OREMUS: 8 December 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Mon Dec 7 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Tuesday, December 8, 2009
The Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary

truly you work wonders over all the earth
and from age to age you extend your gracious mercy.
You looked with favor on your lowly servant,
the Blessed Virgin Mary,
and through her you gave to the world
Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
the author of salvation for humankind.
For these and all your mercies we praise you,

http://www.oremus.org/advocant.html

Psalm 41

Happy are they who consider the poor and needy!*
 the Lord will deliver them in the time of trouble.
The Lord preserves them and keeps them alive,
   so that they may be happy in the land;*
 he does not hand them over to the will of their enemies.
The Lord sustains them on their sickbed*
 and ministers to them in their illness.
I said, 'Lord, be merciful to me;*
 heal me, for I have sinned against you.'
My enemies are saying wicked things about me:*
 'When will he die and his name perish?'
Even if they come to see me, they speak empty words;*
 their heart collects false rumours;
   they go outside and spread them.
All my enemies whisper together about me*
 and devise evil against me.
'A deadly thing', they say, 'has fastened on him;*
 he has taken to his bed and will never get up again.'Even my best friend, whom I trusted,
   who broke bread with me,*
 has lifted up his heel and turned against me.
But you, O Lord, be merciful to me and raise me up,*
 and I shall repay them.
By this I know you are pleased with me,*
 that my enemy does not triumph over me.
In my integrity you hold me fast,*
 and shall set me before your face for ever.
Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,*
 from age to age. Amen. Amen.

Psalm 42

As the deer longs for the waterbrooks,*
 so longs my soul for you, O God.
My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God;*
 when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
My tears have been my food day and night,*
 while all day long they say to me,
   'Where now is your God?'
I pour out my soul when I think on these things:*
 how I went with the multitude
   and led them into the house of God,
With the voice of praise and thanksgiving,*
 among those who keep holyday.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.
My soul is heavy within me;*
 therefore I will remember you from the land of Jordan,
   and from the peak of Mizar among the heights of Hermon.
One deep calls to another in the noise of your cataracts;*
 all your rapids and floods have gone over me.
The Lord grants his lovingkindness in the daytime;*
 in the night season his song is with me,
   a prayer to the God of my life.
I will say to the God of my strength,
   'Why have you forgotten me?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?'
While my bones are being broken,*
 my enemies mock me to my face;
All day long they mock me*
 say to me, 'Where now is your God?'
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

Psalm 43

Give judgement for me, O God,
   and defend my cause against an ungodly people;*
 deliver me from the deceitful and the wicked.
For you are the God of my strength;
   why have you put me from you?*
 and why do I go so heavily
   while the enemy oppresses me?
Send out your light and your truth,
   that they may lead me,*
 and bring me to your holy hill
   and to your dwelling;
That I may go to the altar of God,
   to the God of my joy and gladness;*
 and on the harp I will give thanks to you,
   O God my God.
Why are you so full of heaviness, O my soul?*
 and why are you so disquieted within me?
Put your trust in God;*
 for I will yet give thanks to him,
   who is the help of my countenance, and my God.

FIRST READING [Genesis 12:1-7]:

Now the Lord said to Abram, 'Go from your country and your kindred and your
father's house to the land that I will show you. I will make of you a great nation,
and I will bless you, and make your name great, so that you will be a blessing. I
will bless those who bless you, and the one who curses you I will curse; and in you
all the families of the earth shall be blessed.'
So Abram went, as the Lord had told him; and Lot went with him. Abram was
seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Abram took his wife Sarai
and his brother's son Lot, and all the possessions that they had gathered, and the
persons whom they had acquired in Haran; and they set forth to go to the land of
Canaan. When they had come to the land of Canaan, Abram passed through the
land to the place at Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. At that time the Canaanites
were in the land. Then the Lord appeared to Abram, and said, 'To your offspring I
will give this land.' So he built there an altar to the Lord, who had appeared to
him.

HYMN
Words: Ascribed to Rabanus Maurus, ninth century;
trans. T. A. Lacey, 1906
Tune: Collaudemus

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/a/a158.html

All prophets hail thee, from of old announcing,
by the inbreathed Spirit of the father,
God's Mother, bringing prophecies to fullness,
Mary the maiden.

Thou the true Virgin Mother of the Highest,
Bearing incarnate God in awed obedience,
meekly acceptest for a sinless offspring
purification.

In the high temple Simeon receives thee,
takes to his bent arms with a holy rapture
that promised Savior, vision of redemption,
Christ long awaited.

Now the fair realm of Paradise attaining,
and to thy Son's throne, Mother of the Eternal,
raised all glorious, yet in earth's devotion
join with us always.

Glory and worship to the Lord of all things
pay we unresting, who alone adored,
Father and Son and Spirit, in the highest
reigneth eternal.

SECOND READING [Romans 8:28-30]:

We know that all things work together for good for those who love God, who are
called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to
be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn within a
large family. And those whom he predestined he also called; and those whom he called
he also justified; and those whom he justified he also glorified.

As we pray to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
we say with Mary:

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Your prophet of old foretold a day when a virgin would
conceive and bear a son who would be called
God-with-us. Help us to look forward to your
deliverance and to seek the fulness of your kingdom.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Your angel declared to Mary that she was to be the
mother of the Saviour. Help every Christian person to
be open to your word and obedient to your will.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Mary rejoiced with Elizabeth, and sang your praise, `My
soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord.' Help us to
live joyful lives that sing your praise.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Mary bore a son of David's line, born a king whose
reign would never end. Bless all the nations of the
world with Christ's gift of peace.
Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

The child Jesus grew in wisdom and stature in the home
of Mary and Joseph. Strengthen our homes and families,
and keep under your protection (... and) all those whom
we love.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
    - Holy is your name.

At the foot of the cross of Christ stood his mother,
and from the cross she received his lifeless body in
her arms. Give comfort and healing to (... and) all who
suffer and all who watch the suffering of those they
love.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

The apostle John saw a vision of a woman in heaven,
robed with the sun. Bring us with (... and) all those
who have died in the faith of Christ to share the joy
of heaven with Mary and all the saints.

Lord, have mercy on those who fear you.
Holy is your name.

Eternal God,
who prepared the blessed Virgin Mary
to be the mother of your Son:
grant that, as we rejoice in his coming as our Savior,
so we may be ready to greet him
when he comes as our Judge;
for he is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

Awaiting his coming in glory,

Remove those things which hinder love of you, O God,
that when your Son comes
he may find us waiting in awe and wonder.  Amen.

_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of England_, material from which is included in this service is copyright
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

_Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice Press, 1997. Reproduced with

The intercession is from _Enriching the Christian Year_  SPCK,
compilation (c)Michael Perham 1993.

The closing prayer is of Coptic origin.

This festival in honour of the conception of the mother of our Lord is
celebrated on this day in both the eastern and the western Church. This feast,
which dates from the seventh century, acknowledges the preparation by God of
his people to receive their Saviour and Lord, putting 'heaven in ordinary' and
showing that mortal flesh can indeed bring Christ to the world. [Exciting
Holiness]