OREMUS: 30 August 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 29 17:28:47 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, August 30, 2009
The Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost

the One whom we seek together,
the Life which is part of us all,
the Truth and the mark of mystery,
the Love and the Joy that makes us whole.
Blessed are you, O God:

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.

What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29.10b-13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.
Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head over all.
Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.
In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.
And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.
For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Tobit 13:1b-5, 7-11]:

Blessed be God who lives for ever,
   because his kingdom lasts throughout all ages.
For he afflicts, and he shows mercy;
   he leads down to Hades in the lowest regions of the earth,
   and he brings up from the great abyss,
   and there is nothing that can escape his hand.
Acknowledge him before the nations, O children of Israel;
   for he has scattered you among them.
   He has shown you his greatness even there.
Exalt him in the presence of every living being,
   because he is our Lord and he is our God;
   he is our Father and he is God for ever.
He will afflict you for your iniquities,
   but he will again show mercy on all of you.
He will gather you from all the nations
   among whom you have been scattered.
As for me, I exalt my God,
   and my soul rejoices in the King of heaven.
Let all people speak of his majesty,
   and acknowledge him in Jerusalem.
O Jerusalem, the holy city,
   he afflicted you for the deeds of your hands,
   but will again have mercy on the children of the righteous.
Acknowledge the Lord, for he is good,
   and bless the King of the ages,
   so that his tent may be rebuilt in you in joy.
May he cheer all those within you who are captives,
   and love all those within you who are distressed,
   to all generations for ever. heaven.
Generation after generation will give joyful praise in you;
   the name of the chosen city will endure for ever.
A bright light will shine to all the ends of the earth;
   many nations will come to you from far away,
the inhabitants of the remotest parts of the earth to your holy name,
   bearing gifts in their hands for the King.

HYMN
Words: Johann Heermann (1585-1647) translated by Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878)
Tune: Darmstadt

O God, thou faithful God,
Thou fountain ever flowing,
Without whom nothing is,
All perfect gifts bestowing;
A pure and healthy frame
O give us, and within
A conscience free from blame,
A soul unhurt by sin.

If dangers gather round,
Still keep us calm and fearless;
Help us to bear the cross
When life is dark and cheerless;
To overcome our foe
With words and actions kind;
When counsel we would know,
Good counsel let us find.

And grant us, Lord, to do
With ready heart and willing,
Whate'er thou shalt command,
Our calling here fulfilling;
And do it when we ought
With all our strength, and bless
The work we thus have wrought,
For thou must give success.

SECOND READING [Philippians 2:12-18]:

Therefore, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed me, not only in my presence, but much more now in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who is at work in you, enabling you both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Do all things without murmuring and arguing, so that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, in which you shine like stars in the world. It is by your holding fast to the word of life that I can boast on the day of Christ that I did not run in vain or labour in vain. But even if I am being poured out as a libation over the sacrifice and the offering of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you— and in the same way you also must be glad and rejoice with me.

We remember Iran and its people and its political leaders, and pray for wise moderation to prevail.

We remember all the troubled peoples of the Middle East – Israel and Palestine, Iraq, Afghanistan – and of the world, and pray for God’s peace upon them.

Amid controversy over the release on compassionate grounds of Mr al-Megrahi, the convicted Lockerbie bomber, let us pray for genuine compassion to win through, on all sides.

As the summer holidays near their end, let us pray God for all who are travelling, and that all holidays, may be holy-days: times of real spiritual refreshment and reunion.

As pupils around the world prepare to return to school, let us pray for them and for their teachers to enjoy a year of mutual enrichment and rewarded effort, growing in wisdom and knowledge.

Almighty God,
you alone can order unruly wills and affections:
Help us to love what you command,
and desire what you promise;
that in the midst of this changing world,
our hearts may be fixed where true joys are found;
one God, forever and ever.  Amen.

Faithful God, hope of the oppressed, source of freedom:
make us strong to witness to your liberating power,
in generosity of life and in humility of spirit,
that all the world may delight in your goodness.  Amen.

The opening prayer uses phrases from a hymn by Colin Gibson.

The closing prayer is based on a prayer from _Revised Common Lectionary
Prayers_, copyright (c) 2002 Consultation on Common Texts