OREMUS: 18 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 17 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, January 18, 2009
The Confession of Saint Peter the Apostle

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for the glory revealed in your saints.
Their holiness establishes and adorns
the Church, the Body of Christ your Son,
firmly founded on the apostles.
You made them guardians and leaders of your flock
and entrusted to them the keys of the kingdom.
We give you thanks for the apostolic heritage of your Church.

In you, O Lord, have I taken refuge;*
 let me never be ashamed.
In your righteousness, deliver me and set me free;*
 incline your ear to me and save me.
Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe;*
 you are my crag and my stronghold.
Deliver me, my God, from the hand of the wicked,*
 from the clutches of the evildoer and the oppressor.
For you are my hope, O Lord God,*
 my confidence since I was young.
I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;
   from my mother's womb you have been my strength;*
 my praise shall be always of you.
I have become a portent to many;*
 but you are my refuge and my strength.
Let my mouth be full of your praise*
 and your glory all the day long.
Do not cast me off in my old age;*
 forsake me not when my strength fails.
For my enemies are talking against me,*
 and those who lie in wait for my life
   take counsel together.
They say, 'God has forsaken him;
   go after him and seize him;*
 because there is none who will save.'
O God, be not far from me;*
 come quickly to help me, O my God.
Let those who set themselves against me
   be put to shame and be disgraced;*
 let those who seek to do me evil
   be covered with scorn and reproach.
But I shall always wait in patience,*
 and shall praise you more and more.
My mouth shall recount your mighty acts
   and saving deeds all day long;*
 though I cannot know the number of them.
I will begin with the mighty works of the Lord God;*
 I will recall your righteousness, yours alone.
O God, you have taught me since I was young,*
 and to this day I tell of your wonderful works.
And now that I am old and grey-headed, O God,
   do not forsake me,*
 till I make known your strength to this generation
   and your power to all who are to come.
Your righteousness, O God, reaches to the heavens;*
 you have done great things; who is like you, O God?
You have showed me great troubles and adversities,*
 but you will restore my life and bring me up again
   from the deep places of the earth.
You strengthen me more and more;*
 you enfold and comfort me,
Therefore I will praise you upon the lyre
   for your faithfulness, O my God;*
 I will sing to you with the harp, O Holy One of Israel.
My lips will sing with joy when I play to you,*
 and so will my soul, which you have redeemed.
My tongue will proclaim your righteousness all day long,*
 for they are ashamed and disgraced
   who sought to do me harm.

A Song of Faith (1 Peter 1.3-4,18-21)

Blessed be the God and Father
of our Lord Jesus Christ!

By his great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope
through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.

Into an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled and unfading,
kept in heaven for you.

Who are being protected by the power of God
through faith for a salvation,
ready to be revealed in the last time.

You were ransomed from the futile ways of your ancestors
not with perishable things like silver or gold

But with the precious blood of Christ
like that of a lamb without spot or stain.

Through him you have confidence in God,
who raised him from the dead and gave him glory,
so that your faith and hope are set on God.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [Ezekiel 2:1-7]:

The Lord said to me: O mortal, stand up on your feet, and I will speak with you. And when he
spoke to me, a spirit entered into me and set me on my feet; and I heard him speaking to me. He
said to me, Mortal, I am sending you to the people of Israel, to a nation of rebels who have
rebelled against me; they and their ancestors have transgressed against me to this very day. The
descendants are impudent and stubborn. I am sending you to them, and you shall say to them,
'Thus says the Lord God.' Whether they hear or refuse to hear (for they are a rebellious house),
they shall know that there has been a prophet among them. And you, O mortal, do not be afraid of
them, and do not be afraid of their words, though briers and thorns surround you and you live
among scorpions; do not be afraid of their words, and do not be dismayed at their looks, for they
are a rebellious house. You shall speak my words to them, whether they hear or refuse to hear; for
they are a rebellious house.

HYMN
Words: William Walsham How, 1871
Tune: Croft's 136th, Love Unknown
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t578.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t578.html

Thou art the Christ, O Lord,
the Son of God most high!
For ever be adored
that Name in earth and sky,
in which, though mortal strength may fail,
the saints of God at last prevail!

O surely he was blest
with blessedness unpriced,
who, taught of God, confessed
the Godhead in the Christ!
For of thy Church, Lord, thou didst own
thy saint a true foundation-stone.

Thrice fallen, thrice restored!
The bitter lesson learned,
that heart for thee, O Lord,
with triple ardor burned.
The cross he took he laid not down
until he grasped the martyr's crown.

O bright triumphant faith,
O courage void of fears!
O love most strong in death,
O penitential tears!
By these, Lord, keep us lest we fall,
and make us go where thou shalt call.

SECOND READING [Matthew 16:13-19]:

Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, 'Who do people say that the Son of Man is?' And they said, 'Some say John the Baptist, but others Elijah, and still others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.' He said to them, 'But who do you say that I am?' Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.' And Jesus answered him, 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth will be
bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.'

Christ, the Prince of Peace, through his death and resurrection reconciled the whole of creation to God. In faith and hope let us now bring our prayers to God.

We pray for peace throughout the world: that Christ?s message of reconciliation may take root and flourish in our lives and communities.

We pray for all those caught up in the violence in Gaza: may there be a swift and just end to the conflict, and lasting reconciliation between the peoples of the Holy Land.

We pray for those parts of the world where there is continuing warfare and violence; especially for Afghanistan, Iraq and Sudan; and we pray for all those who work for peace and justice.

We pray for those throughout the world who live in poverty: may we be generous in our response to their need, and in combating the causes of poverty.

We pray, as we begin this Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, for the unity of all Christian people: that together we may work to spread the Good News of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We pray for Barack Obama as he prepares for his inauguration as President of the United States: that he may be filled with the wisdom, courage and vision to fulfil the work for which he has been chosen.

We pray for those who have died, especially remembering those who have died violently or in war: may they rest in peace. Almighty Father, you sent your Son into the world to proclaim the Gospel of peace and reconciliation; we ask you to hear the prayers that we make through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Almighty God,
who inspired Simon Peter,
first among the apostles,
to confess Jesus as Messiah and Son of the living God:
Keep your Church steadfast upon the rock of this faith,
so that in unity and peace we may proclaim
the one truth and follow the one Lord,
our Savior Jesus Christ;
who lives and reigns with you,
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

Stir us with your voice
and enlighten our lives with your grace
that we may give ourselves fully
to Christ's call to mission and ministry. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and uses phrases
from a text in _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The Ambrosian
Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c) The
Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979),
Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers