OREMUS: 4 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Jan 3 17:00:00 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Sunday, January 4, 2009
The Second Sunday after Christmas

Blessed are you, loving and merciful God:
when peaceful silence lay over all,
and the night had run half of her swift course,
your all-powerful Word leaped down from heaven,
to take our flesh, to restore us to dignity,
and to reveal the power
of the new and everlasting covenant you have made with us:

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

   I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart,*
 in the assembly of the upright, in the congregation.
Great are the deeds of the Lord!*
 they are studied by all who delight in them.
His work is full of majesty and splendour,*
 and his righteousness endures for ever.
He makes his marvellous works to be remembered;*
 the Lord is gracious and full of compassion.
He gives food to those who fear him;*
 he is ever mindful of his covenant.
He has shown his people the power of his works*
 in giving them the lands of the nations.
The works of his hands are faithfulness and justice;*
 all his commandments are sure.
They stand fast for ever and ever,*
 because they are done in truth and equity.
He sent redemption to his people;
   he commanded his covenant for ever;*
 holy and awesome is his name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;*
 those who act accordingly have a good understanding;
   his praise endures for ever.

   Happy are they who fear the Lord*
 and have great delight in his commandments!
Their descendants will be mighty in the land;*
 the generation of the upright will be blessed.
Wealth and riches will be in their house,*
 and their righteousness will last for ever.
Light shines in the darkness for the upright;*
 the righteous are merciful and full of compassion.
It is good for them to be generous in lending*
 and to manage their affairs with justice.
For they will never be shaken;*
 the righteous will be kept in everlasting remembrance.
They will not be afraid of any evil rumours;*
 their heart is right;
   they put their trust in the Lord.
Their heart is established and will not shrink,*
 until they see their desire upon their enemies.
They have given freely to the poor,*
 and their righteousness stands fast for ever;
   they will hold up their head with honour.
The wicked will see it and be angry;
   they will gnash their teeth and pine away;*
 the desires of the wicked will perish.

A Song of the Messiah (Isaiah 9.2,3b,4a,6,7)

The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light;
those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness,
upon them the light has dawned.
You have increased their joy and given them great gladness;
they rejoiced before you as with joy at the harvest.
For you have shattered the yoke that burdened them;
the collar that lay heavy on their shoulders.
For to us a child is born and to us a son is given,
and the government will be upon his shoulder.
And his name will be called: Wonderful Counsellor;
the Mighty God;
the Everlasting Father; the Prince of Peace.
Of the increase of his government and of peace
there will be no end,
Upon the throne of David and over his kingdom,
to establish and uphold it with justice and righteousness.
>From this time forth and for evermore;
the zeal of the Lord of hosts will do this.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Micah 4:1-5; 5:2-4]:

In days to come
   the mountain of the Lord's house
shall be established as the highest of the mountains,
   and shall be raised up above the hills.
Peoples shall stream to it,
   and many nations shall come and say:
'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord,
   to the house of the God of Jacob;
that he may teach us his ways
   and that we may walk in his paths.'
For out of Zion shall go forth instruction,
   and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.
He shall judge between many peoples,
   and shall arbitrate between strong nations far away;
they shall beat their swords into ploughshares,
   and their spears into pruning-hooks;
nation shall not lift up sword against nation,
   neither shall they learn war any more;
but they shall all sit under their own vines and under their own fig trees,
   and no one shall make them afraid;
   for the mouth of the Lord of hosts has spoken.

For all the peoples walk,
   each in the name of its god,
but we will walk in the name of the Lord our God
   for ever and ever.

But you, O Bethlehem of Ephrathah,
   who are one of the little clans of Judah,
from you shall come forth for me
   one who is to rule in Israel,
whose origin is from of old,
   from ancient days.
Therefore he shall give them up until the time
   when she who is in labour has brought forth;
then the rest of his kindred shall return
   to the people of Israel.
And he shall stand and feed his flock in the strength of the Lord,
   in the majesty of the name of the Lord his God.
And they shall live secure, for now he shall be great
   to the ends of the earth.

HYMN
Words: Patrick Michaels, alt.   1989 by Hope Publishing Co., Carol Stream, IL
60188. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
Tune: Salve Regina coelitum

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w447.html

Who comes from God, as Word and Breath?
Holy Wisdom.
Who holds the keys of life and death?
Mighty Wisdom:
Crafter and Creator too,
eldest, she makes all things new;
she completes what God would do.
Wisest one, radiant one,
welcome, holy Wisdom!

Who lifts her voice for all to hear?
Joyful Wisdom.
Who shapes a thought and makes it clear?
Truthful Wisdom:
Teacher, drawing out our best,
magnifies what we invest,
names our truth, directs our quest.
Wisest one, radiant one,
welcome, holy Wisdom!

Whom should we seek with all our heart?
Loving Wisdom.
Who once revealed will not depart?
Faithful Wisdom:
Partner, Counselor, Comforter,
love has found none lovelier;
life is gladness lived with her.
Wisest one, radiant one,
welcome, holy Wisdom!

SECOND READING [Luke 2:21-32]:

After eight days had passed, it was time to circumcise the child; and he was called
Jesus, the name given by the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

When the time came for their purification according to the law of Moses, they brought
him up to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord (as it is written in the law of the Lord,
'Every firstborn male shall be designated as holy to the Lord'), and they offered a
sacrifice according to what is stated in the law of the Lord, 'a pair of turtle-doves or
two young pigeons.'

Now there was a man in Jerusalem whose name was Simeon; this man was righteous
and devout, looking forward to the consolation of Israel, and the Holy Spirit rested on
him. It had been revealed to him by the Holy Spirit that he would not see death before
he had seen the Lord's Messiah. Guided by the Spirit, Simeon came into the temple;
and when the parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him what was customary
under the law, Simeon took him in his arms and praised God, saying,
'Master, now you are dismissing your servant in peace,
   according to your word;
for my eyes have seen your salvation,
   which you have prepared in the presence of all peoples,
a light for revelation to the Gentiles
   and for glory to your people Israel.'

As we begin this New Year, let us come before the Lord and present our concerns to
him.

For the peoples of the world as we begin this new year: that peace, dignity, respect for
the gift of life, and love for one another will be at the forefront of our minds and the
fuel for our actions.

For all those who have been tragically killed at the beginning of this new year; that
they will find eternal rest and peace in the company of the saints and their families find
comfort through faith in their grief.

For the people of the Gaza strip, living amid violent conflict and rising aggression; that
they will know God's protection, and that the work of those who long for peace in the
region bears fruit.

For those involved in conflict across the world, in Sri Lanka, in Gaza, in Iraq; that God
will protect the people and bring about a peaceful resolution to the difficulties there.

For the people of Zimbabwe, starving because food is either unavailable or too
expensive; that those who have plenty will share what they have with those who have
nothing.

For the Zimbabwean government, particularly their president Robert Mugabe; that
through the work of the Church, God will penetrate their hearts, bring them to
redemption and fill them with compassion for the people over whom they have great
power.

For all the people of the world, when it seems our societies are infected with violence,
and plagued by cruelty and other tensions. That hope will survive, good will prevail
and happiness result.

We offer these prayers, as always, in the name of Jesus Christ, your son, our Lord.
Amen.

Almighty God,
you have filled us with the light of the Word
who became flesh and lived among us:
Let the light of faith shine in all that we do;
one God, now and forever.  Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The Eternal Light shine in our hearts.
The Eternal Light deliver us from evil.
The Eternal God grant us a glimpse of glory.  Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is by David
Adam.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on
their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers

The collect is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster /
John Knox Press.