OREMUS: 19 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Jan 18 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, January 19, 2009

Blessed are you, Eternal One,
you search us and you know us.
You surround us and you stay with us.
You form us, creating us lovingly,
seeing our mould and pattern,
the path of our days,
even before others think of us.

I love you, O Lord my strength,*
 O Lord my stronghold, my crag and my haven.
My God, my rock in whom I put my trust,*
 my shield, the horn of my salvation and my refuge;
   you are worthy of praise.
I will call upon the Lord,*
 and so shall I be saved from my enemies.
The breakers of death rolled over me,*
 and the torrents of oblivion made me afraid.
The cords of hell entangled me,*
 and the snares of death were set for me.
I called upon the Lord in my distress*
 and cried out to my God for help.
He heard my voice from his heavenly dwelling;*
 my cry of anguish came to his ears.
The earth reeled and rocked;*
 the roots of the mountains shook;
   they reeled because of his anger.
Smoke rose from his nostrils
   and a consuming fire out of his mouth;*
 hot burning coals blazed forth from him.
He parted the heavens and came down*
 with a storm cloud under his feet.
He mounted on cherubim and flew;*
 he swooped on the wings of the wind.
He wrapped darkness about him;*
 he made dark waters and thick clouds his pavilion.
>From the brightness of his presence, through the clouds,*
 burst hailstones and coals of fire.
The Lord thundered out of heaven;*
 the Most High uttered his voice.
He loosed his arrows and scattered them;*
 he hurled thunderbolts and routed them.
The beds of the seas were uncovered,
   and the foundations of the world laid bare,*
 at your battle cry, O Lord,
   at the blast of the breath of your nostrils.
He reached down from on high and grasped me;*
 he drew me out of great waters.
He delivered me from my strong enemies
   and from those who hated me;*
 for they were too mighty for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster;*
 but the Lord was my support.
He brought me out into an open place;*
 he rescued me because he delighted in me.

A Song of God(s Grace (Ephesians 1.310)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,
According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 4:20-end]:

My child, be attentive to my words;
ÿÿÿincline your ear to my sayings.
Do not let them escape from yourÿsight;
ÿÿÿkeep them within your heart.
For they are life to those who findÿthem,
ÿÿÿand healing to all their flesh.
Keep your heart with all vigilance,
ÿÿÿfor from it flow the springs ofÿlife.
Put away from you crooked speech,
ÿÿÿand put devious talk far fromÿyou.
Let your eyes look directly forwards,
ÿÿÿand your gaze be straight beforeÿyou.
Keep straight the path of your feet,
ÿÿÿand all your ways will be sure.
Do not swerve to the right or to theÿleft;
ÿÿÿturn your foot away from evil.

HYMN
Words: June Boyce-Tillman (born 1943) ? Stainer & Bell Ltd Used with permission
Meter: 87 87 87

Melody of God's grace, shape us,
As we form life's curving phrase
>From the essence of Your loving
Flowing through each passing phase.
May our lives reflect the singing
Of the angels' endless praise.

Harmony of God's peace, move us
To resolve disputes with love,
So the discords drive us forward
To the joy of heav'n above.
May our lives reflect the music
Of the flying Spirit-dove.

Rhythm of God's order, structure
Patterns of vitality.
Vibrant pulse, Your strength is flowing
>From hope's creativity.
May our lives reflect Your Priesthood
Dancing in humanity.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 4:17-end]:

Now this I affirm and insist on in the Lord: you must no longer live as the Gentiles live, in the futility of their minds. They are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of their ignorance and hardness of heart. They have lost all sensitivity and have abandoned themselves to licentiousness, greedy to practise every kind of impurity. That is not the way you learned Christ! For surely you have heard about him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus. You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness.

So then, putting away falsehood, let all of us speak the truth to our neighbours, for we are members of one another. Be angry but do not sin; do not let the sun go down on your anger, and do not make room for the devil. Thieves must give up stealing; rather let them labour and work honestly with their own hands, so as to have something to share with the needy. Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with which you were marked with a seal for the day of redemption. Put away from you all bitterness and wrath and anger and wrangling and slander, together with all malice, and be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ has forgiven you.

Creator and Sustainer of life, God,

who ever calls us back
to his ways of justice and peace:
we thank you for the gift of the land,
for its beauty, and its resources,
and the rich heritage we enjoy.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

And so we pray:
for those who make decisions about our land and its resources;
for those who work on the land and sea,
in our cities, and in commerce and industry;
for artists, scientists, politicians, and visionaries.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

We thank you for giving us life, and for giving us our life together.
We pray for all who through their own or others( actions
are deprived of fullness of life;
for all who know sickness, disability, and an untimely death;
for all who devote their lives to ministering to the needs of others.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Give us reverence for life in this, your created world.
May we reflect the goodness of your creation
in the society we create with and for one another.
Merciful, mighty God:
hear our prayer.

Pilgrim Christ,
encourage us by your tough yet gentle Spirit,
that we may receive from your love
the simplicity which is profound, ÿ
the innocence which is wisdom,ÿ
the weakness which is strength,ÿ
and the death which is life.
For your name?s sake. Amen.

God, who formed us,
continue to shape us as a vessel of the Gospel.
Christ Jesus, whom we bear,
mark our life with the good news.
The Holy Spirit, dwelling within,
fill us with the healing, liberating power of Christ.  Amen.

from _Uniting in Worship 2_, (c) 2005 Uniting Church in Australia. The collect is by Bruce Prewer.