OREMUS: 15 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Jan 14 17:44:13 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Thursday, January 15, 2009
Richard Meux Benson, Religious,
Founder of the Society of Saint John the Evangelist, 1915

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

 I will tell of all your marvellous works.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;*
 I will sing to your name, O Most High.
When my enemies are driven back,*
 they will stumble and perish at your presence.
For you have maintained my right and my cause;*
 you sit upon your throne judging right.
You have rebuked the ungodly and destroyed the wicked;*
 you have blotted out their name for ever and ever.
As for the enemy, they are finished, in perpetual ruin,*
 their cities ploughed under,
   the memory of them perished;
But the Lord is enthroned for ever;*
 he has set up his throne for judgement.
It is he who rules the world with righteousness;*
 he judges the peoples with equity.
The Lord will be a refuge for the oppressed,*
 a refuge in time of trouble.
Those who know your name will put their trust in you,*
 for you never forsake those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord who dwells in Zion;*
 proclaim to the peoples the things he has done.
The avenger of blood will remember them;*
 he will not forget the cry of the afflicted.
Have pity on me, O Lord;*
 see the misery I suffer from those who hate me,
   O you who lift me up from the gate of death;
So that I may tell of all your praises
   and rejoice in your salvation*
 in the gates of the city of Zion.
The ungodly have fallen into the pit they dug,*
 and in the snare they set is their own foot caught.
The Lord is known by his acts of justice;*
 the wicked are trapped in the works of their own hands.
The wicked shall be given over to the grave,*
 and also all the peoples that forget God.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,*
 and the hope of the poor shall not perish for ever.
Rise up, O Lord,
   let not the ungodly have the upper hand;*

 let them be judged before you.
Put fear upon them, O Lord;*
 let the ungodly know they are but mortal.

Great and Wonderful (Revelation 15.3,4)

Great and wonderful are your deeds, .
Lord God the Almighty.
Just and true are your ways, .
O ruler of the nations.
Who shall not revere and praise your name, O Lord? .
for you alone are holy.
All nations shall come and worship in your presence: .
for your just dealings have been revealed.

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 3:13-20]:

Happy are those who find wisdom,
ÿÿÿand those who get understanding,
for her income is better than silver,
ÿÿÿand her revenue better than gold.
She is more precious than jewels,
ÿÿÿand nothing you desire can compare with her.
Long life is in her right hand;
ÿÿÿin her left hand are riches and honour.
Her ways are ways of pleasantness,
ÿÿÿand all her paths are peace.
She is a tree of life to those who lay hold of her;
ÿÿÿthose who hold her fast are called happy.

The Lord by wisdom founded the earth;
ÿÿÿby understanding he established the heavens;
by his knowledge the deeps broke open,
ÿÿÿand the clouds drop down the dew.

HYMN
Words: Richard Meux Benson (1824-1915)
Meter: 77 77

Praise to God who reigns above,
Binding earth and heaven in love;
All the armies of the sky
Worship his dread sovereignty.

Seraphim his praises sing,
Cherubim on fourfold wing,
Thrones, Dominions, Princes, Powers,
Marshalled might that never cowers.

Speeds the Archangel from his face,
Bearing messages of grace;
Angel hosts his words fulfil,
Ruling nature by his will.

Yet on man they joy to wait,
All that bright celestial state,
For in Man their Lord they see,
Christ, the incarnate Deity.

On the throne their Lord who died
Sits in Manhood glorified;
Where his people faint below
Angels count it joy to go.

O the depths of joy divine
Thrilling through those orders nine,
When the lost are found again,
When the banished come to reign!

Now in faith, in hope, in love,
We will join the choirs above,
Praising, with the heavenly host,
Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 3:1-13]:

This is the reason that I Paul am a prisoner for Christ Jesus for the sake of you Gentiles? for surely you have already heard of the commission of God?s grace that was given to me for you, and how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I wrote above in a few words, a reading of which will enable you to perceive my understanding of the mystery of Christ. In former generations this mystery was not made known to humankind, as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit: that is, the Gentiles have become fellow-heirs, members of the same body, and sharers in the promise in Christ Jesus through the gospel.

Of this gospel I have become a servant according to the gift of God?s grace that was given to me by the working of his power. Although I am the very least of all the saints, this grace was given to me to bring to the Gentiles the news of the boundless riches of Christ, and to make everyone see what is the plan of the mystery hidden for ages in God who created all things; so that through the church the wisdom of God in its rich variety might now be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was in accordance with the eternal purpose that he has carried out in Christ Jesus our Lord, in whom we have access to God in boldness and confidence through faith in him. I pray therefore that you may not lose heart over my sufferings for you; they are your glory.

Lord of our lives,
we have decided to follow Jesus
and have chosen to be in your Kingdom.
Give us courage, discernment and an unwavering faith.

We pray for your Church throughout the world,
Shed forth your spirit of discipleship upon us.

When we are uncertain,
reveal a vision.

When we are passive,
light a fire.

When we are tempted,
send your Spirit.

Enfold us in your love,
wrap us about with assurance
and infuse us with determination,
that we may be true disciples
and all the world may see the love of Jesus Christ in us. Amen.

Almighty God,
look mercifully upon the world,
redeemed by the blood of thy dear Son,
and send forth many more to do the work of the ministry,
that perishing souls may be rescued,
and thy glorious triumph may be hastened
by the perfecting of thine elect
through the same thy Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Blessed are you, eternal God,
for your servant Richard Meux Benson,
who heeded your call to holiness
and nurtured in others, far and near,
the vocation of constant union with Christ.
Heal our intentions and transfigure our wills,
that our lives may be filled
with the harmony of your life;

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is adapted by Stephen Benner from a prayer by Arlene M. Mark, from _Words for Worship_; used by permission of Herald Press. The first collect is by Fr. Benson and the second collect is from _For All the Saints_, (c) General Synod of the Anglican Church of Canada, 1994.

A biography of Richard Meux Benson can be found at

http://justus.anglican.org/resources/pc/bios/rmbenson.html.