OREMUS: 16 August 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Aug 15 17:00:01 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, August 16, 2009
The Eleventh Sunday after Pentecost

Blessed are you, everloving Father,
your care extends beyond
the boundaries of race and nation,
to the hearts of all who live.
Your Spirit fills us with a living faith,
that we may receive your gift of mercy
and come to sit at the table of your heavenly banquet.

Lord, who may dwell in your tabernacle?*
 who may abide upon your holy hill?
Whoever leads a blameless life and does what is right,*
 who speaks the truth from his heart.
There is no guile upon his tongue;
   he does no evil to his friend;*
 he does not heap contempt upon his neighbour.
In his sight the wicked is rejected,*
 but he honours those who fear the Lord.
He has sworn to do no wrong*
 and does not take back his word.
He does not give his money in hope of gain,*
 nor does he take a bribe against the innocent.
Whoever does these things*
 shall never be overthrown.

Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength,*
 a very present help in trouble;
Therefore we will not fear, though the earth be moved,*
 and though the mountains be toppled
   into the depths of the sea;
Though its waters rage and foam,*
 and though the mountains tremble at its tumult.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
There is a river whose streams
   make glad the city of God,*
 the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her;
   she shall not be overthrown;*
 God shall help her at the break of day.
The nations make much ado
   and the kingdoms are shaken;*
 God has spoken and the earth shall melt away.
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.
Come now and look upon the works of the Lord,*
 what awesome things he has done on earth.
It is he who makes war to cease in all the world;*
 he breaks the bow and shatters the spear
   and burns the shields with fire.
'Be still, then, and know that I am God;*
 I will be exalted among the nations;
   I will be exalted in the earth.'
The Lord of hosts is with us;*
 the God of Jacob is our stronghold.

A Song of David (1 Chronicles 29.10b13,14b)

Blessed are you, God of Israel, for ever and ever,
for yours is the greatness, the power,
the glory, the splendour and the majesty.
Everything in heaven and on earth is yours;
yours is the kingdom, O Lord,
and you are exalted as head over all.
Riches and honour come from you
and you rule over all.
In your hand are power and might;
yours it is to give power and strength to all.
And now we give you thanks, our God,
and praise your glorious name.
For all things come from you,
and of your own have we given you.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*
 laud him, all you peoples.
For his lovingkindness towards us is great,*

FIRST READING [Ecclesiasticus 1:1-10]:

All wisdom is from the Lord,
   and with him it remains for ever.
The sand of the sea, the drops of rain,
   and the days of eternity—who can count them?
The height of heaven, the breadth of the earth,
   the abyss, and wisdom—who can search them out?
Wisdom was created before all other things,
   and prudent understanding from eternity.
The root of wisdom—to whom has it been revealed?
   Her subtleties—who knows them?
There is but one who is wise, greatly to be feared,
   seated upon his throne—the Lord.
It is he who created her;
   he saw her and took her measure;
   he poured her out upon all his works,
upon all the living according to his gift;
   he lavished her upon those who love him.

HYMN
Words: Irish, c 8th century tr Mary Byrne (1880-1931) versified, Eleanor Hull (1860-1935)
Tune: Slane

Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart,
be all else but naught to me, save that thou art;
be thou my best thought in the day and the night,
both waking and sleeping, thy presence my light.

Be thou my wisdom, be thou my true word,
be thou ever with me, and I with thee Lord;
be thou my great Father, and I thy true son;
be thou in me dwelling, and I with thee one.

Be thou my breastplate, my sword for the fight;
be thou my whole armour, be thou my true might;
be thou my soul's shelter, be thou my strong tower:
O raise thou me heavenward, great Power of my power.

Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise:
be thou mine inheritance now and always;
be thou and thou only the first in my heart;
O Sovereign of heaven, my treasure thou art.

High King of heaven, thou heaven's bright sun,
O grant me its joys after vict'ry is won;
great Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
still be thou my vision, O Ruler of all.

SECOND READING [John 8:25-36]:

They said to him, 'Who are you?' Jesus said to them, 'Why do I speak to you at all? I have much to say about you and much to condemn; but the one who sent me is true, and I declare to the world what I have heard from him.' They did not understand that he was speaking to them about the Father. So Jesus said, 'When you have lifted up the Son of Man, then you will realize that I am he, and that I do nothing on my own, but I speak these things as the Father instructed me. And the one who sent me is with me; he has not left me alone, for I always do what is pleasing to him.' As he was saying these things, many believed in him.

Then Jesus said to the Jews who had believed in him, 'If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.' They answered him, 'We are descendants of Abraham and have never been slaves to anyone. What do you mean by saying, “You will be made free”?'

Jesus answered them, 'Very truly, I tell you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin. The slave does not have a permanent place in the household; the son has a place there for ever. So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.'

Let us pray for all who are on holiday at this time: that they will find relaxation, enjoy time away from the daily grind, and return refreshed.

Let us pray for the people of Mallorca, and all who holiday there: that the terrorist bombing and subsequent disruption will cease, and people will be free to enjoy their time away without worry.

Let us pray for all those are worried about their financial situation, and for whom no holiday is possible this year: that they will find some way of recharging their batteries and spending time relaxing with those they love.

Let us pray for the people of Taiwan, after the horrendous mudslide there last week; that those who have died will suffer no longer and be welcomed into the loving embrace of Jesus.

Heavenly Father, your Son Jesus Christ is the bread of life; we ask you to hear the prayers that we offer, through the same Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

God of love,
teach us to walk blamelessly in your ways,
that our whole life may be established in you,
and that we may come to the place prepared for us
by your Son, Jesus Christ our Redeemer. Amen.

Almighty God,
you have given your only Son
to be for us a sacrifice for sin,
and also an example of godly life:
Give us grace to receive thankfully
the fruits of this redeeming work,
and to follow daily in the blessed steps of his most holy life;
one God, now and for ever.  Amen.

Grant us so fully to manifest Christ in our lives
that people of all races and creeds
may be drawn to him who is their whole salvation,
our Savior Jesus Christ.  Amen.

The opening prayer is by Stephen Benner. The closing prayer is a sentence from
_Uniting in Worship_, The Uniting Church in Australia.