of Your choice,
the cross of Your love.
I venerate it;
nor for anything in the world
would I wish that it had not come,
since You willed it.
I keep it with gratitude and with joy,
as I do everything that comes from Your hand;
and I shall strive to carry it without letting it drag,
with all the respect
and all the affection which Your works deserve. Amen.

O God, our Creator and our Goal,
who guided many in the practice of your love
by the ministry of your servant Francis de Sales,
grant us so to live by the grace of Christ
that we may serve you with our prayers,
praise you with our minds,
and show forth your love by our readiness in mercy;

God, who formed us,
continue to shape us as a vessel of the Gospel.
Christ Jesus, whom we bear,
mark our life with the good news.
The Holy Spirit, dwelling within,
fill us with the healing, liberating power of Christ.  Amen.

from _Uniting in Worship 2_, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in Australia.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer in _The Book of Common Worship. The Presbyterian Church in Canada_, 1991. Used with permission.

The first collect is by Francis de Sales and the second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

 Francis de Sales was born in the Savoy district of France in 1567 and ordained
a priest in 1593. At that time the religious and political struggles of the time
had placed under the control of Roman Catholic rulers several regions in which
the people were mostly Protestants. Francis was sent to preach in one such
region near his birthplace, attempting to persuade his hearers to become
Roman Catholics. Since he was seen to be persuasive, he was appointed in
1602 to be Roman Catholic bishop of Geneva, a Calvinist stronghold which
had been captured by the Roman Catholic Duke of Savoy. Here again, he
brought many to his way of thinking. His motto was, "He who preaches with
love, preaches effectively." His numerous controversial tracts are unfailingly
courteous to his opponents. Many Christians who are not at all convinced of
the truth of the Romanist position by his arguments nevertheless read him with
delight because of his obvious love for God and his neighbor.
By no means all of his writings were concerned with disputation. His best
known and best loved treatises were concerned with the life of prayer, and
were written to advise those who wish to become more aware of the presence
of God in their lives. His Introduction to the Devout Life was highly praised by
John Wesley. C.S. Lewis has referred to the "dewy freshness" that permeates
the book. It is available in English, as is his The Love of God. Both have been
used and found helpful by Christians of many different denominations.
In 1604 he met a widow, Jane Frances de Chantal (born at Dijon, 1572, died
12 December 1641), and under his influence she founded a religious order of
nuns called the Order of the Visitation. Their correspondence is an outstanding
example of mutual Christian encouragement and support.
Francis died at Lyons 29 December 1622. Since this date is already spoken for
(Thomas a Becket), he is remembered 24 January. [James Kiefer]