OREMUS: 21 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 20 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Blessed are you, Eternal One,
you search us and you know us.
You surround us and you stay with us.
You form us, creating us lovingly,
seeing our mould and pattern,
the path of our days,
even before others think of us.

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;
   let me never be put to shame;*
 deliver me in your righteousness.
Incline your ear to me;*
 make haste to deliver me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
   for you are my crag and my stronghold;*
 for the sake of your name, lead me and guide me.
Take me out of the net
   that they have secretly set for me,*
 for you are my tower of strength.
Into your hands I commend my spirit,*
 for you have redeemed me,
   O Lord, O God of truth.
I hate those who cling to worthless idols,*
 and I put my trust in the Lord.
I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy;*
 for you have seen my affliction;
   you know my distress.
You have not shut me up in the power of the enemy;*
 you have set my feet in an open place.
Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am in trouble;*
 my eye is consumed with sorrow,
   and also my throat and my belly.
For my life is wasted with grief,
   and my years with sighing;*
 my strength fails me because of affliction,
   and my bones are consumed.
I have become a reproach to all my enemies
   and even to my neighbours,
   a dismay to those of my acquaintance;*
 when they see me in the street they avoid me.
I am forgotten like the dead, out of mind;*
 I am as useless as a broken pot.
For I have heard the whispering of the crowd;
   fear is all around;*
 they put their heads together against me;
   they plot to take my life.
But as for me, I have trusted in you, O Lord.*
 I have said, 'You are my God.
'My times are in your hand;*
 rescue me from the hand of my enemies,

   and from those who persecute me.
'Make your face to shine upon your servant,*
 and in your lovingkindness save me.'
Lord, let me not be ashamed
   for having called upon you;*
 rather, let the wicked be put to shame;
   let them be silent in the grave.
Let the lying lips be silenced
   which speak against the righteous,*
 haughtily, disdainfully and with contempt.
How great is your goodness, O Lord,
   which you have laid up for those who fear you;*
 which you have done in the sight of all
   for those who put their trust in you.
You hide them in the covert of your presence
   from those who slander them;*
 you keep them in your shelter from the strife of tongues.
Blessed be the Lord!*
 for he has shown me the wonders of his love
   in a besieged city.
Yet I said in my alarm,
   'I have been cut off from the sight of your eyes.'*
 Nevertheless, you heard the sound of my entreaty
   when I cried out to you.
Love the Lord, all you who worship him;*
 the Lord protects the faithful,
   but repays to the full those who act haughtily.
Be strong and let your heart take courage,*
 all you who wait for the Lord.

A Song of Praise (Revelation 4.11; 5.9b,10)

You are worthy, our Lord and God,
to receive glory and honour and power.
For you have created all things,
and by your will they have their being.
You are worthy, O Lamb, for you were slain,
and by your blood you ransomed for God
saints from every tribe and language and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests
serving our God,
and they will reign with you on earth.

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Proverbs 8:1-11]:

Does not wisdom call,
ÿÿÿand does not understanding raise her voice?
On the heights, beside the way,
ÿÿÿat the crossroads she takes her stand;
beside the gates in front of the town,
ÿÿÿat the entrance of the portals she cries out:
?To you, Oÿpeople, I call,
ÿÿÿand my cry is to all that live.
Oÿsimple ones, learn prudence;
ÿÿÿacquire intelligence, you who lack it.
Hear, for I will speak noble things,
ÿÿÿand from my lips will come what is right;
for my mouth will utter truth;
ÿÿÿwickedness is an abomination to my lips.
All the words of my mouth are righteous;
ÿÿÿthere is nothing twisted or crooked in them.
They are all straight to one who understands
ÿÿÿand right to those who find knowledge.
Take my instruction instead of silver,
ÿÿÿand knowledge rather than choice gold;
for wisdom is better than jewels,
ÿÿÿand all that you may desire cannot compare with her.

HYMN
Words: William Bright (1824-1901)
Tune: Arfon, Heathlands, Ratisbon

At thy feet, O Christ, we lay
thine own gift of this new day;
doubt of what it holds in store
makes us crave thine aid the more;
lest it prove a time of loss,
mark it, Saviour with thy cross.

If it flow on calm and bright,
be thyself our chief delight;
if it bring unknown distress,
good is all that thou canst bless;
only, while its hours begin,
pray we, keep them clear of sin.

We in part our weakness know
and in part discern our foe;
well for us, before thine eyes
all our danger open lies;
turn not from us while we plead
thy compassions and our need.

Fain would we thy word embrace,
live each moment in thy grace,
all ourselves to thee consign,
fold up all our wills in thine,
think, and speak, and do, and be
simply that which pleases thee.

Hear us, Lord, and that right soon;
hear and grant the choicest boon
that thy love can e'er impart,
loyal singleness of heart;
so shall this, and all our days,
Christ our God, show forth thy praise.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 5:15-end]:

ÿBe careful then how you live, not as unwise people but as wise, making the most of the time, because the days are evil. So do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. Do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery; but be filled with the Spirit, as you sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs among yourselves, singing and making melody to the Lord in your hearts, giving thanks to God the Father at all times and for everything in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Be subject to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of which he is the Saviour. Just as the church is subject to Christ, so also wives ought to be, in everything, to their husbands.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, in order to make her holy by cleansing her with the washing of water by the word, so as to present the church to himself in splendour, without a spot or wrinkle or anything of the kind?yes, so that she may be holy and without blemish. In the same way, husbands should love their wives as they do their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hates his own body, but he nourishes and tenderly cares for it, just as Christ does for the church, because we are members of his body. ?For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.? This is a great mystery, and I am applying it to Christ and the church. Each of you, however, should love his wife as himself, and a wife should respect her husband.

Let us pray for the grace to recognize
the presence of God in our lives.

Open our eyes to see your salvation;
reveal yourself to a blind humanity.

Make your face shine upon those who live with disease;
give them your strength and your peace.

Let all who are weighed down by want come to know your bounty;
that they may put their trust in your goodness.

To those who hold power and riches, grant a discerning spirit;
that they may be set free by your freedom and love.

O God,
all wisdom comes from you:
Give us that true and everlasting wisdom
which cannot be purchased with gold,
but comes only by giving up evil,
living in your fear,
and obeying and loving you in all things;

God, who formed us,
continue to shape us as a vessel of the Gospel.
Christ Jesus, whom we bear,
mark our life with the good news.
The Holy Spirit, dwelling within,
fill us with the healing, liberating power of Christ.  Amen.

from _Uniting in Worship 2_, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in Australia.

The intercession is based on a prayer in _In Spirit and In Truth_, (c) World Council of Churches, 1991. The collect is one collected by Eric Milner-White in _Daily Prayer_, 1941.