OREMUS: 22 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 21 17:00:10 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association
with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with
your
support.

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 22, 2009
O Rex gentium

Blessed are you, O Promised One,
Ruler of the nations,
the only desire of every human heart.
The world is waiting from the beginning,
waiting and expecting its God.
Desire of the world
and your mother's desire,
from whom you took the mortal dust you made.

My heart is firmly fixed, O God, my heart is fixed;*
 I will sing and make melody.
 I myself will waken the dawn.
I will confess you among the peoples, O Lord;*
 I will sing praises to you among the nations.
For your lovingkindness is greater than the heavens,*
 and your glory over all the earth.
So that those who are dear to you may be delivered,*
 save with your right hand and answer me.

Psalm 109:1-4, 20-30

Hold not your tongue, O God of my praise;*
 for the mouth of the wicked,
   the mouth of the deceitful, is opened against me.
They speak to me with a lying tongue;*
 they encompass me with hateful words
   and fight against me without a cause.
Despite my love, they accuse me;*
 but as for me, I pray for them.
They repay evil for good,*
 and hatred for my love.
But you, O Lord my God,
   O deal with me according to your name;*
 for your tender mercy's sake, deliver me.
For I am poor and needy,*
 and my heart is wounded within me.
I have faded away like a shadow when it lengthens;*
 I am shaken off like a locust.
My knees are weak through fasting,*
 and my flesh is wasted and gaunt.
I have become a reproach to them;*
 they see and shake their heads.
Help me, O Lord my God;*
 save me for your mercy's sake.
Let them know that this is your hand,*
 that you, O Lord, have done it.
They may curse, but you will bless;*
 let those who rise up against me be put to shame,
   and your servant will rejoice.
Let my accusers be clothed with disgrace*
 and wrap themselves in their shame as in a cloak.
I will give great thanks to the Lord with my mouth;*
 in the midst of the multitude will I praise him;
Because he stands at the right hand of the needy,*
 to save his life from those who would condemn him.

FIRST READING [2 Samuel 7:18-end]:

Then King David went in and sat before the Lord, and said, 'Who am I, O Lord God,
and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And yet this was a small
thing in your eyes, O Lord God; you have spoken also of your servant's house for a
great while to come. May this be instruction for the people, O Lord God! And what
more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Lord God! Because of
your promise, and according to your own heart, you have wrought all this greatness,
so that your servant may know it. Therefore you are great, O Lord God; for there is
no one like you, and there is no God besides you, according to all that we have heard
with our ears. Who is like your people, like Israel? Is there another nation on earth
whose God went to redeem it as a people, and to make a name for himself, doing great
and awesome things for them, by driving out before his people nations and their gods?
And you established your people Israel for yourself to be your people for ever; and
you, O Lord, became their God. And now, O Lord God, as for the word that you have
spoken concerning your servant and concerning his house, confirm it for ever; do as
you have promised. Thus your name will be magnified for ever in the saying, "The
Lord of hosts is God over Israel"; and the house of your servant David will be
established before you. For you, O Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, have made this
revelation to your servant, saying, "I will build you a house"; therefore your servant
has found courage to pray this prayer to you. And now, O Lord God, you are God,
and your words are true, and you have promised this good thing to your servant; now
therefore may it please you to bless the house of your servant, so that it may continue
for ever before you; for you, O Lord God, have spoken, and with your blessing shall
the house of your servant be blessed for ever.'

HYMN
Words: Charles Wesley (1707-1788), 1744
Tune: Stuttgart, Cross of Jesus, Halton Holgate

<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c307.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/c/c307.html

Come, thou long-expected Jesus,
born to set thy people free;
from our fears and sins release us,
let us find our rest in thee.

Israel's strength and consolation,
hope of all the earth thou art:
dear desire of every nation,
joy of every longing heart.

Born thy people to deliver,
born a child, and yet a king,
born to reign in us for ever,
now thy gracious kingdom bring.

By thine own eternal Spirit
rule in all our hearts alone;
by thine all-sufficient merit
raise us to thy glorious throne.

SECOND READING [Revelation 22:1-9]:

Then the angel showed me the river of the water of life, bright as crystal, flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb through the middle of the street of the city. On either side of the river is the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, producing its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree are for the healing of the nations. Nothing accursed will be found there any more. But the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him; they will see his face, and his name will be on their foreheads. And there will be no more night; they need no light of lamp or sun, for the Lord God will be their light, and they will reign for ever and ever.

And he said to me, 'These words are trustworthy and true, for the Lord, the God of the spirits of the prophets, has sent his angel to show his servants what must soon take place.'

'See, I am coming soon! Blessed is the one who keeps the words of the prophecy of this book.'

I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me; but he said to me, 'You must not do that! I am a fellow-servant with you and your comrades the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God!'

Nunc dimittis (Night) may
follow.

Prayer:
The world is waiting restlessly for you, Lord, to come.
Reward us who wait for you
with surprises we cannot anticipate.
As Mary was astounded by Gabriel's announcement,
so also amaze us with promises beyond our comprehension,
even with responsibilities we fear to accept.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Speak the word to us
that the power of the Holy Spirit will come upon us
that we may fulfill all you have called us to be.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

In these final hours of waiting,
prepare us to plumb the depths
of your incarnation's mystery.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Enable us to bear the fruits of repentance,
lest the outward celebrations of Christmas
not be enacted with the inward reality of faith each day.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

Inhabit us continually with your Living Word,
as for centuries you have filled your people with transforming love.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

So satisfy the cravings of the human heart,
that, having seen the great things come to pass,
your people may glorify you and give you praise.
Come, Lord Jesus, come!

God of grace,
your eternal Word took flesh among us
when Mary placed her life at the service of your will:
Prepare our hearts for his coming again;
keep us steadfast in hope and faithful in service,
that we may receive the coming of his kingdom,
for the sake of Jesus Christ the ruler of all,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here

O come, Desire of nations, bind
in one the hearts of all mankind;
bid thou our sad divisions cease,
and be thyself our King of Peace.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel!

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted by Stephen Benner from the
antiphon O Rex gentium, a sentence from the Maronite liturgy and a sentence
from _THE DAILY OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the
Use of the Order of Saint Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint
Luke. Used by permission.

The intercession is adapted from a prayer reprinted from _THE DAILY
OFFICE: A Book of Hours of Daily Prayer after the Use of the Order of Saint
Luke_, (c) 1997 by The Order of Saint Luke. Used by permission.

Westminster / John Knox Press.