OREMUS: 1 January 2010

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 31 22:25:47 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Friday, January 1, 2010
The Naming and Circumcision of Our Lord Jesus Christ

Blessed are you, O God, the almighty Father,
for your placing us into a world of space and time,
and through the events of our lives
you bless us with your love.
Shed forth the glory of your  presence
that we may see your love at work
and live in the light of the event
that gives us joy forever:
the coming of your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 1

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 2

Why are the nations in an uproar?*
 Why do the peoples mutter empty threats?
Why do the kings of the earth rise up in revolt
   and the princes plot together,*
 against the Lord and against his anointed?
'Let us break their yoke', they say;*
 'let us cast off their bonds from us.'
He whose throne is in heaven is laughing;*
 the Lord has them in derision.
Then he speaks to them in his wrath*
 and his rage fills them with terror.
'I myself have set my king*
 upon my holy hill of Zion.'
Let me announce the decree of the Lord:*
 he said to me, 'You are my Son;
   this day have I begotten you.
'Ask of me and I will give you the nations for
   your inheritance*
 and the ends of the earth for your possession.
'You shall crush them with an iron rod*
 and shatter them like a piece of pottery.'
And now, you kings, be wise;*
 be warned, you rulers of the earth.
Submit to the Lord with fear,*
 and with trembling bow before him;
Lest he be angry and you perish;*
 for his wrath is quickly kindled.
Happy are they all*
 who take refuge in him!

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

Psalm 4

Answer me when I call, O God, defender of my cause;*
 you set me free when I am hardpressed;
   have mercy on me and hear my prayer.
'You mortals, how long will you dishonour my glory;*
 how long will you worship dumb idols
   and run after false gods?'
Know that the Lord does wonders for the faithful;*
 when I call upon the Lord, he will hear me.
Tremble, then, and do not sin;*
 speak to your heart in silence upon your bed.
Offer the appointed sacrifices*
 and put your trust in the Lord.
Many are saying,
'O that we might see better times!'*
 Lift up the light of your countenance upon us, O Lord.
You have put gladness in my heart,*
 more than when grain and wine and oil increase.
I lie down in peace; at once I fall asleep;*
 for only you, Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Psalm 5

Give ear to my words, O Lord;*
 consider my meditation.
Hearken to my cry for help, my King and my God,*
 for I make my prayer to you.
In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;*
 early in the morning I make my appeal
   and watch for you.
For you are not a God who takes pleasure in wickedness*
 and evil cannot dwell with you.
Braggarts cannot stand in your sight;*
 you hate all those who work wickedness.
You destroy those who speak lies;*
 the bloodthirsty and deceitful, O Lord, you abhor.
But as for me, through the greatness of your mercy,
   I will go into your house;*
 I will bow down towards your holy temple in awe of you.
Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness,
   because of those who lie in wait for me;*
 make your way straight before me.
For there is no truth in their mouth;*
 there is destruction in their heart;
Their throat is an open grave;*
 they flatter with their tongue.
Declare them guilty, O God;*
 let them fall, because of their schemes.
Because of their many transgressions cast them out,*
 for they have rebelled against you.
But all who take refuge in you will be glad;*
 they will sing out their joy for ever.
You will shelter them,*
 so that those who love your name may exult in you.
For you, O Lord, will bless the righteous;*
 you will defend them with your favour as with a shield.

FIRST READING [Deuteronomy 30:1-10]:

When all these things have happened to you, the blessings and the curses that I have
set before you, if you call them to mind among all the nations where the Lord your
God has driven you, and return to the Lord your God, and you and your children obey
him with all your heart and with all your soul, just as I am commanding you today,
then the Lord your God will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you,
gathering you again from all the peoples among whom the Lord your God has
scattered you. Even if you are exiled to the ends of the world, from there the Lord
your God will gather you, and from there he will bring you back. The Lord your God
will bring you into the land that your ancestors possessed, and you will possess it; he
will make you more prosperous and numerous than your ancestors.

Moreover, the Lord your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your
descendants, so that you will love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all
your soul, in order that you may live. The Lord your God will put all these curses on
your enemies and on the adversaries who took advantage of you. Then you shall again
obey the Lord, observing all his commandments that I am commanding you today, and
the Lord your God will make you abundantly prosperous in all your undertakings, in
the fruit of your body, in the fruit of your livestock, and in the fruit of your soil. For
the Lord will again take delight in prospering you, just as he delighted in prospering
your ancestors, when you obey the Lord your God by observing his commandments
and decrees that are written in this book of the law, because you turn to the Lord your
God with all your heart and with all your soul.

HYMN
Words: Meaux Breviary, 1713; trans. Francis Pott, 1861
Tune: Tallis' Ordinal

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/t/t410.html

The year is gone, beyond recall,
with all its hopes and fears,
with all its bright and gladdening smiles,
with all its mourners' tears.

Thy thankful people praise thee, Lord,
for countless gifts received;
and pray for grace to keep the faith
which saints of old believed.

To thee we come, O gracious Lord,
the newborn year to bless;
defend our land from pestilence,
give peace and plenteousness.

Forgive this nation's many sins,
the growth of vice restrain;
and help us all with sin to strive,
and crowns of life to gain.

>From evil deeds that stain the past
we now desire to flee;
and pray that future years may all
be spent, good Lord, for thee.

O Father, let thy watchful eye
still look on us in love,
that we may praise thee, year by year,
with angel hosts above.

All glory to the Father be,
all glory to the Son,
all glory, Holy Ghost, to thee,
while endless ages run.

SECOND READING [Revelation 19:11-16]:

Then I saw heaven opened, and there was a white horse! Its rider is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems; and he has a name inscribed that no one knows but himself. He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies of heaven, wearing fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses. From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron; he will tread the wine press of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name inscribed, ‘King of kings and Lord of lords’.

In a world of change and hope,
of fear and adventure,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In human rebellion and obedience,
in our seeking and our finding,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In the common life of our society,
in prosperity and need,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

As your Church proclaims your goodness,
in words and action,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Among our friends,
and in our homes,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our times of joy,
in our days of sorrow,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In our strengths and triumphs,
in our weakness and at our death,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

In your saints in glory
and on the day of Christ's coming,
faithful God,
glorify your Name.

Eternal Father,
you gave to your incarnate Son
the holy name of Jesus
to be the sign of our salvation
Plant in every heart, we pray,
the love of him who is the Savior of the world,
our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, in glory everlasting. Amen.

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May God keep us in all our days.
May Christ shield us in all our ways.
May the Spirit brings us healing and peace.
May God the Holy Trinity drive all darkness from us
and pour upon us blessing and light. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from _Chalice
Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercession and the closing sentence are adapted from _The Promise
of His Glory_ (Mowbray), (c) The Central Board of Finance  of the
Church of England 1990, 1991, which is used with permission.

of The Episcopal Church_.