OREMUS: 3 January 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Jan 2 17:00:00 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Saturday, January 3, 2009
Vedanayagam Samuel Azariah, Bishop in South India, Evangelist, 1945

you fill our hearts with joy
as we recognize in Christ the revelation of your love.
No eye can see his glory as our God,
yet now he is seen like one of us.
Christ is your Son before all ages,
yet now he is born in time.
He has come to lift up all things to himself,
to restore unity to creation,
and to lead us from exile into your heavenly kingdom.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 34

I will bless the Lord at all times;*
 his praise shall ever be in my mouth.
I will glory in the Lord;*
 let the humble hear and rejoice.
Proclaim with me the greatness of the Lord;*
 let us exalt his name together.
I sought the Lord and he answered me*
 and delivered me out of all my terror.
Look upon him and be radiant,*
 and let not your faces be ashamed.
I called in my affliction and the Lord heard me*
 and saved me from all my troubles.
The angel of the Lord
   encompasses those who fear him,*
 and he will deliver them.
Taste and see that the Lord is good;*
 happy are they who trust in him!
Fear the Lord, you that are his saints,*
 for those who fear him lack nothing.
The young lions lack and suffer hunger,*
 but those who seek the Lord
   lack nothing that is good.
Come, children, and listen to me;*
 I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Who among you loves life*
 and desires long life to enjoy prosperity?
Keep your tongue from evil-speaking*
 and your lips from lying words.
Turn from evil and do good;*
 seek peace and pursue it.
The eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous,*
 and his ears are open to their cry.
The face of the Lord is against those who do evil,*
 to root out the remembrance of them from the earth.
The righteous cry and the Lord hears them*
 and delivers them from all their troubles.
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted*
 and will save those whose spirits are crushed.
Many are the troubles of the righteous,*
 but the Lord will deliver him out of them all.
He will keep safe all his bones;*
 not one of them shall be broken.
Evil shall slay the wicked,*
 and those who hate the righteous will be punished.
The Lord ransoms the life of his servants,*
 and none will be punished who trust in him.

A Song of the Bride (Isaiah 61.10,11; 62.1-3)

I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
my soul shall exult in my God;
Who has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
and has covered me with the cloak of integrity,
As a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the earth puts forth her blossom,
and as seeds in the garden spring up,
So shall God make righteousness and praise
blossom before all the nations.
For Zion's sake I will not keep silent,
and for Jerusalem's sake I will not rest,
Until her deliverance shines out like the dawn,
and her salvation as a burning torch.
The nations shall see your deliverance,
and all rulers shall see your glory;
Then you shall be called by a new name
which the mouth of God will give.
You shall be a crown of glory in the hand of the Lord,
a royal diadem in the hand of your God.

 praise him with loud-clanging cymbals.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 64:4-end]:

>From ages past no one has heard,
   no ear has perceived,
no eye has seen any God besides you,
   who works for those who wait for him.
You meet those who gladly do right,
   those who remember you in your ways.
But you were angry, and we sinned;
   because you hid yourself we transgressed.
We have all become like one who is unclean,
   and all our righteous deeds are like a filthy cloth.
We all fade like a leaf,
   and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.
There is no one who calls on your name,
   or attempts to take hold of you;
for you have hidden your face from us,
   and have delivered us into the hand of our iniquity.
Yet, O Lord, you are our Father;
   we are the clay, and you are our potter;
   we are all the work of your hand.
Do not be exceedingly angry, O Lord,
   and do not remember iniquity for ever.
   Now consider, we are all your people.
Your holy cities have become a wilderness,
   Zion has become a wilderness,
   Jerusalem a desolation.
Our holy and beautiful house,
   where our ancestors praised you,
has been burned by fire,
   and all our pleasant places have become ruins.
After all this, will you restrain yourself, O Lord?
   Will you keep silent, and punish us so severely?

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley, 1747
Tune: Hyfrydol, Love Divine, Blaenwern

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l531.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/l/l
531.html

Love divine, all loves excelling,
joy of heaven, to earth come down,
fix in us thy humble dwelling,
all thy faithful mercies crown.
Jesus, thou art all compassion,
pure, unbounded love thou art;
visit us with thy salvation,
enter every trembling heart.

Come, almighty to deliver,
let us all thy life receive;
suddenly return, and never,
nevermore thy temples leave.
Thee we would be always blessing,
serve thee as thy hosts above,
pray, and praise thee without ceasing,
glory in thy perfect love.

Finish then thy new creation;
pure and spotless let us be;
let us see thy great salvation
perfectly restored in thee:
changed from glory into glory,
till in heaven we take our place,
till we cast our crowns before thee,
lost in wonder, love, and praise.

SECOND READING [1 John 3:13-end]:

Do not be astonished, brothers and sisters, that the world hates you. We know that we
have passed from death to life because we love one another. Whoever does not love
abides in death. All who hate a brother or sister are murderers, and you know that
murderers do not have eternal life abiding in them. We know love by this, that he laid
down his life for us and we ought to lay down our lives for one another. How does
God's love abide in anyone who has the world's goods and sees a brother or sister in
need and yet refuses help?

Little children, let us love, not in word or speech, but in truth and action. And by this
we will know that we are from the truth and will reassure our hearts before him
whenever our hearts condemn us; for God is greater than our hearts, and he knows
everything. Beloved, if our hearts do not condemn us, we have boldness before God;
and we receive from him whatever we ask, because we obey his commandments and
do what pleases him.

And this is his commandment, that we should believe in the name of his Son Jesus
Christ and love one another, just as he has commanded us. All who obey his
commandments abide in him, and he abides in them. And by this we know that he
abides in us, by the Spirit that he has given us.

Father, your Son our Savior
was born as a child among us.
Renew your Church as the Body of Christ.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

There was no room for your Son in the inn.
Protect with your love those who have no home
and all who live in poverty.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Mary, in the pain of labor, brought your Son to birth.
Hold in your hand all who are in pain or distress.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Your Christ came as a light shining in the darkness.
Bring comfort to all who suffer
in the sadness of our world.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

The angels sang 'Peace to God's people on earth'.
Strengthen those who work
for peace and justice in all the world.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Shepherds in the fields heard good tidings of joy.
Give us grace to preach the gospel of Christ's redemption.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Heaven is come down to earth
and earth is raised to heaven.
Keep in safety all those who have passed through death
in the hope of heaven.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Christians the world over celebrate his birth.
Open our hearts that he may be born in us today.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Angels and shepherds worshiped at the manger throne.
Receive the worship we offer in fellowship
with Mary, Joseph and all the saints.
Holy God,
hear our prayer.

Do not face us, O living God,
with the choice of a world without justice
or a future without mercy;
in your mercy, establish justice
and in your justice, remember your overflowing mercy
in Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

Eternal God,
you called Vedanayagam Samuel Azariah to proclaim your glory
in a life of prayer and pastoral zeal:
keep the leaders of your Church faithful
and bless your people through their ministry,
that the Church may grow into the full stature
of your Son Jesus Christ our Lord,

Awaiting his coming in glory,

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May the Christ who by becoming incarnate gathered into one
things earthly and heavenly,
bestow upon us the fullness of peace and goodwill. Amen.

_The Promise of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central

The intercession is from _New Patterns for Worship_, copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Samuel Azariah was born in 1874 in a small village in South India, his father,
Thomas Vedanayagam being a simple village priest and his mother Ellen
having a deep love and understanding of the Scriptures. Samuel became a
YMCA evangelist whilst still only nineteen, and secretary of the organisation
throughout South India a few years later. He saw that, for the Church in India
to grow and attract ordinary Indians to the Christian faith, it had to have an
indigenous leadership and reduce the strong western influences and almost
totally white leadership that pervaded it. He was ordained priest at the age of
thirty-five and bishop just three years later, his work moving from primary
evangelism to forwarding his desire for more Indian clergy and the need to
raise their educational standards. He was an avid ecumenist and was one of the
first to see the importance to mission of a united Church. He died on 1 January
1945, just two years before the creation of a united Church of South India.