OREMUS: 21 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Dec 20 21:28:37 GMT 2009

Visit our website at http://www.oremus.org for more resources, a link to our store in association with
Amazon and other opportunities to support this ministry. This ministry can only continue with your
support.

OREMUS for Sunday, December 21, 2009
O Oriens

Blessed are you, O radiant Dawn,
splendor of eternal light.
Like the sun, the world's Savior, the Sun of justice, will rise
and the Lord shall down to the Virgin's womb
like gentle rain upon the grass.

 for his mercy endures for ever.
Who can declare the mighty acts of the Lord*
 or show forth all his praise?
Happy are those who act with justice*
 and always do what is right!
Remember me, O Lord,
   with the favour you have for your people,*
 and visit me with your saving help;
That I may see the prosperity of your elect
   and be glad with the gladness of your people,*
 that I may glory with your inheritance.
We have sinned as our forebears did;*
 we have done wrong and dealt wickedly.

In Egypt they did not consider your marvellous works,
   nor remember the abundance of your love;*
 they defied the Most High at the Red Sea.
But he saved them for his name's sake,*
 to make his power known.
He rebuked the Red Sea and it dried up,*
 and he led them through the deep as through a desert.
He saved them from the hand of those who hated them*
 and redeemed them from the hand of the enemy.
The waters covered their oppressors;*
 not one of them was left.
Then they believed his words*
 and sang him songs of praise.
But they soon forgot his deeds*
 and did not wait for his counsel.
A craving seized them in the wilderness,*
 and they put God to the test in the desert.
He gave them what they asked,*
 but sent leanness into their soul.
They envied Moses in the camp,*
 and Aaron, the holy one of the Lord.
The earth opened and swallowed Dathan*
 and covered the company of Abiram.
Fire blazed up against their company,*
 and flames devoured the wicked.
Israel made a bullcalf at Horeb*
 and worshipped a molten image;
And so they exchanged their Glory*
 for the image of an ox that feeds on grass.
They forgot God their saviour,*
 who had done great things in Egypt,
Wonderful deeds in the land of Ham,*
 and fearful things at the Red Sea.
So he would have destroyed them,
   had not Moses his chosen
   stood before him in the breach,*
 to turn away his wrath from consuming them.

Our forebears refused the pleasant land*
 and would not believe God's promise.
They grumbled in their tents*
 and would not listen to the voice of the Lord.
So he lifted his hand against them,*
 to overthrow them in the wilderness,
To cast out their seed among the nations,*
 and to scatter them throughout the lands.
They joined themselves to BaalPeor*
 and ate sacrifices offered to the dead.
They provoked him to anger with their actions,*
 and a plague broke out among them.
Then Phinehas stood up and interceded,*
 and the plague came to an end.
This was reckoned to him as righteousness*
 throughout all generations for ever.
Again they provoked his anger at the waters of Meribah,*
 so that he punished Moses because of them;
For they so embittered his spirit*
 that he spoke rash words with his lips.
They did not destroy the peoples*
 as the Lord had commanded them.
They intermingled with the heathen*
 and learned their pagan ways,
So that they worshipped their idols,*
 which became a snare to them.! v37 >
They sacrificed their sons*
 and their daughters to evil spirits.
They shed innocent blood,
   the blood of their sons and daughters,*
 which they offered to the idols of Canaan,
   and the land was defiled with blood.
Thus they were polluted by their actions*
 and went whoring in their evil deeds;
Therefore the wrath of the Lord
   was kindled against his people*
 and he abhorred his inheritance.
He gave them over to the hand of the heathen,*
 and those who hated them ruled over them.
Their enemies oppressed them,*
 and they were humbled under their hand.
Many a time did he deliver them,
   but they rebelled through their own devices,*
 and were brought down in their iniquity.
Nevertheless, he saw their distress,*
 when he heard their lamentation.
He remembered his covenant with them*
 and relented in accordance with his great mercy.
He caused them to be pitied*
 by those who held them captive.
Save us, O Lord our God,
   and gather us from among the nations,*
 that we may give thanks to your holy name
   and glory in your praise.
Blessed be the Lord, the God of Israel,
   from everlasting and to everlasting;*
 and let all the people say, 'Amen!'
   Alleluia!

FIRST READING [Zechariah 8:1-8, 20-23]:

The word of the Lord of hosts came to me, saying: Thus says the Lord of hosts: I am
jealous for Zion with great jealousy, and I am jealous for her with great wrath. Thus
says the Lord: I will return to Zion, and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem; Jerusalem
shall be called the faithful city, and the mountain of the Lord of hosts shall be called
the holy mountain. Thus says the Lord of hosts: Old men and old women shall again
sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each with staff in hand because of their great age. And
the streets of the city shall be full of boys and girls playing in its streets. Thus says the
Lord of hosts: Even though it seems impossible to the remnant of this people in these
days, should it also seem impossible to me, says the Lord of hosts? Thus says the Lord
of hosts: I will save my people from the east country and from the west country; and I
will bring them to live in Jerusalem. They shall be my people and I will be their God, in
faithfulness and in righteousness.

Thus says the Lord of hosts: Peoples shall yet come, the inhabitants of many cities; the
inhabitants of one city shall go to another, saying, 'Come, let us go to entreat the
favour of the Lord, and to seek the Lord of hosts; I myself am going.' Many peoples
and strong nations shall come to seek the Lord of hosts in Jerusalem, and to entreat
the favour of the Lord. Thus says the Lord of hosts: In those days ten men from
nations of every language shall take hold of a Jew, grasping his garment and saying,
'Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.'

HYMN
Words: Harriet Auber (1773-1862)
Tune: Maos Zur

Praise our great and gracious Lord,
call upon his holy name;
raising hymns in glad accord,
all his mighty acts proclaim:
how he leads his chosen
unto Canaan's promised land,
how the word we have heard
firm and changeless still shall stand.

God has given the cloud by day,
given the moving fire by night;
guides his Israel on their way
from the darkness into light.
God it is who grants us
sure retreat and refuge nigh;
light of dawn leads us on:
'tis the Dayspring from on high.

SECOND READING [Revelation 21:9-end]:

Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, ‘Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.’ And in the spirit he carried me away to a great, high mountain and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God. It has the glory of God and a radiance like a very rare jewel, like jasper, clear as crystal. It has a great, high wall with twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and on the gates are inscribed the names of the twelve tribes of the Israelites; on the east three gates, on the north three gates, on the south three gates, and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city has twelve foundations, and on them are the twelve names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

The angel who talked to me had a measuring rod of gold to measure the city and its gates and walls. The city lies foursquare, its length the same as its width; and he measured the city with his rod, fifteen hundred miles; its length and width and height are equal. He also measured its wall, one hundred and forty-four cubits by human measurement, which the angel was using.
The wall is built of jasper, while the city is pure gold, clear as glass. The foundations of the wall of the city are adorned with every jewel; the first was jasper, the second sapphire, the third agate, the fourth emerald, the fifth onyx, the sixth cornelian, the seventh chrysolite, the eighth beryl, the ninth topaz, the tenth chrysoprase, the eleventh jacinth, the twelfth amethyst. And the twelve gates are twelve pearls, each of the gates is a single pearl, and the street of the city is pure gold, transparent as glass.

I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God is its light, and its lamp is the Lamb. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it. Its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. People will bring into it the glory and the honour of the nations. But nothing unclean will enter it, nor anyone who practises abomination or falsehood, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.

Gracious God,
out of chaos and darkness
you brought forth the splendor of the universe
and the world in all its beauty:
Light of the world, come!

You sent your Son
at the proper time
to be the Light of the world,
to lead us out of darkness
into the brightness of your truth.
Light of the world, come!

Beyond all the noise and excitement
surrounding this season,
we look for the coming of the new heaven and new earth.
Light of the world, come!

Lord Jesus,
you are coming again in great glory;
send your Spirit upon us
to prepare for this great event.
Light of the world, come!

Lord God,
we await the dawning of the new day
when the earth shall be filled with your glory.
Light of the world, come!

God of all wisdom,
our hearts yearn for the warmth of your love,
and our minds search for the light of your Word:
Increase our longing for Christ our Savior,
and strengthen us to grow in love,
that at the dawn of his coming
we may rejoice in his presence
and welcome the light of his truth;
this we ask in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Music may be found <a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/mid/veniemma.mid">here

O come, thou Dayspring from on high,