OREMUS: 13 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Dec 12 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, December 13, 2009
The Third Sunday of Advent

Blessed are you, God, our beginning and our end,
in whom we live and move and have our being,
we thank you for the gift of your presence
through the long night of our travails.
You led you people on their journey into freedom,
a pillar a cloud by day, a pillar of fire at night.
You spoke to them through the Law,
and when, like sheep, they went astray
you sought them and guided them home.
You comforted them in times of suffering
and called them to be a light to the nations.
Now you do a new thing in our midst:
the voice of the Baptist cries out in the wilderness
and the way is prepared for the coming of your Son.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 69

Save me, O God,*
 for the waters have risen up to my neck.
I am sinking in deep mire,*
 and there is no firm ground for my feet.
I have come into deep waters,*
 and the torrent washes over me.
I have grown weary with my crying;
   my throat is inflamed;*
 my eyes have failed from looking for my God.
Those who hate me without a cause
   are more than the hairs of my head;
   my lying foes who would destroy me are mighty.*
 Must I then give back what I never stole?
O God, you know my foolishness,*
 and my faults are not hidden from you.
Let not those who hope in you
   be put to shame through me, Lord God of hosts;*
 let not those who seek you be disgraced because of me,
   O God of Israel.
Surely, for your sake have I suffered reproach,*
 and shame has covered my face.
I have become a stranger to my own kindred,*
 an alien to my mother's children.
Zeal for your house has eaten me up;*
 the scorn of those who scorn you has fallen upon me.
I humbled myself with fasting,*
 but that was turned to my reproach.
I put on sackcloth also,*
 and became a byword among them.
Those who sit at the gate murmur against me,*
 and the drunkards make songs about me.
But as for me, this is my prayer to you,*
 at the time you have set, O Lord:
'In your great mercy, O God,*
 answer me with your unfailing help.
'Save me from the mire; do not let me sink;*
 let me be rescued from those who hate me
   and out of the deep waters.
'Let not the torrent of waters wash over me,
   neither let the deep swallow me up;*
 do not let the Pit shut its mouth upon me.
'Answer me, O Lord, for your love is kind;*
 in your great compassion, turn to me.
'Hide not your face from your servant;*
 be swift and answer me, for I am in distress.
'Draw near to me and redeem me;*
 because of my enemies deliver me.
'You know my reproach, my shame and my dishonour;*
 my adversaries are all in your sight.'
Reproach has broken my heart and it cannot be healed;*
 I looked for sympathy, but there was none,
   for comforters, but I could find no one.
They gave me gall to eat,*
 and when I was thirsty, they gave me vinegar to drink.
As for me, I am afflicted and in pain;*
 your help, O God, will lift me up on high.
I will praise the name of God in song;*
 I will proclaim his greatness with thanksgiving.
This will please the Lord more than an offering of oxen,*
 more than bullocks with horns and hoofs.
The afflicted shall see and be glad;*
 you who seek God, your heart shall live.
For the Lord listens to the needy,*
 and his prisoners he does not despise.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,*
 the seas and all that moves in them;
For God will save Zion and rebuild the cities of Judah;*
 they shall live there and have it in possession.
The children of his servants will inherit it,*
 and those who love his name will dwell therein.

Psalm 70

Be pleased, O God, to deliver me;*
 O Lord, make haste to help me.
Let those who seek my life
   be ashamed and altogether dismayed;*
 let those who take pleasure in my misfortune
   draw back and be disgraced.
Let those who say to me 'Aha!'
   and gloat over me turn back,*
 because they are ashamed.
Let all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you;*
 let those who love your salvation say for ever,
   'Great is the Lord!'
But as for me, I am poor and needy;*
 come to me speedily, O God.
You are my helper and my deliverer;*
 O Lord, do not tarry.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 1:4-10, 17-19]:

Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
and before you were born I consecrated you;
I appointed you a prophet to the nations.’
Then I said, ‘Ah, Lord God! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy.’ But the Lord said to me,
‘Do not say, “I am only a boy”;
for you shall go to all to whom I send you,
and you shall speak whatever I command you.
Do not be afraid of them,
for I am with you to deliver you,
says the Lord.’
Then the Lord put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the Lord said to me,
‘Now I have put my words in your mouth.
See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,
to pluck up and to pull down,
to destroy and to overthrow,
to build and to plant.’ But you, gird up your loins; stand up and tell them everything that I command you. Do not break down before them, or I will break you before them. And I for my part have made you today a fortified city, an iron pillar, and a bronze wall, against the whole land—against the kings of Judah, its princes, its priests, and the people of the land. They will fight against you; but they shall not prevail against you, for I am with you, says the Lord, to deliver you.

HYMN
Words: Emily M Crawford (1864-1927)
Tune: Quietude

Speak, Lord, in the stillness,
While I wait on Thee;
Hushed my heart to listen
In expectancy.

Speak, O blessèd Master,
In this quiet hour;
Let me see Thy face, Lord,
Feel Thy touch of power.

For the words Thou speakest,
They are life indeed;
Living Bread from heaven,
Now my spirit feed.

Speak, Thy servant heareth!
Be not silent, Lord;
Waits my soul upon Thee
For the quickening word.

Fill me with the knowledge
Of Thy glorious will';
All Thine own good pleasure
In Thy child fulfil.

SECOND READING [1 Corinthians 9:7-23]:

Who at any time pays the expenses for doing military service? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock and does not get any of its milk?

Do I say this on human authority? Does not the law also say the same? For it is written in the law of Moses, ‘You shall not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain.’ Is it for oxen that God is concerned? Or does he not speak entirely for our sake? It was indeed written for our sake, for whoever ploughs should plough in hope and whoever threshes should thresh in hope of a share in the crop. If we have sown spiritual good among you, is it too much if we reap your material benefits? If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we still more?

Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ. Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is sacrificed on the altar? In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this so that they may be applied in my case. Indeed, I would rather die than that—no one will deprive me of my ground for boasting! If I proclaim the gospel, this gives me no ground for boasting, for an obligation is laid on me, and woe betide me if I do not proclaim the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. What then is my reward? Just this: that in my proclamation I may make the gospel free of charge, so as not to make full use of my rights in the gospel.

For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

God the Father has given us his own Son. Let us bring our prayers to him, confident in his love for us.

We pray for the leaders of the nations meeting in Copenhagen for the climate summit: may they be inspired to work together for the good of the planet we all share; and may real progress be made.

We pray for the people in southern India affected by violence: that there will be a peaceful resolution to the situation.

We pray for the people of Cuba in the wake of unrest in that country: that there would be an end to all intimidation.

We pray for all those affected by extreme weather conditions around the world: that they would be kept safe and be able to continue with their everyday lives.

We pray for all those who are chronically sick or disabled: that they may be given the support they need to live life in its fullness.

Almighty Father, we rejoice in your loving mercy and ask you to hear our prayers through your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Deliver us, Lord, from every evil,
and grant us peace in our day.
In your mercy keep us free from sin
and protect us from all anxiety,
as we wait in joyful hope
for the coming of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

May the Spirit so increase our faith and our commitment
that we may be Christ's servants in the world,
until he comes again
and all your purpose, Father, is accomplished,
in your eternal glory. Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

a Eucharistic Prayer by Colin Thompson, (c) 2003, United Reformed Church. Used with permission.