OREMUS: 11 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Dec 10 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Friday, December 11, 2009

Blessed are you, God of eternity!
When the voice of the prophet was silent
and the faith of your people low;
when darkness had obscured light
and indifference displaced zeal:
you saw that the time was right,
and prepared to send your Son
to set us free from fear and despair
that we may be ready to welcome him
who comes as Savior and Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 59

Rescue me from my enemies, O God;*
 protect me from those who rise up against me.
Rescue me from evildoers*
 and save me from those who thirst for my blood.
See how they lie in wait for my life,
   how the mighty gather together against me;*
 not for any offence or fault of mine, O Lord.
Not because of any guilt of mine*
 they run and prepare themselves for battle.
Rouse yourself, come to my side and see;*
 for you, Lord God of hosts, are Israel's God.
My eyes are fixed on you, O my Strength;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold.
My merciful God comes to meet me;*
 God will let me look in triumph on my enemies.
Let everyone know that God rules in Jacob,*
 and to the ends of the earth.
For my part, I will sing of your strength;*
 I will celebrate your love in the morning;
For you have become my stronghold,*
 a refuge in the day of my trouble.
To you, O my Strength, will I sing;*
 for you, O God, are my stronghold
   and my merciful God.

Psalm 60

O God, you have cast us off and broken us;*
 you have been angry;
   O take us back to you again.
You have shaken the earth and split it open;*
 repair the cracks in it, for it totters.
You have made your people know hardship;*
 you have given us wine that makes us stagger.
You have set up a banner for those who fear you,*
 to be a refuge from the power of the bow.
Save us by your right hand and answer us,*
 that those who are dear to you may be delivered.
God spoke from his holy place and said:*
 'I will exult and parcel out Shechem;
   I will divide the valley of Succoth.
'Gilead is mine and Manasseh is mine;*
 Ephraim is my helmet and Judah my sceptre.
'Moab is my washbasin,
   on Edom I throw down my sandal to claim it,*
 and over Philistia will I shout in triumph.'
Who will lead me into the strong city?*
 who will bring me into Edom?
Have you not cast us off, O God?*
 you no longer go out, O God, with our armies.
Grant us your help against the enemy,*
 for vain is human help.
With God we will do valiant deeds,*
 and he shall tread our enemies under foot.

Psalm 61

Hear my cry, O God,*
 and listen to my prayer.
I call upon you from the ends of the earth
   with heaviness in my heart;*
 set me upon the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,*
 a strong tower against the enemy.
I will dwell in your house for ever;*
 I will take refuge under the cover of your wings.
For you, O God, have heard my vows;*
 you have granted me the heritage
   of those who fear your name.
Add length of days to the king's life;*
 let his years extend over many generations.
Let him sit enthroned before God for ever;*
 bid love and faithfulness watch over him.
So will I always sing the praise of your name,*
 and day by day I will fulfil my vows.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 24:16b-end]:

>From the ends of the earth we hear songs of praise,
   of glory to the Righteous One.
But I say, I pine away,
   I pine away. Woe is me!
For the treacherous deal treacherously,
   the treacherous deal very treacherously.

Terror, and the pit, and the snare
   are upon you, O inhabitant of the earth!
Whoever flees at the sound of the terror
   shall fall into the pit,
and whoever climbs out of the pit
   shall be caught in the snare.
For the windows of heaven are opened,
   and the foundations of the earth tremble.
The earth is utterly broken,
   the earth is torn asunder,
   the earth is violently shaken.
The earth staggers like a drunkard,
   it sways like a hut;
its transgression lies heavy upon it,
   and it falls, and will not rise again.

On that day the Lord will punish
   the host of heaven in heaven,
   and on earth the kings of the earth.
They will be gathered together
   like prisoners in a pit;
they will be shut up in a prison,
   and after many days they will be punished.
Then the moon will be abashed,
   and the sun ashamed;
for the Lord of hosts will reign
   on Mount Zion and in Jerusalem,
and before his elders he will manifest his glory.

HYMN
Words: Morgan Rhys (1716-1779) translated by Edward M Powell (1852-1928)
Tune: Wiltshire

When oceans vast their depths reveal
And moons have ceased to wane,
The Lamb who died and rose again,
On Zion's hill shall reign.

His glorious Name must long endure
When suns have ceased to shine,
And through eternity the saints
Will sing His praise divine.

As countless as the drops of dew,
Or sand upon the shore,
Are blessings which the ransomed have
In Him for evermore.

Let every other name recede,
His Name alone extol;
In Him reserved, there is the grace
To satisfy my soul.

SECOND READING [Revelation 15]:

The revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place; he made it known by sending his angel to his servant John, who testified to the word of God and to the testimony of Jesus Christ, even to all that he saw.
Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of the prophecy, and blessed are those who hear and who keep what is written in it; for the time is near.

John to the seven churches that are in Asia:

Grace to you and peace from him who is and who was and who is to come, and from the seven spirits who are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of the kings of the earth.

To him who loves us and freed us from our sins by his blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father, to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Look! He is coming with the clouds;
   every eye will see him,
even those who pierced him;
   and on his account all the tribes of the earth will wail.
So it is to be. Amen.
‘I am the Alpha and the Omega’, says the Lord God, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.

I, John, your brother who share with you in Jesus the persecution and the kingdom and the patient endurance, was on the island called Patmos because of the word of God and the testimony of Jesus. I was in the spirit on the Lord’s day, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet saying, ‘Write in a book what you see and send it to the seven churches, to Ephesus, to Smyrna, to Pergamum, to Thyatira, to Sardis, to Philadelphia, and to Laodicea.’

Then I turned to see whose voice it was that spoke to me, and on turning I saw seven golden lampstands, and in the midst of the lampstands I saw one like the Son of Man, clothed with a long robe and with a golden sash across his chest. His head and his hair were white as white wool, white as snow; his eyes were like a flame of fire, his feet were like burnished bronze, refined as in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of many waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and from his mouth came a sharp, two-edged sword, and his face was like the sun shining with full force.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he placed his right hand on me, saying, ‘Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last, and the living one. I was dead, and see, I am alive for ever and ever; and I have the keys of Death and of Hades. Now write what you have seen, what is, and what is to take place after this. As for the mystery of the seven stars that you saw in my right hand, and the seven golden lampstands: the seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

To the poor and exploited;
to lives overshadowed by conflict,
come with your message of justice and peace
Come, reveal yourself within our world, Lord.

To the lonely and unloved;
to lives overshadowed by suffering,
come with your friendship and concern
Come, reveal yourself in our community, Lord.

To both young and old on the journey of faith;
to lives overshadowed by doubt,
come with the gift of your Holy Spirit
Come, reveal yourself to the church, Lord.

To the sinner and the seeker;
to lives overshadowed by emptiness,
come with the offering of salvation
Come, reveal yourself in human lives, Lord.

To the sick and anxious;
to lives overshadowed by sorrow,
come with all-sufficient love
Come, that we may know you with us in our need, Lord.

God our deliverer,
your servant John cried out in the desert;
help us to wait with patience for your salvation,
and trust in the promise
that you hear those
who cry through Jesus our Lord. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with