OREMUS: 26 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Fri Dec 25 17:00:00 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Saturday, December 26, 2009
Stephen, Deacon, First Martyr

you look upon us in mercy not in judgment;
you draw us from hatred to love;
you make the frailty of our praise
a dwelling place for your glory.
We thank you for the signs of your mercy
revealed in birth and death:
save us by the coming of your Son,
and give us joy in honoring Stephen,
first martyr of the new Israel;

http://www.oremus.org/chrocant.html

Psalm 119:145-176

I call with my whole heart;*
 answer me, O Lord, that I may keep your statutes.
I call to you; O that you would save me!*
 I will keep your decrees.
Early in the morning I cry out to you,*
 for in your word is my trust.
My eyes are open in the night watches,*
 that I may meditate upon your promise.
Hear my voice, O Lord,
   according to your lovingkindness;*
 according to your judgements, give me life.
They draw near who in malice persecute me;*
 they are very far from your law.
You, O Lord, are near at hand,*
 and all your commandments are true.
Long have I known from your decrees*
 that you have established them for ever.

Behold my affliction and deliver me,*
 for I do not forget your law.
Plead my cause and redeem me;*
 according to your promise, give me life.
Deliverance is far from the wicked,*
 for they do not study your statutes.
Great is your compassion, O Lord;*
 preserve my life, according to your judgements.
There are many who persecute and oppress me,*
 yet I have not swerved from your decrees.
I look with loathing at the faithless,*
 for they have not kept your word.
See how I love your commandments!*
 O Lord, in your mercy, preserve me.
The heart of your word is truth;*
 all your righteous judgements endure for evermore.

Rulers have persecuted me without a cause,*
 but my heart stands in awe of your word.
I am as glad because of your promise*
 as one who finds great spoils.
As for lies, I hate and abhor them,*
 but your law is my love.
Seven times a day do I praise you,*
 because of your righteous judgements.
Great peace have they who love your law;*
 for them there is no stumbling block.
I have hoped for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and I have fulfilled your commandments.
I have kept your decrees*
 and I have loved them deeply.
I have kept your commandments and decrees,*
 for all my ways are before you.
Let my cry come before you, O Lord;*
 give me understanding, according to your word.
Let my supplication come before you;*
 deliver me, according to your promise.
My lips shall pour forth your praise,*
 when you teach me your statutes.
My tongue shall sing of your promise,*
 for all your commandments are righteous.
Let your hand be ready to help me,*
 for I have chosen your commandments.
I long for your salvation, O Lord,*
 and your law is my delight.
Let me live and I will praise you,*
 and let your judgements help me.
I have gone astray like a sheep that is lost;*
 search for your servant,
   for I do not forget your commandments.

FIRST READING [2 Chronicles 24:17-22]:

Now after the death of Jehoiada the officials of Judah came and did obeisance to the
king; then the king listened to them. They abandoned the house of the Lord, the God
of their ancestors, and served the sacred poles and the idols. And wrath came upon
Judah and Jerusalem for this guilt of theirs. Yet he sent prophets among them to bring
them back to the Lord; they testified against them, but they would not listen.

Then the spirit of God took possession of Zechariah son of the priest Jehoiada; he
stood above the people and said to them, 'Thus says God: Why do you transgress the
commandments of the Lord, so that you cannot prosper? Because you have forsaken
the Lord, he has also forsaken you.' But they conspired against him, and by command
of the king they stoned him to death in the court of the house of the Lord. King Joash
did not remember the kindness that Jehoiada, Zechariah's father, had shown him, but
killed his son. As he was dying, he said, 'May the Lord see and avenge!'

HYMN
Words: Latin; trans. John Mason Neale, 1852
Tune: St. Thomas

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/s/s009.html

Saint of God, elect and precious,
protomartyr Stephen, bright
with thy love of amplest measure,
shining round thee like a light;
who to God commendest, dying,
them that did thee all despite.

Glitters now the crown above thee,
figured in thy honored name:
O that we, who truly love thee,
may have portion in the same;
Ii the dreadful day of judgment
fearing neither sin nor shame.

Laud to God, and might, and honor,
who with flowers of rosy dye
crowned thy forehead, and hath placed thee
in the starry throne on high:
he direct us, he protect us,
from death's sting eternally.

SECOND READING [Acts 6; 7:59-8:8]:

Now during those days, when the disciples were increasing in number, the Hellenists
complained against the Hebrews because their widows were being neglected in the
daily distribution of food. And the twelve called together the whole community of the
disciples and said, 'It is not right that we should neglect the word of God in order to
wait at tables. Therefore, friends, select from among yourselves seven men of good
standing, full of the Spirit and of wisdom, whom we may appoint to this task, while
we, for our part, will devote ourselves to prayer and to serving the word.' What they
said pleased the whole community, and they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the
Holy Spirit, together with Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus,
a proselyte of Antioch. They had these men stand before the apostles, who prayed and
laid their hands on them.

The word of God continued to spread; the number of the disciples increased greatly in
Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.

Stephen, full of grace and power, did great wonders and signs among the people. Then
some of those who belonged to the synagogue of the Freedmen (as it was called),
Cyrenians, Alexandrians, and others of those from Cilicia and Asia, stood up and
argued with Stephen. But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with
which he spoke. Then they secretly instigated some men to say, 'We have heard him
speak blasphemous words against Moses and God.' They stirred up the people as well
as the elders and the scribes; then they suddenly confronted him, seized him, and
brought him before the council. They set up false witnesses who said, 'This man never
stops saying things against this holy place and the law; for we have heard him say that
this Jesus of Nazareth will destroy this place and will change the customs that Moses
handed on to us.' And all who sat in the council looked intently at him, and they saw
that his face was like the face of an angel. While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed,
'Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.' Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice,
'Lord, do not hold this sin against them.' When he had said this, he died. And Saul
approved of their killing him.

That day a severe persecution began against the church in Jerusalem, and all except the
apostles were scattered throughout the countryside of Judea and Samaria. Devout men
buried Stephen and made loud lamentation over him. But Saul was ravaging the
church by entering house after house; dragging off both men and women, he
committed them to prison.

Now those who were scattered went from place to place, proclaiming the word. Philip
went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed the Messiah to them. The crowds
with one accord listened eagerly to what was said by Philip, hearing and seeing the
signs that he did, for unclean spirits, crying with loud shrieks, came out of many who
were possessed; and many others who were paralysed or lame were cured. So there
was great joy in that city.

O God,
you came down to earth
bringing down eternal life for all.
Let us pray:
May your perfect love cast out all fear.

We praise you and ask you for courage
to accept life's sufferings.
May your perfect love cast out all fear.

We give you thanks for Stephen and all the early martyrs,
who showed faith when challenged and confronted:
May your perfect love cast out all fear.

You did not condemn Paul at the time of Stephen's death,
teach us to withhold judgment and give us patient hearts:
May your perfect love cast out all fear.

You graced Stephen with gifts of wisdom and goodness;
help us to appreciate these gifts in those around us:
May your perfect love cast out all fear.

You have strengthened your Church
through the faith and death of your martyrs;
hear our prayers for your Church.
May your perfect love cast out all fear.

Heavenly Father,
give us grace in all our sufferings for the truth
to follow the example of your martyr Stephen:
that we also may look to him who was crucified
and pray for those who persecute us;

let us pray in faith and trust:

- The Lord's Prayer

May God who has brought us out of darkness
give us a place with the saints in light
in the kingdom of his Son. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses a prayer from _Common
Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from
which is included in this service is copyright (c) The Archbishops'
Council, 2000.

The closing sentence is a prayer in _New Patterns for Worship_,

All that we know about Stephen the Protomartyr (that is, the first martyr of the
Christian Church) is found in chapters 6 and 7 of the Book of Acts.
The early Christian congregations, like the Jewish synagogues, had a program
of assistance for needy widows, and some of the Greek-speaking Jews in the
Jerusalem congregation complained that their widows were being neglected.
The apostles replied: "We cannot both preach and administer financial matters.
Choose seven men from among yourselves, respected, Spirit-filled, and of
sound judgement, and let them be in charge of the accounts, and we will
devote ourselves to prayer and the ministry of the word." The people
accordingly chose seven men, including Stephen, and the apostles laid their
hands on them. They are traditionally considered to be the first deacons,
although the Scriptures do not use the word to describe them. (The Scriptures
do refer to officials called deacons in the local congregations, without being
very specific about their duties; and a century or more later, we find the
organized charities of each local congregation in the hands of its deacons.)
Stephen was an eloquent and fiery speaker, and a provocative one. (Some
readers have speculated that some of his fellow Christians wanted to put him in
charge of alms in the hope that he would administer more and talk less.) His
blunt declarations that the Temple service was no longer the means by which
penitent sinners should seek reconciliation with God enraged the Temple
leaders, who caused him to be stoned to death. As he died, he said, "Lord, do
not hold this sin against them." One of those who saw the stoning and
approved of it was Saul (or Paul) of Tarsus, who took an active part in the
general persecution of Christians that followed the death of Stephen, but who
was later led to become a Christian himself.