OREMUS: 13 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Jan 12 17:03:28 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Hilary, Bishop of Poitiers, Teacher of the Faith, 367

Blessed are you, God of wonderful knowledge,
whose voice calls each of us by name.
You confounded our expectation
by revealing yourself to the lowly
and you also confound our fear
that we may not be afraid
to face the powerful of this earth
with your word of judgment,
in the sure knowledge
that nothing spoken in your name will be lost.

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

The Song of Christ?s Glory (Philippians 2.511)

Christ Jesus was in the form of God,
but he did not cling to equality with God.
He emptied himself, taking the form of a servant,
and was born in our human likeness.
Being found in human form he humbled himself,
and became obedient unto death, even death on a cross.
Therefore God has highly exalted him,
and bestowed on him the name above every name,
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth;
And every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

FIRST READING [Proverbs 2:1-9]:

My child, if you accept my words
ÿÿÿand treasure up my commandments within you,
making your ear attentive to wisdom
ÿÿÿand inclining your heart to understanding;
if you indeed cry out for insight,
ÿÿÿand raise your voice for understanding;
if you seek it like silver,
ÿÿÿand search for it as for hidden treasures?
then you will understand the fear of the Lord
ÿÿÿand find the knowledge of God.
For the Lord gives wisdom;
ÿÿÿfrom his mouth come knowledge and understanding;
he stores up sound wisdom for the upright;
ÿÿÿhe is a shield to those who walk blamelessly,
guarding the paths of justice
ÿÿÿand preserving the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand righteousness and justice
ÿÿÿand equity, every good path

HYMN
Words: Lawrence Tuttiett (1825-1897)
Tune: Alstone

Oh grant us light, that we may know
The wisdom Thou alone canst give;
That truth may guide where'er we go
And virtue bless where'er we live.

Oh grant us light, that we may see,
Where error lurks in human lore,
And turn our doubting minds to Thee,
And love Thy simple word the more.

Oh grant us light, that we may learn
How dead is life from Thee apart;
How sure is joy for all who turn
To Thee an undivided heart.

Oh grant us light, in grief and pain,
To lift our burdened hearts above,
And count the very cross a gain,
And bless our Father's hidden love.

Oh grant us light, when soon or late
All earthly scenes shall pass away,
In Thee to find the open gate
To deathless home and endless day.

SECOND READING [Ephesians 2:1-10]:

You were dead through the trespasses and sins in which you once lived, following the course of this world, following the ruler of the power of the air, the spirit that is now at work among those who are disobedient. All of us once lived among them in the passions of our flesh, following the desires of flesh and senses, and we were by nature children of wrath, like everyone else. But God, who is rich in mercy, out of the great love with which he loved us even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ?by grace you have been saved? and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness towards us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God? not the result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are what he has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

Lord Jesus,
born in pain, struggling towards life, fighting for breath;
born in shame,
born to the threat of Herod?s sword;
fleeing to another country, another home;
wrapped in a young girl?s love, placed in a borrowed bed;
We pray for those we know and love;
for all who suffer pain of body or anguish of mind;
for all who struggle to live, to live well, to live better;
for all who burn with shame,
for all who face threat and danger,
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for warravaged countries and refugees;
for the starving poor;
for battered wives and abused children;
for the homeless, for the mentally ill;
for those who struggle with disability.
Strengthen us to work for peace on the earth
and peace with the earth.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for the Church,
especially the Diocese of
Keep us faithful that we may bear faithful witness in word and work
to your presence among us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

We pray for all who are alone.
May our love reach out to the lonely and brokenhearted,
the bereaved, and all for whom life has become something to be endured.
May we open our minds, hearts and homes to those around us.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

And we pray for our own needs:
seeking the grace of your presence,
firming our resolve to behave as we believe;
seeking your courage to reconcile, heal and make new;
seeking a sure vision of your coming kingdom.
We pray to you, O God:
Hear our prayer.

Lord Jesus Christ,
Word of God,
Creator and Redeemer,
so possess our mind and conscience,
our heart and imagination,
with your indwelling Spirit,
that we and all humanity, purged of pride,
may find you to be the lover of our souls. Amen.

Everlasting God,
whose servant Hilary
steadfastly confessed your Son Jesus Christ
   to be both human and divine:
grant us his gentle courtesy
to bring to all the message of redemption
   in the incarnate Christ,
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Lift up the light of your countenance on us, O God.,
that we may be faithful to your commandments
and always do what is right and good;

_Celebrating the Christian Year_ (c) Canterbury Press, Norwich.

The intercession is by David Bromell. The first collect is adapted from one by William Temple. The second collect is from _Common Worship: Services and Prayers for

Hilary of Poitiers (315-367) lived during the great controversy between
Athanasius, who taught that the Son is fully God, equally with the Father, and
Arius, who denied this.
Hilary is sometimes called "the Athanasius of the West." He was bishop of
Poitiers, and when he refused to sign a condemnation of Athanasius, the Arian
emperor Constantius (one of the sons of Constantine) banished him to Phrygia
in 357. His exile lasted three years, during which time he wrote several essays,
including On The Trinity. Finally the Emperor was forced to send him back to
Gaul because he was causing such difficulties for the Arians in the East. In 364,
he journeyed to Milan, where he engaged in public debate with the Arian
bishop Auxentius, and persuaded him of the error of his ways. [James
Kiefer]