OREMUS: 6 February 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Feb 5 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Friday, February 6, 2009

Blessed are you, O God of all the prophets,
you knew us and chose us
before you formed us in the womb.
You fill us with faith that speaks your word,
hope that does not disappoint,
and love that bears all things for your sake,
until that day when we shall know you fully,
even as we are known by you.

We give you thanks, O God, we give you thanks,*
 calling upon your name
   and declaring all your wonderful deeds.
'I will appoint a time,' says God;*
 'I will judge with equity.
'Though the earth and all its inhabitants are quaking,*
 I will make its pillars fast.
'I will say to the boasters, "Boast no more",*
 and to the wicked, "Do not toss your horns;
'"Do not toss your horns so high,*
 nor speak with a proud neck."'
For judgement is neither from the east
   nor from the west,*
 nor yet from the wilderness or the mountains.
It is God who judges;*
 he puts down one and lifts up another.
For in the Lord's hand there is a cup,
   full of spiced and foaming wine, which he pours out,*
 and all the wicked of the earth
   shall drink and drain the dregs.
But I will rejoice for ever;*
 I will sing praises to the God of Jacob.
He shall break off all the horns of the wicked;*
 but the horns of the righteous shall be exalted.

Psalm 76

In Judah is God known;*
 his name is great in Israel.
At Salem is his tabernacle,*
 and his dwelling is in Zion.
There he broke the flashing arrows,*
 the shield, the sword and the weapons of battle.
How glorious you are!*
 more splendid than the everlasting mountains!
The strong of heart have been despoiled;
   they sink into sleep;*
 none of the warriors can lift a hand.
At your rebuke, O God of Jacob,*
 both horse and rider lie stunned.
What terror you inspire!*
 who can stand before you when you are angry?
>From heaven you pronounced judgement;*
 the earth was afraid and was still;
When God rose up to judgement*
 and to save all the oppressed of the earth.
Truly, wrathful Edom will give you thanks,*
 and the remnant of Hamath will keep your feasts.
Make a vow to the Lord your God and keep it;*
 let all around him bring gifts
   to him who is worthy to be feared.
He breaks the spirit of princes,*
 and strikes terror in the kings of the earth.

A Song of the Word of the Lord (Isaiah 55.611)

Seek the Lord while he may be found,
call upon him while he is near;
Let the wicked abandon their ways,
and the unrighteous their thoughts;
Return to the Lord, who will have mercy;
to our God, who will richly pardon.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,( says the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.
As the rain and the snow come down from above,
and return not again but water the earth,
Bringing forth life and giving growth,
seed for sowing and bread to eat,
So is my word that goes forth from my mouth;
it will not return to me fruitless,
But it will accomplish that which I purpose,
and succeed in the task I gave it.(

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Proverbs 24:23-end]:

These also are sayings of the wise:

Partiality in judging is not good.
Whoever says to the wicked, ‘You are innocent’,
   will be cursed by peoples, abhorred by nations;
but those who rebuke the wicked will have delight,
   and a good blessing will come upon them.
One who gives an honest answer
   gives a kiss on the lips.

Prepare your work outside,
   get everything ready for you in the field;
   and after that build your house.

Do not be a witness against your neighbour without cause,
   and do not deceive with your lips.
Do not say, ‘I will do to others as they have done to me;
   I will pay them back for what they have done.’

I passed by the field of one who was lazy,
   by the vineyard of a stupid person;
and see, it was all overgrown with thorns;
   the ground was covered with nettles,
   and its stone wall was broken down.
Then I saw and considered it;
   I looked and received instruction.
A little sleep, a little slumber,
   a little folding of the hands to rest,
and poverty will come upon you like a robber,
   and want, like an armed warrior.

HYMN
Words: Mary Dagworthy James (1810-1883)
Tune: Constancy

All for Jesus! all for Jesus!
All my being's ransomed pow'rs:
All my thoughts and words and doings,
all my days and all my hours.
All for Jesus, all for Jesus!
All my days and all my hours;
all for Jesus, all for Jesus!
All my days and all my hours.

Let my hands perform His bidding,
let my feet run in His ways.
Let my eyes see Jesus only,
let my lips speak forth His praise.
All for Jesus, all for Jesus!
Let my lips speak forth His praise;
all for Jesus, all for Jesus!
Let my lips speak forth His praise.

Since my eyes were fixed on Jesus,
I've lost sight of all beside,
so enchained my spirit's vision,
looking at the Crucified.
All for Jesus, all for Jesus!
Looking at the Crucified;
all for Jesus, all for Jesus!
Looking at the Crucified.

O what wonder! How amazing!
Jesus, glorious King of kings,
wants to call me His beloved,
lets me rest beneath His wings.
All for Jesus, all for Jesus!
Resting now beneath His wings;
all for Jesus, all for Jesus!
Resting now beneath His wings.

SECOND READING [Colossians 3:12-17]:

As God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience. Bear with one another and, if anyone has a complaint against another, forgive each other; just as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in the one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly; teach and admonish one another in all wisdom; and with gratitude in your hearts sing psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Beginning and End of all things,
we bless you for the present that is ever yielding

to your new heaven and new earth.

For all the means of grace,
we praise you, O Lord.

For every prompting of your Spirit
we praise you, O Lord.

We yield our cares to your unceasing mercy:
Attend the sick and the suffering,
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Touch the dying:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Claim the newborn:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shelter the homeless:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Sing in the fearful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Chasten the arrogant and powerful:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Lift up the lowly:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Center the Church:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Grant peace to Jerusalem and every people:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Shape our lives by the mystery
of Christ crucified, risen and interceding for us:
In your mercy, Lord, hear us.

Loving God, our Father,
you gave your Son Jesus
to be knitted and fastened to our souls
by good will and a great desire for him:
Grant us that Spirit
which opens the eyes of our mind
to that spiritual knowledge of you.
We ask this through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Open our imaginations to new dimensions of your love,
and heal us of all that severs us from you and one another;

The collect is by Stephen Benner, 2003, based on a passage from The Scale of Perfection by Walter Hilton, 14th century. The intercession is reprinted from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.