OREMUS: 13 August 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Aug 12 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Thursday, August 13, 2009
Jeremy Taylor, Bishop of Down and Connor, Teacher of the Faith, 1667

Blessed are you, O Lord,
from the rising of the sun to its going down,
your Name is praised,
for you have raised us from the dust and set before us
the vision of your glory.
As you bestowed upon us the dignity of a royal priesthood,
you lift up our hearts to celebrate your praise.

Why do you stand so far off, O Lord,*
 and hide yourself in time of trouble?
The wicked arrogantly persecute the poor,*
 but they are trapped in the schemes they have devised.
The wicked boast of their heart's desire;*
 the covetous curse and revile the Lord.
The wicked are so proud that they care not for God;*
 their only thought is, 'God does not matter.'
Their ways are devious at all times;
   your judgements are far above out of their sight;*
 they defy all their enemies.
They say in their heart, 'I shall not be shaken;*
 no harm shall happen to me ever.'
Their mouth is full of cursing, deceit and oppression;*
 under their tongue are mischief and wrong.
They lurk in ambush in public squares
   and in secret places they murder the innocent;*
 they spy out the helpless.
They lie in wait, like a lion in a covert;
   they lie in wait to seize upon the lowly;*
 they seize the lowly and drag them away in their net.
The innocent are broken and humbled before them;*
 the helpless fall before their power.
They say in their heart, 'God has forgotten;*
 he hides his face; he will never notice.'
Rise up, O Lord;
   lift up your hand, O God;*
 do not forget the afflicted.
Why should the wicked revile God?*
 why should they say in their heart, 'You do not care'?
Surely, you behold trouble and misery;*
 you see it and take it into your own hand.
The helpless commit themselves to you,*
 for you are the helper of orphans.
Break the power of the wicked and evil;*
 search out their wickedness until you find none.
The Lord is king for ever and ever;*
 the ungodly shall perish from his land.
The Lord will hear the desire of the humble;*
 you will strengthen their heart and your ears shall hear;
To give justice to the orphan and oppressed,*

 so that mere mortals may strike terror no more.

A Song of Baruch (Baruch 5.5,6c,79)

Arise, O Jerusalem, stand upon the height:
look to the east and see your children,
Gathered from the west and the east
at the word of the Holy One.
They rejoice that God has remembered them
and has brought them back to you.
For God has ordered that every high mountain
and the everlasting hills be made low,
And the valleys filled up to make level ground
so that they may walk safely in the glory of God.
The woods and every fragrant tree
have shaded them at God(s command.
For God will lead his people with joy
in the light of his glory
with the mercy and righteousness that comes from God.

 you seamonsters and all deeps;

FIRST READING [1 Samuel 17:17-27]:

Jesse said to his son David, 'Take for your brothers an ephah of this parched grain and these ten loaves, and carry them quickly to the camp to your brothers; also take these ten cheeses to the commander of their thousand. See how your brothers fare, and bring some token from them.'

Now Saul, and they, and all the men of Israel, were in the valley of Elah, fighting with the Philistines. David rose early in the morning, left someone in charge of the sheep, took the provisions, and went as Jesse had commanded him. He came to the encampment as the army was going forth to the battle line, shouting the war cry. Israel and the Philistines drew up for battle, army against army. David left the things in charge of the keeper of the baggage, ran to the ranks, and went and greeted his brothers. As he talked with them, the champion, the Philistine of Gath, Goliath by name, came up out of the ranks of the Philistines, and spoke the same words as before. And David heard him.

All the Israelites, when they saw the man, fled from him and were very much afraid. The Israelites said, 'Have you seen this man who has come up? Surely he has come up to defy Israel. The king will greatly enrich the man who kills him, and will give him his daughter and make his family free in Israel.' David said to the men who stood by him, 'What shall be done for the man who kills this Philistine, and takes away the reproach from Israel? For who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?' The people answered him in the same way, 'So shall it be done for the man who kills him.'

HYMN
Words: adapted from Jeremy Taylor, 1655
Music: Farley Castle

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/r/r056.html

Ride on triumphantly! Behold, we lay
our lusts and sins and proud will in thy way:
the road is ready, and thy paths made straight
with longing expectation seem to wait.

Hosanna! Welcome to our hearts! for here
thou hast a temple too, as Zion dear:
enter, O Lord, and cleanse that holy place
where thou dost choose to set thy beauteous face.

SECOND READING [Luke 18:31-end]:

Jesus took the twelve aside and said to them, 'See, we are going up to Jerusalem, and everything that is written about the Son of Man by the prophets will be accomplished. For he will be handed over to the Gentiles; and he will be mocked and insulted and spat upon. After they have flogged him, they will kill him, and on the third day he will rise again.' But they understood nothing about all these things; in fact, what he said was hidden from them, and they did not grasp what was said.

As he approached Jericho, a blind man was sitting by the roadside begging. When he heard a crowd going by, he asked what was happening. They told him, 'Jesus of Nazareth is passing by.' Then he shouted, 'Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!' Those who were in front sternly ordered him to be quiet; but he shouted even more loudly, 'Son of David, have mercy on me!' Jesus stood still and ordered the man to be brought to him; and when he came near, he asked him, 'What do you want me to do for you?' He said, 'Lord, let me see again.' Jesus said to him, 'Receive your sight; your faith has saved you.' Immediately he regained his sight and followed him, glorifying God; and all the people, when they saw it, praised God.

God of the apostles and martyrs,
we thank you for the hope that is from the beginning.
We bless you for the good news of Jesus
crucified, risen, and interceding for us
until his coming again in glory.

We commend to your care
all who walk and weep in grief and regret.

We pray in hope of your mercy.

We commend to you
all who live far from your image.
We pray in hope of your salvation.

We commend Holy Church,
We pray in hope of your glory.

We commend to your justice all peoples
who participate in oppression, strife and domination of others.
We pray in hope of your justice and peace.

We commend to you all who have died.
We pray in hope of your resurrection.

We commend to you our unfinished business.
We pray in hope of rest in you.

Let no riches make me ever forget myself,
no poverty ever make me to forget thee:
let no hope or fear, no pleasure or pain,
no accident without, no weakness within,
hinder or discompose my duty, or turn me
from the ways of thy commandments.
O, let thy Spirit dwell with me for ever,
and make my soul just and charitable,
full of honesty, full of religion,
resolute and constant in holy purposes,
but inflexible to evil.
Make me humble and obedient, peaceable and pious;
let me never envy any man's goods,
nor deserve to be despised myself:
and if I be, teach me to bear it with meekness and charity. Amen.

Holy and loving God,
you dwell in the human heart
and make us partakers of the divine nature
in Christ our great high priest:
help us who remember your servant Jeremy Taylor
to put our trust in your heavenly promises
and follow a holy life in virtue and true godliness;

Calm our fears and strengthen our faith
that we may never doubt the presence of Jesus Christ our Lord,
but proclaim him as your Son, risen from the dead, living for ever and ever.
Amen.

The opening prayer and closing sentence are adapted from prayers by Alan Griffiths..

The first collect is by Jeremy Taylor.

Jeremy Taylor was born at Cambridge in 1613 and ordained in 1633. In the
years between 1633 and the ascendency of the Puritans in 1645, he was a
Fellow of two Cambridge colleges, and chaplain to Archbishop Laud and to
King Charles. Under Puritan rule, he was imprisoned three times, and forced
into retirement as a family chaplain in Wales. After the Restoration, in 1661, he
became Bishop of Down and Connor in Ireland. Among his many books on
theological, moral, and devotional subjects, the best known are The Rule and
Exercises of Holy Living (1650) and The Rule and Exercises of Holy Dying
(1651), usually cited simply as Holy Living and Holy Dying. Many readers,
including Charles Wesley a century later, have reported finding these books of
great spiritual benefit. Another work of his, Liberty of Prophesying, argues for
freedom of conscience and freedom of speech in a religious context. Being
stationed in an area that was largely Roman Catholic, he was, perhaps
inevitably, drawn into controversy, and he wrote a book called Dissuasion (or
Dissuasive) Against Popery. [James Kiefer]