OREMUS: 14 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Jan 13 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

O Lord my God, I take refuge in you;*
 save and deliver me from all who pursue me;
Lest like a lion they tear me in pieces*
 and snatch me away with none to deliver me.
O Lord my God, if I have done these things:*
 if there is any wickedness in my hands,
If I have repaid my friend with evil,*
 or plundered one who without cause is my enemy;
Then let my enemy pursue and overtake me,*
 trample my life into the ground,
   and lay my honour in the dust.
Stand up, O Lord, in your wrath;*
 rise up against the fury of my enemies.
Awake, O my God, decree justice;*
 let the assembly of the peoples gather round you.
Be seated on your lofty throne, O Most High;*
 O Lord, judge the nations.
Give judgement for me
   according to my righteousness, O Lord,*
 and according to my innocence, O Most High.
Let the malice of the wicked come to an end,
   but establish the righteous;*
 for you test the mind and heart, O righteous God.
God is my shield and defence;*
 he is the saviour of the true in heart.
God is a righteous judge;*
 God sits in judgement every day.
If they will not repent, God will whet his sword;*
 he will bend his bow and make it ready.
He has prepared his weapons of death;*
 he makes his arrows shafts of fire.
Look at those who are in labour with wickedness,*
 who conceive evil and give birth to a lie.
They dig a pit and make it deep*
 and fall into the hole that they have made.
Their malice turns back upon their own head;*
 their violence falls on their own scalp.
I will bear witness that the Lord is righteous;*
 I will praise the name of the Lord Most High.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.611)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,( says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.(

Psalm 147:13-end

Alleluia!
Worship the Lord, O Jerusalem;*
 praise your God, O Zion;
 he satisfies you with the finest wheat.
He sends out his command to the earth,*
 and his word runs very swiftly.
He gives snow like wool;*
 he scatters hoarfrost like ashes.
 who can stand against his cold?
He declares his word to Jacob,*

FIRST READING [Proverbs 3:1-7, 11-12]:

My child, do not forget my teaching,
ÿÿÿbut let your heart keep my commandments;
for length of days and years of life
ÿÿÿand abundant welfare they will give you.

Do not let loyalty and faithfulness forsake you;
ÿÿÿbind them round your neck,
ÿÿÿwrite them on the tablet of your heart.
So you will find favour and good repute
ÿÿÿin the sight of God and of people.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
ÿÿÿand do not rely on your own insight.
In all your ways acknowledge him,
ÿÿÿand he will make straight your paths.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
ÿÿÿfear the Lord, and turn away from evil.
My child, do not despise the Lord?s discipline
ÿÿÿor be weary of his reproof,
for the Lord reproves the one he loves,
ÿÿÿas a father the son in whom he delights.

HYMN
Words: Fred Pratt Green (1903-2000) ? 1969 Stainer & Bell Ltd Used with permission.
Tune: Christe Sanctorum, Iste Confessor

Christ is the world's Light, he and none other;
Born in our darkness, he became our Brother.
If we have seen him, we have seen the Father:
Glory to God on high.

Christ is the world's Peace, he and none other;
No one can serve him and despise another
Who else unites us, one in God the Father?
Glory to God on high.

Christ is the world's Life, he and none other;
Sold once for silver, murdered here, our Brother -
He who redeems us, reigns with God the Father:
Glory to God on high.

Give God the glory, God and none other;
Give God the glory, Spirit, Son and Father;
Give God the glory, God in Man my brother:
Glory to God on high.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 2:11-end]:

So then, remember that at one time you Gentiles by birth, called ?the uncircumcision? by those who are called ?the circumcision??a physical circumcision made in the flesh by human hands? remember that you were at that time without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he is our peace; in his flesh he has made both groups into one and has broken down the dividing wall, that is, the hostility between us. He has abolished the law with its commandments and ordinances, so that he might create in himself one new humanity in place of the two, thus making peace, and might reconcile both groups to God in one body through the cross, thus putting to death that hostility through it. So he came and proclaimed peace to you who were far off and peace to those who were near; for through him both of us have access in one Spirit to the Father. So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are citizens with the saints and also members of the household of God, built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the cornerstone. In him the whole structure is joined together and grows into a holy temple in the Lord; in whom you also are built together spiritually into a dwelling-place for God.

Creator God,
from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,
we commend all your people
to your tender care and safekeeping.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Protect all who are work in mines, tend machinery,
or travel by land, sea or air.
Defend those in mortal danger because of evil surrounding them.
Fill every hospital and nursing home
with your spirit of healing and love.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Govern our nation and its leaders,
that all that mars our social life and causes misery may be relieved,
that each person may have access to work, homes, food and health care.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Break down the suspicions and fears that keep the nations apart.
Rebuke those who foster prejudice.
Teach us all to live together in the peace of Jesus Christ.
Lord of mercy,
hear our prayer.

Grant to every member of your Church
the faith that removes obstacles,
the hope that makes all things new
and the love that brings deliverance,
that we more effectively serve you
and bring others to the knowledge of your truth.
Lord of mercy,

you make all things new this and every day.
Renew our faith and hope and love;
renew our wills, that we may serve you gladly;
renew our delight in your truth and your praise;
renew our joy in you
so that all who desire to walk in your light and power
may know you in your Son Jesus Christ. Amen.

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is adapted from _Prayers for Use in Church_, by J.W.G. Masteron, (c) 1970, St. Andrew Press. The collect is adapted from an anonymous prayer found in Frederick Macnutt?s _The Prayer Manual.