OREMUS: 26 February 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Feb 25 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Thursday, February 26, 2009

Blessed are you, eternal God,
creator and ruler of the universe.
You are our God,
and we are the creatures of your hand.
You made us from the dust of the earth,
breathed into us the breath of life,
and set us in your world to love and serve you.
When we rejected your love
and ignored your wisdom.
you did not reject us.
You loved us still
and call us again and again to turn to you
in obedience and in love.

http://www.oremus.org/lentocan.html

Psalm 27

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.
What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of Repentance (1 John 1. 59)

This is the message we have heard from Christ
and proclaim to you:
that God is light,
in whom there is no darkness at all.
If we say that we have fellowship with God
while we walk in darkness,
we lie and do not do what is true.
But if we walk in the light
as God is in the light,
we have fellowship with one another.
And the blood of Jesus, the Son of God,
cleanses us from all our sins.
If we say that we have no sin,
we deceive ourselves
and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins,
the One who is faithful and just will forgive us
and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [Genesis 19:1-3, 12-17, 24-28]:

The two angels came to Sodom in the evening, and Lot was sitting in the gateway of Sodom. When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them, and bowed down with his face to the ground. He said, ?Please, my lords, turn aside to your servant?s house and spend the night, and wash your feet; then you can rise early and go on your way.? They said, ?No; we will spend the night in the square.? But he urged them strongly; so they turned aside to him and entered his house; and he made them a feast, and baked unleavened bread, and they ate.

Then the men said to Lot, ?Have you anyone else here? Sons-in-law, sons, daughters, or anyone you have in the city?bring them out of the place. For we are about to destroy this place, because the outcry against its people has become great before the Lord, and the Lord has sent us to destroy it.? So Lot went out and said to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, ?Up, get out of this place; for the Lord is about to destroy the city.? But he seemed to his sons-in-law to be jesting.

When morning dawned, the angels urged Lot, saying, ?Get up, take your wife and your two daughters who are here, or else you will be consumed in the punishment of the city.? But he lingered; so the men seized him and his wife and his two daughters by the hand, the Lord being merciful to him, and they brought him out and left him outside the city. When they had brought them outside, they said, ?Flee for your life; do not look back or stop anywhere in the Plain; flee to the hills, or else you will be consumed.?

Then the Lord rained on Sodom and Gomorrah sulphur and fire from the Lord out of heaven; and he overthrew those cities, and all the Plain, and all the inhabitants of the cities, and what grew on the ground. But Lot?s wife, behind him, looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.

Abraham went early in the morning to the place where he had stood before the Lord; and he looked down towards Sodom and Gomorrah and towards all the land of the Plain, and saw the smoke of the land going up like the smoke of a furnace.

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788)
Meter: 66 66 88 (Suggested: Croft?s 136th, Darwall?s 148th, Christchurch, Old 136th)

Ye ransomed souls draw near
The throne of Christ, your Lord,
And wait till He appear
According to His word;
Rejoice in hope, rejoice with me;
We shall from all our sins be free.

In God we put our trust:
If we our sins confess,
Faithful is He, and just
>From all unrighteousness
To cleanse us all, that gladly we
May soon from all our sins be free.

The word of God is sure,
And never can remove;
We shall in heart be pure,
And perfected in love.
Rejoice in hope, and claim with me
That Christ from all our sins sets free.

Then let us gladly bring
Our sacrifice of praise,
Let us give thanks and sing,
And glory in His grace;
Rejoice in hope, rejoice with me;
We now from all our sins are free.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 1:1-17]:

Paul, called to be an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and our brother Sosthenes,

To the church of God that is in Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, together with all those who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, both their Lord and ours:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind? just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you? so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

Now I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you should be in agreement and that there should be no divisions among you, but that you should be united in the same mind and the same purpose. For it has been reported to me by Chloe?s people that there are quarrels among you, my brothers and sisters. What I mean is that each of you says, ?I belong to Paul?, or ?I belong to Apollos?, or ?I belong to Cephas?, or ?I belong to Christ.? Has Christ been divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, so that no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (I did baptize also the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize but to proclaim the gospel, and not with eloquent wisdom, so that the cross of Christ might not be emptied of its power.

Lord, open a path for your Word
To declare the mystery of Christ.

Turn now, O God of hosts;
Behold and tend the vine you have planted.

May your people rejoice and sing,
And your ministers be clothed with salvation.

May they stand and feed your flock
In the strength of your name.

Keep from trouble all those who trust in you
And forget not the poor for ever.

Have mercy, O Lord, upon us,
As we have put our hope in you.

Inspire our actions, Lord,
sustain them and grant them success;
so that in you may be found
the beginning and the end
of everything we undertake.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

May the God of peace
make us holy in every way
and keep our whole being--
spirit, soul, and body--
free from every fault
at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster / John Knox Press. The closing sentence is 1 Thessalonians 5:23, adapted.

The collect is (c) Alan Griffiths.