OREMUS: 27 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 26 17:00:00 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Sunday, December 27, 2009
Saint John the Apostle and Evangelist

Blessed are you, O God, the giver of the Word,
which your beloved apostle John
proclaimed to the world
through his words and actions.
Just as John was transformed
from fisherman to disciple
may be we be transformed
through the grace of your Word
to proclaim in all that we do and say.
Blessed be God forever!

An opening canticle may be sung.

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 126

When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion,*
 then were we like those who dream.
Then was our mouth filled with laughter,*
 and our tongue with shouts of joy.
Then they said among the nations,*
 'The Lord has done great things for them.'
The Lord has done great things for us,*
 and we are glad indeed.
Restore our fortunes, O Lord,*
 like the watercourses of the Negev.
Those who sowed with tears*
 will reap with songs of joy.
Those who go out weeping, carrying the seed,*
 will come again with joy, shouldering their sheaves.

Psalm 127

Unless the Lord builds the house,*
 their labour is in vain who build it.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,*
 in vain the guard keeps vigil.
It is in vain that you rise so early
   and go to bed so late;*
 vain, too, to eat the bread of toil,
   for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Children are a heritage from the Lord,*
 and the fruit of the womb is a gift.
Like arrows in the hand of a warrior*
 are the children of one's youth.
Happy are they who have their quiver full of them!*
 they shall not be put to shame
   when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

Psalm 128

Happy are they all who fear the Lord,*
 and who follow in his ways!
You shall eat the fruit of your labour;*
 happiness and prosperity shall be yours.
Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
   within your house,*
 your children like olive shoots round about your table.
Whoever fears the Lord*
 shall thus indeed be blessed.
The Lord bless you from Zion,*
 and may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem
   all the days of your life.
May you live to see your children's children;*
 may peace be upon Israel.

Psalm 129

'Greatly have they oppressed me since my youth',*
 let Israel now say;
'Greatly have they oppressed me since my youth,*
 but they have not prevailed against me.'
Those who plow ploughed upon my back*
 and made their furrows long.
The Lord, the Righteous One,*
 has cut the cords of the wicked.
Let them be put to shame and thrown back,*
 all those who are enemies of Zion.
Let them be like grass upon the housetops,*
 which withers before it can be plucked;
Which does not fill the hand of the reaper,*
 nor the bosom of him who binds the sheaves;
So that those who go by say not so much as,
   'The Lord prosper you.*
 We wish you well in the name of the Lord.'

Psalm 130

Out of the depths have I called to you, O Lord;
   Lord, hear my voice;*
 let your ears consider well the voice of my supplication.
If you, Lord, were to note what is done amiss,*
 O Lord, who could stand?
For there is forgiveness with you;*
 therefore you shall be feared.
I wait for the Lord; my soul waits for him;*
 in his word is my hope.
My soul waits for the Lord,
   more than the nightwatch for the morning,*
 more than the nightwatch for the morning.
O Israel, wait for the Lord,*
 for with the Lord there is mercy;
With him there is plenteous redemption,*
 and he shall redeem Israel from all their sins.

Psalm 131

O Lord, I am not proud;*
 I have no haughty looks.
I do not occupy myself with great matters,*
 or with things that are too hard for me.
But I still my soul and make it quiet,
   like a child upon its mother's breast;*
 my soul is quieted within me.
O Israel, wait upon the Lord,*
 from this time forth for evermore.

FIRST READING [Exodus 33:12-end]:

Moses said to the Lord, 'See, you have said to me, "Bring up this people"; but you
have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, "I know you
by name, and you have also found favour in my sight." Now if I have found favour in
your sight, show me your ways, so that I may know you and find favour in your sight.
Consider too that this nation is your people.' He said, 'My presence will go with you,
and I will give you rest.' And he said to him, 'If your presence will not go, do not
carry us up from here. For how shall it be known that I have found favour in your
sight, I and your people, unless you go with us? In this way, we shall be distinct, I and
your people, from every people on the face of the earth.'

The Lord said to Moses, 'I will do the very thing that you have asked; for you have
found favour in my sight, and I know you by name.' Moses said, 'Show me your
glory, I pray.' And he said, 'I will make all my goodness pass before you, and will
proclaim before you the name, "The Lord"; and I will be gracious to whom I will be
gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. But', he said, 'you cannot
see my face; for no one shall see me and live.' And the Lord continued, 'See, there is a
place by me where you shall stand on the rock; and while my glory passes by I will put
you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by;
then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back; but my face shall not be
seen.'

HYMN
Words: John Keble, 1857
Tune: Grafton, St. Thomas (Webbe)

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/w/w576.html

Word supreme, before creation
born of God eternally,
who didst will for our salvation
to be born on earth, and die;
well thy saints have kept their station,
watching till thine hour is nigh.

Now 'tis come and faith espies thee;
like an eaglet in the morn,
one in steadfast worship eyes thee;
thy beloved, thy latest born;
in thy glory he descries thee
reigning from the tree of scorn.

He first hoping and believing
did beside the grave adore;
latest he, the warfare leaving,
landed on the eternal shore;
and his witness we receiving
own thee Lord forevermore.

Much he asked in loving wonder,
on thy bosom leaning, Lord!
in that secret place of thunder,
answer kind didst thou accord,
wisdom for thy church to ponder
till the day of dread award.

Lo! heaven's doors lift up, revealing
how thy judgments earthward move;
scrolls unfolded, trumpets pealing,
wine-cups from the wrath above,
yet o'er all a soft voice stealing
"Little children, trust and love!"

Thee, the Almighty King eternal,
Father of the eternal word;
thee, the Father's Word supernal,
thee, of both, the Breath adored;
heaven, and earth, and realms infernal
own, one glorious God and Lord.

SECOND READING [Revelation 1]:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place; he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.

Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the prophecy, and blessed are those who hear and who keep what is written in it; for the time is near.

John to the seven churches that are in Asia:

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Look! He is coming with the clouds;
   every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail.
So it is to be. Amen.

‘I am the Alpha and the Omega’, says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.

 I, John, your brother who share with you in Jesus the persecution and the kingdom and the patient endurance, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet saying, ‘Write in a book what you see and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamum, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.’

Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. His head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining with full force.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive for ever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this. As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

All the ends of the earth
have seen the salvation of our God. Alleluia!
Shout to the Lord, all the earth. Alleluia!

O Christ,
splendor of God's eternal glory,
sustaining the universe by your mighty Word,
renew our lives by your presence.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
born into the world in the fullness of time
for the liberation of all creation,
let all, especially those persecuted for their faith,
come to their rightful freedom.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
begotten of the Father before all time,
born in the stable at Bethlehem,
may your Church be a sign of hope and joy.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
truly God and truly human,
born to a people in fulfillment of their expectations,
fulfill our desires in you.
Lord, have mercy.

O Christ,
born of the Virgin Mary,
child of wonder and splendor,
mighty God of all ages,
Prince of peace,
may the whole world live in peace and justice.
Lord, have mercy.

Shed upon your Church, O Lord,
the brightness of your light,
so that we, illumined by the teaching
of John the evangelist,
may walk in the light of your truth,
and be brought to the fullness of eternal life;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

The Word has become flesh and dwelt among us.
May Christ's light shine in the darkest corners of our lives
and his love shine in the darkest corners of our world.
God is with us. Alleluia. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is &copy 2000, Stephen T. Benner.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The intercessions are from _Daily Prayer_. (c)1987 The
Westminster Press.

The collect is from _A Prayer Book for Australia_. (c) 1995,
The Anglican Church of Australia Trust Corporation.

John, son of Zebedee, was one of the twelve apostles of Our Lord. Together
with his brother James and with Simon Peter, he formed a kind of inner circle
of Three among the Twelve, in that those three were privileged to behold the
miracle of the Great Catch of Fish, the healing of Peter's mother-in-law, the
raising of the daughter of Jairus, the Transfiguration, and the Agony in
Gethsemane. He expressed a willingness to undergo martyrdom-- as did the
other apostles-- and is accordingly called a martyr in intention. However, we
have ancient testimony that, although imprisoned and exiled for his testimony
to the Gospel, he was eventually released and died a natural death in Ephesus:
"a martyr in will but not in deed."
John is credited with the authorship of three epistles and one Gospel, although
many scholars believe that the final editing of the Gospel was done by others
shortly after his death. He is also supposed by many to be the author of the
book of Revelation, also called the Apocalypse, although this identification is
less certain.