OREMUS: 23 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Jan 22 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Friday, January 23, 2009
Phillips Brooks, Bishop of Massachusetts, 1893

Blessed are you, Eternal One,
you search us and you know us.
You surround us and you stay with us.
You form us, creating us lovingly,
seeing our mould and pattern,
the path of our days,
even before others think of us.

I waited patiently upon the Lord;*
 he stooped to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the desolate pit,
   out of the mire and clay;*
 he set my feet upon a high cliff and made my footing sure.
He put a new song in my mouth,
   a song of praise to our God;*
 many shall see and stand in awe
   and put their trust in the Lord.
Happy are they who trust in the Lord!*
 they do not resort to evil spirits or turn to false gods.
Great things are they that you have done, O Lord my God!
   how great your wonders and your plans for us!*
 there is none who can be compared with you.
O that I could make them known and tell them!*
 but they are more than I can count.
In sacrifice and offering you take no pleasure*
 you have given me ears to hear you;
Burntoffering and sinoffering you have not required,*
 and so I said, 'Behold, I come.
'In the roll of the book it is written concerning me:*
 "I love to do your will, O my God;
 your law is deep in my heart."'
I proclaimed righteousness in the great congregation;*
 behold, I did not restrain my lips;
 and that, O Lord, you know.
Your righteousness have I not hidden in my heart;
   I have spoken of your faithfulness and your deliverance;*
 I have not concealed your love and faithfulness
   from the great congregation.
You are the Lord;
   do not withhold your compassion from me;*
 let your love and your faithfulness keep me safe for ever,
For innumerable troubles have crowded upon me;
   my sins have overtaken me and I cannot see;*
 they are more in number than the hairs of my head,
   and my heart fails me.
Be pleased, O Lord, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let them be ashamed and altogether dismayed
   who seek after my life to destroy it;*
 let them draw back and be disgraced
   who take pleasure in my misfortune.
Let those who say 'Aha!' and gloat over me be confounded,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice in you and be glad;*
 let those who love your salvation continually say,
   'Great is the Lord!'
Though I am poor and afflicted,*
 the Lord will have regard for me.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 do not tarry, O my God.

The Song of Christ(s Glory (Philippians 2.511)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
but he did not cling to equality with God.
He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
and was born in our human likeness.
Being found in human form he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted him,
and bestowed on him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth;
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 8:22-35]:

The Lord created me at the beginning of his work,
ÿÿÿthe first of his acts of long ago.
Ages ago I was set up,
ÿÿÿat the first, before the beginning of the earth.
When there were no depths I was brought forth,
ÿÿÿwhen there were no springs abounding with water.
Before the mountains had been shaped,
ÿÿÿbefore the hills, I was brought forth?
when he had not yet made earth and fields,
ÿÿÿor the world?s first bits of soil.
When he established the heavens, I was there,
ÿÿÿwhen he drew a circle on the face of the deep,
when he made firm the skies above,
ÿÿÿwhen he established the fountains of the deep,
when he assigned to the sea its limit,
ÿÿÿso that the waters might not transgress his command,
when he marked out the foundations of the earth,
ÿÿÿthen I was beside him, like a master worker;
and I was daily his delight,
ÿÿÿrejoicing before him always,
rejoicing in his inhabited world
ÿÿÿand delighting in the humanÿrace.

?And now, my children, listen to me:
ÿÿÿhappy are those who keep myÿways.
Hear instruction and be wise,
ÿÿÿand do not neglect it.
Happy is the one who listens to me,
ÿÿÿwatching daily at my gates,
ÿÿÿwaiting beside my doors.
For whoever finds me finds life
ÿÿÿand obtains favour from the Lord.

HYMN
Words: Joachim Neander (1650-1680), trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878)
Tune: Lobe den Herren

Praise to the Lord, the almighty, the King of creation;
O my soul, praise him, for his is thy health and salvation:
come ye who hear,
brothers and sisters draw near,
praise him in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, who o'er all things so wondrously reigneth,
shelters thee under his wings, yea, so gently sustaineth:
hast thou not seen
all that is needful hath been
granted in what he ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work, and defend thee;
surely his goodness and mercy here daily attend thee;
ponder anew
all the almighty can do,
he who with love doth befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord, who doth nourish thy life and restore thee,
fitting thee well for the tasks that are ever before thee,
then to thy need
he like a mother doth speed,
spreading the wings of grace o'er thee.

Praise to the Lord! O let all that is in me adore him!
All that hath life and breath come now with praises before him!
Let the Amen
sound from his people again:
gladly for ay we adore him.

SECOND READING [Philippians 1:1-11]:

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,

To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I thank my God every time I remember you, constantly praying with joy in every one of my prayers for all of you, because of your sharing in the gospel from the first day until now. I am confident of this, that the one who began a good work among you will bring it to completion by the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to think this way about all of you, because you hold me in your heart, for all of you share in God?s grace with me, both in my imprisonment and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I long for all of you with the compassion of Christ Jesus. And this is my prayer, that your love may overflow more and more with knowledge and full insight to help you to determine what is best, so that on the day of Christ you may be pure and blameless, having produced the harvest of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ for the glory and praise of God.

Faithful God, Lord of all,
we offer our prayers to you
for a world in need.

Lord of the Church, we pray for your people throughout the world,
especially in the Diocese of
Give unity in the Spirit
that we may be one in the witness of saving love
and glorify you with one mind and mouth.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Head of the Body,
give us wisdom to follow your commandments,
to live peacefully and do justly,
and to walk humbly with you.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Creator and ruler of the universe,
give to all who exercise authority
wisdom and virtue to govern justly
and bring peace across the land.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Source of all compassion,
give to all who suffer
the light of your presence and the caring of your people,
to bring calm and comfort.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

Giver of good to all,
take from us any evil thought or will
that we may forgive those who offend us or seek our harm
as you have forgiven us.
Faithful God,
hear our prayer.

All-knowing One, you who see us as we are
and know us as we should be:
forgive our sins, set us free from fear,
and give us lives abundant with your guiding presence,
that we may be yours for ever,

through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O everlasting God,
you revealed truth to your servant Phillips Brooks,
and so formed and molded his mind and heart
that he was able to mediate the truth with grace and power:
Grant, we pray, that all whom you call to preach the Gospel
may steep themselves in your Word,
and conform their lives to your will;

God, who formed us,
continue to shape us as a vessel of the Gospel.
Christ Jesus, whom we bear,
mark our life with the good news.
The Holy Spirit, dwelling within,
fill us with the healing, liberating power of Christ.  Amen.

from _Uniting in Worship 2_, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in Australia.

The intercession and collect are adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press.

Phillips Brooks is best known today as the author of "O Little Town of
Bethlehem." Former generations, however, accounted him the greatest
American preacher of the nineteenth century (and not for lack of other
candidates). His sermons are still read.
He was born in Boston in 1835 and educated at Harvard and at Virginia
Theological Seminary. After ten years of ministry at two churches in
Philadelphia, he returned to Boston in 1869 and was rector of Trinity Church
there until 1891. He was then elected Bishop of Massachusetts, and died two
years later. [James Kiefer]