OREMUS: 9 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Tue Dec 8 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blessed are you, God of eternity!
When the voice of the prophet was silent
and the faith of your people low;
when darkness had obscured light
and indifference displaced zeal:
you saw that the time was right,
and prepared to send your Son
to set us free from fear and despair
that we may be ready to welcome him
who comes as Savior and Lord.

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 47

Clap your hands, all you peoples;*
 shout to God with a cry of joy.
For the Lord Most High is to be feared;*
 he is the great king over all the earth.
He subdues the peoples under us,*
 and the nations under our feet.
He chooses our inheritance for us,*
 the pride of Jacob whom he loves.
God has gone up with a shout,*
 the Lord with the sound of the ram'shorn.
Sing praises to God, sing praises;*
 sing praises to our king, sing praises.
For God is king of all the earth;*
 sing praises with all your skill.
God reigns over the nations;*
 God sits upon his holy throne.
The nobles of the peoples have gathered together*
 with the people of the God of Abraham.
The rulers of the earth belong to God,*
 and he is highly exalted.

Psalm 48

Great is the Lord and highly to be praised;*
 in the city of our God is his holy hill.
Beautiful and lofty, the joy of all the earth,
   is the hill of Zion,*
 the very centre of the world
   and the city of the great king.
God is in her citadels;*
 he is known to be her sure refuge.
Behold, the kings of the earth assembled*
 and marched forward together.
They looked and were astounded;*
 they retreated and fled in terror.
Trembling seized them there;*
 they writhed like a woman in childbirth,
   like ships of the sea when the east wind shatters them.
As we have heard, so have we seen,
   in the city of the Lord of hosts, in the city of our God;*
 God has established her for ever.
We have waited in silence
   on your lovingkindness, O God,*
 in the midst of your temple.
Your praise, like your name, O God,
   reaches to the world's end;*
 your right hand is full of justice.
Let Mount Zion be glad
   and the cities of Judah rejoice,*
 because of your judgements.
Make the circuit of Zion; walk round about her;*
 count the number of her towers.
Consider well her bulwarks; examine her strongholds;*
 that you may tell those who come after.
This God is our God for ever and ever;*
 he shall be our guide for evermore.

Psalm 49

Hear this, all you peoples;
   hearken, all you who dwell in the world,*
 you of high degree and low, rich and poor together.
My mouth shall speak of wisdom,*
 and my heart shall meditate on understanding.
I will incline my ear to a proverb*
 and set forth my riddle upon the harp.
Why should I be afraid in evil days,*
 when the wickedness of those at my heels surrounds me,
The wickedness of those
   who put their trust in their goods,*
 and boast of their great riches?
We can never ransom ourselves,*
 or deliver to God the price of our life;
For the ransom of our life is so great,*
 that we should never have enough to pay it,
In order to live for ever and ever,*
 and never see the grave.
For we see that the wise die also;
   like the dull and stupid they perish*
 and leave their wealth to those who come after them.
Their graves shall be their homes for ever,
   their dwelling places from generation to generation,*
 though they call the lands after their own names.
Even though honoured, they cannot live for ever;*
 they are like the beasts that perish.
Such is the way of those
   who foolishly trust in themselves,*
 and the end of those who delight in their own words.
Like a flock of sheep they are destined to die;
   Death is their shepherd;*
 they go down straightway to the grave.
Their form shall waste away,*
 and the land of the dead shall be their home.
But God will ransom my life;*
 he will snatch me from the grasp of death.
Do not be envious when some become rich,*
 or when the grandeur of their house increases;
For they will carry nothing away at their death,*
 nor will their grandeur follow them.
Though they thought highly of themselves
   while they lived,*
 and were praised for their success,
They shall join the company of their forebears,*
 who will never see the light again.
Those who are honoured, but have no understanding,*
 are like the beasts that perish.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 11:1-10]:

A shoot shall come out from the stock of Jesse,
   and a branch shall grow out of his roots.
The spirit of the Lord shall rest on him,
   the spirit of wisdom and understanding,
   the spirit of counsel and might,
   the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.
His delight shall be in the fear of the Lord.

He shall not judge by what his eyes see,
   or decide by what his ears hear;
but with righteousness he shall judge the poor,
   and decide with equity for the meek of the earth;
he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth,
   and with the breath of his lips he shall kill the wicked.
Righteousness shall be the belt around his waist,
   and faithfulness the belt around his loins.

The wolf shall live with the lamb,
   the leopard shall lie down with the kid,
the calf and the lion and the fatling together,
   and a little child shall lead them.
The cow and the bear shall graze,
   their young shall lie down together;
   and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.
The nursing child shall play over the hole of the asp,
   and the weaned child shall put its hand on the adder’s den.
They will not hurt or destroy
   on all my holy mountain;
for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord
   as the waters cover the sea.

On that day the root of Jesse shall stand as a signal to the peoples; the nations shall inquire of him, and his dwelling shall be glorious.

HYMN
Words: vv. 1, 2 translated Theodore Baker (1851-1934) v. 3 translated Harriet R K Spaeth (1845-1925)
Tune: Es ist ein Ros

Lo! how a Rose, e'er blooming,
>From tender stem hath sprung,
Of Jesse's lineage coming
As seers of old have sung;
It came, a blossom bright,
Amid the cold of winter
When half-spent was the night.

Isaiah 'twas foretold it,
The Rose I have in mind;
With Mary we behold it,
The Virgin Mother kind:
To show God's love aright
She bore to us a Saviour
When half-spent was the night.

O Flower, whose fragrance tender
With sweetness fills the air,
Dispel in glorious splendour
The darkness everywhere;
True man, yet very God,
>From sin and death now save us
And share our every load.

SECOND READING [Revelation 13:1-10]:

And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, having ten horns and seven heads; and on its horns were ten diadems, and on its heads were blasphemous names. And the beast that I saw was like a leopard, its feet were like a bear’s, and its mouth was like a lion’s mouth. And the dragon gave it his power and his throne and great authority. One of its heads seemed to have received a death-blow, but its mortal wound had been healed. In amazement the whole earth followed the beast. They worshipped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshipped the beast, saying, ‘Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?’

The beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months. It opened its mouth to utter blasphemies against God, blaspheming his name and his dwelling, that is, those who dwell in heaven. Also, it was allowed to make war on the saints and to conquer them. It was given authority over every tribe and people and language and nation, and all the inhabitants of the earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb that was slaughtered.

Let anyone who has an ear listen:
If you are to be taken captive,
   into captivity you go;
if you kill with the sword,
   with the sword you must be killed.
Here is a call for the endurance and faith of the saints.

Jesus our exalted Lord has been given all authority.
Let us seek his intercession that our prayers may be perfected by his prayer.

Jesus Christ, great high priest, living for ever to intercede for us
pray for your Church, your broken body in the world(
We pray especially for the Diocese of
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, king of righteousness,
enthroned at the right hand of the majesty on high
pray for the world, and make it subject to your gentle rule(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Son of Man, drawing humanity into the life of God
pray for your bothers and sisters in need, distress or sorrow(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, pioneer of our salvation,
bringing us to your glory through your death and resurrection
receive into your kingdom those who have died
  trusting in your promises(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ, Lord of all things,
ascended far above from the heavens and filling the universe
pray for us who receive the gifts you give us
  for work in your service(
Lord, hear us.
Lord, graciously hear us.

Jesus Christ,
keep the Church in the unity of the Spirit
  and in the bond of peace,
and bring the whole created order to worship at your feet;
for you are alive and reign with the Father and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

O Lord, raise up, we pray, your power
and come among us,
and with great might succour us;
that whereas, through our sins and wickedness
we are grievously hindered
in running the race that is set before us,
your bountiful grace and mercy
may speedily help and deliver us;
through Jesus Christ our Lord,
to whom with you and the Holy Spirit,
be honour and glory, world without end.  Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with