OREMUS: 1 March 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 28 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, March 1, 2009
The First Sunday in Lent

Blessed are you, God, rich in mercy,
you so loved the world
that when we were dead in our sins,
Lifted up from the earth,
he is light and life;
exalted upon the cross,
he is truth and salvation.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 15

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Establish, O Christ, your kingdom in our hearts
and keep us untainted by this earthly life;
that in your Father's house we may be received
   into the eternal habitations;
where you are alive and reign,
now and for ever. Amen.
Psalm 92

It is a good thing to give thanks to the Lord,*
 and to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
To tell of your lovingkindness early in the morning*
 and of your faithfulness in the night season;
On the psaltery and on the lyre*
 and to the melody of the harp.
For you have made me glad by your acts, O Lord;*
 and I shout for joy because of the works of your hands.
Lord, how great are your works!*
 your thoughts are very deep.
The dullard does not know,
   nor does the fool understand,*
 that though the wicked grow like weeds,
   and all the workers of iniquity flourish,
They flourish only to be destroyed for ever;*
 but you, O Lord, are exalted for evermore.
For lo, your enemies, O Lord,
   lo, your enemies shall perish,*
 and all the workers of iniquity shall be scattered.
But my horn you have exalted
   like the horns of wild bulls;*
 I am anointed with fresh oil.
My eyes also gloat over my enemies,*
 and my ears rejoice to hear the doom of the wicked
   who rise up against me.
The righteous shall flourish like a palm tree,*
 and shall spread abroad like a cedar of Lebanon.
Those who are planted in the house of the Lord*
 shall flourish in the courts of our God;
They shall still bear fruit in old age;*
 they shall be green and succulent;
That they may show how upright the Lord is,*
 my rock, in whom there is no fault.

A Song of Humility (Hosea 6.16)

Come, let us return to the Lord
who has torn us and will heal us.
God has stricken us
and will bind up our wounds.
After two days, he will revive us,
and on the third day will raise us up,
that we may live in his presence.
Let us strive to know the Lord;
his appearing is as sure as the sunrise.
He will come to us like the showers,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
O Ephraim, how shall I deal with you?
How shall I deal with you, O Judah?
Your love for me is like the morning mist,
like the dew that goes early away.
Therefore, I have hewn them by the prophets,
and my judgement goes forth as the light.
For loyalty is my desire and not sacrifice,
and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.(

Psalm 117

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 2]:

My child, when you come to serve the Lord,
ÿÿÿprepare yourself for testing.
Set your heart right and be steadfast,
ÿÿÿand do not be impetuous in time of calamity.
Cling to him and do not depart,
ÿÿÿso that your last days may be prosperous.
Accept whatever befalls you,
ÿÿÿand in times of humiliation be patient.
For gold is tested in the fire,
ÿÿÿand those found acceptable, in the furnace of humiliation.
Trust in him, and he will help you;
ÿÿÿmake your ways straight, and hope in him.

You who fear the Lord, wait for his mercy;
ÿÿÿdo not stray, or else you may fall.
You who fear the Lord, trust in him,
ÿÿÿand your reward will not be lost.
You who fear the Lord, hope for good things,
ÿÿÿfor lasting joy and mercy.

Consider the generations of old and see:
ÿÿÿhas anyone trusted in the Lord and been disappointed?
Or has anyone persevered in the fear of the Lord and been forsaken?
ÿÿÿOr has anyone called upon him and been neglected?
For the Lord is compassionate and merciful;
ÿÿÿhe forgives sins and saves in time of distress.

Woe to timid hearts and to slack hands,
ÿÿÿand to the sinner who walks a double path!
Woe to the faint-hearted who have no trust!
ÿÿÿTherefore they will have no shelter.
Woe to you who have lost your nerve!
ÿÿÿWhat will you do when the Lord?s reckoning comes?

Those who fear the Lord do not disobey his words,
ÿÿÿand those who love him keep his ways.
Those who fear the Lord seek to please him,
ÿÿÿand those who love him are filled with his law.
Those who fear the Lord prepare their hearts,
ÿÿÿand humble themselves before him.
Let us fall into the hands of the Lord,
ÿÿÿbut not into the hands of mortals;
for equal to his majesty is his mercy,
ÿÿÿand equal to his name are his works.

HYMN
Words: William H Bathurst (1796-1877)
Tune: Cheshire

O Saviour, may we never rest
Till Thou art form'd within,
Till Thou hast calm'd our troubled breast,
And crush'd the power of sin.

O may we gaze upon Thy Cross,
Until the wondrous sight
Makes earthly treasures seem but dross,
And earthly sorrows light:

Until, released from carnal ties,
Our spirit upward springs,
And sees true peace above the skies,
True joy in heavenly things.

There as we gaze, may we become
United, Lord, to Thee,
And, in a fairer, happier home,
Thy perfect beauty see.

SECOND READING [Matthew 6:1-18]:

For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me.

So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin.

The kingdom of God is close at hand. In this season of Lent, let us bring our prayers to the Lord, the king of all creation.

We pray for all agencies that bring relief and help to those who live in poverty. Even as we struggle in this challenged economy, may we be generous in our response to their need.

We pray for the people of Zimbabwe in the face of the cholera epidemic in that land: that those who have died may rest in peace, and that those who survive may receive aid for their recovery.

We pray for all parents who have lost children: may they be sustained and comforted by the knowledge of God?s love.

We pray for all those who care for children and adults with disabilities; for families and for health workers: may they be given the support that they need.

We pray for the people of Wales, as they celebrate their patron saint: may the prayers of St David be always with them.

Heavenly Father, creator and sustainer of the world, and giver of all good gifts, we ask you to hear the prayers that we make through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of the new and eternal covenant,
as the forty days of the great flood
swept away the world's corruption
and watered new beginnings of righteousness and life:
grant to us, who are washed clean and born again
in the saving flood of baptism, the wellspring of your grace,
that your gift of new life may flourish once again;
through Jesus Christ our Redeemer,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.

May God give us
his comfort and his peace,
his light and his joy,
in this world and the next. Amen.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995, The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

The petitions are gathered by Redemptorist Publications and are published each Friday on their website: http://www.rpbooks.co.uk/page.php?page=prayers