OREMUS: 22 February 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Feb 21 22:40:04 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, February 22, 2009
The Last Sunday after Epiphany

Blessed are you, God of majesty,
you brought light out of darkness
and set the sun to brighten the day.
We thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ, our Lord,
whose human body was transfigured on a lonely mountain.
In his face, we have glimpsed your glory.
In his life, we see your love.
You lead us by the light of your truth
into the way of righteousness and peace.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and lovingkindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.

Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of Divine Love (1 Corinthians 13.413)

Love is patient and kind,
love is not jealous or boastful,
it is not arrogant or rude.
Love does not insist on its own way,
it is not angry or resentful.
It does not rejoice in wrongdoing
but rejoices in the truth.
Love bears all things and believes all things;
love hopes all things and endures all things.
Love will never come to an end,
but prophecy will vanish,
tongues cease and knowledge pass away.
Now we know only in part
and we prophesy only in part,
But when the perfect comes,
the partial shall pass away.
When I was a child, I spoke like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
But when I became mature,
I put an end to childish ways.
For now we see only puzzling reflections in a mirror,
but then we will see face to face.
Now I know only in part;
then I shall know fully,
even as I have been fully known.
There are three things that last for ever,
faith, hope and love,
but the greatest of these is love.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [Wisdom 7:7-14]:

Therefore I prayed, and understanding was given me;
I called on God, and the spirit of wisdom came to me.
I preferred her to sceptres and thrones,
and I accounted wealth as nothing in comparison with her.
Neither did I liken to her any priceless gem,
because all gold is but a little sand in her sight,
and silver will be accounted as clay before her.
I loved her more than health and beauty,
and I chose to have her rather than light,
because her radiance never ceases.
All good things came to me along with her,
and in her hands uncounted wealth.
I rejoiced in them all, because wisdom leads them;
but I did not know that she was their mother.
I learned without guile and I impart without grudging;
I do not hide her wealth,
for it is an unfailing treasure for mortals;
those who get it obtain friendship with God,
commended for the gifts that come from instruction.

HYMN
Words: Anonymous
Tune: Chapel Royal (886 D)

Spirit of wisdom, turn our eyes
>From earth and earthly vanities
To heavenly truth and love;
Spirit of understanding true,
Our souls with heavenly light endue
To seek the things above.

Spirit of counsel, be our guide;
Teach us, by earthly struggles tried,
Our heavenly crown to win;
Spirit of fortitude, thy power
Be with us in temptation's hour,
To keep us pure from sin.

Spirit of knowledge, lead our feet
In thine own paths, so safe and sweet,
By angel footsteps trod;
Where thou our guardian true shalt be,
Spirit of gentle piety,
To keep us close to God.

Through all our life be ever near,
Spirit of God's most holy fear,
In our heart's inmost shrine;
Our souls with aweful reverence fill,
To worship his most holy will,
All-righteous and divine.

So lead us, Lord, through peace or strife,
Onward to everlasting life,
To win our high reward:
So may we fight our lifelong fight,
Strong in thine own unearthly might,
And reign with Christ our Lord.

SECOND READING [John 15:1-17]:

Jesus said, ‘I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine-grower. He removes every branch in me that bears no fruit. Every branch that bears fruit he prunes to make it bear more fruit. You have already been cleansed by the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me as I abide in you. Just as the branch cannot bear fruit by itself unless it abides in the vine, neither can you unless you abide in me. I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. Whoever does not abide in me is thrown away like a branch and withers; such branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask for whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. My Father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. I have said these things to you so that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be complete.

‘This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. I do not call you servants any longer, because the servant does not know what the master is doing; but I have called you friends, because I have made known to you everything that I have heard from my Father. You did not choose me but I chose you. And I appointed you to go and bear fruit, fruit that will last, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask him in my name. I am giving you these commands so that you may love one another.

Let us bring our concerns before the Lord who hears our prayers.

We pray, on this national day of mourning in Australia, for all who have been affected by the recent bush fires: that the bereaved would be comforted and that those who have lost their homes would receive the support they need to rebuild their lives.

We pray for the current situation in Madagascar: that there would be a peaceful solution to the problems there and that order would be restored without any further loss of life.

We pray for all those who have lost their jobs in the current recession: that they would receive help and support and that, even as they face an uncertain future, they would know the peace of God.

We pray for all world leaders at this difficult time: that they would have wisdom in dealing with the current economic crisis.

We pray for teachers and all those employed in educating, and caring for, children: that they would find renewed strength and enthusiasm as they do this important work.

Heavenly Father, we pray these things through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

O God, glorious and faithful,
 to those who seek you with a sincere heart
you reveal the beauty of your face:
Strengthen us in faith to embrace the mystery of the cross,
and open our hearts to its transfiguring power;
that, clinging in love to your will for us,
we may walk the path of discipleship
as followers of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord,
one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Transform us into the likeness of Jesus Christ,
that we may live for you, as he lived,
and love others, as he loved them. Amen.

prayers in _Book of Common Worship_, (c) 1993 Westminster
/ John Knox Press.