OREMUS: 1 May 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Thu Apr 30 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Friday, May 1, 2009
Saint Philip and Saint James, Apostles

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for you have raised from the dead
your Son, our Lord Jesus Christ.
We rejoice to share in the redemption
made known to use by the apostles,
the steadfast and sure witnesses of salvation,
who desired to know you, the Father,
in the fullness of truth.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
   whom then shall I fear?*
 the Lord is the strength of my life;
   of whom then shall I be afraid?
When evildoers came upon me to eat up my flesh,*
 it was they, my foes and my adversaries,
   who stumbled and fell.
Though an army should encamp against me,*
 yet my heart shall not be afraid;
And though war should rise up against me,*
 yet will I put my trust in him.
One thing have I asked of the Lord;
   one thing I seek;*
 that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
   all the days of my life;
To behold the fair beauty of the Lord*
 and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
   he shall keep me safe in his shelter;*
 he shall hide me in the secrecy of his dwelling
   and set me high upon a rock.
Even now he lifts up my head*
 above my enemies round about me;
Therefore I will offer in his dwelling an oblation
   with sounds of great gladness;*
 I will sing and make music to the Lord.
Hearken to my voice, O Lord, when I call;*
 have mercy on me and answer me.
You speak in my heart and say, 'Seek my face.'*
 Your face, Lord, will I seek.
Hide not your face from me,*
 nor turn away your servant in displeasure.
You have been my helper;
   cast me not away;*
 do not forsake me, O God of my salvation.
Though my father and my mother forsake me,*
 the Lord will sustain me.
Show me your way, O Lord;*
 lead me on a level path, because of my enemies.
Deliver me not into the hand of my adversaries,*
 for false witnesses have risen up against me,
   and also those who speak malice.

What if I had not believed
   that I should see the goodness of the Lord*
 in the land of the living!
O tarry and await the Lord's pleasure;
   be strong and he shall comfort your heart;*
 wait patiently for the Lord.

A Song of God's Grace (Ephesians 1.3-10)

Blessed are you,
the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
for you have blest us in Christ Jesus
with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
You chose us to be yours in Christ
before the foundation of the world,
that we should be holy and blameless before you.
In love you destined us for adoption as your children,
through Jesus Christ,
according to the purpose of your will,
To the praise of your glorious grace,
which you freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
In you, we have redemption
through the blood of Christ,
the forgiveness of our sins,
According to the riches of your grace,
which you have lavished upon us.
You have made known to us, in all wisdom and insight,
the mystery of your will,
According to your purpose
which you set forth in Christ,
as a plan for the fullness of time,
To unite all things in Christ,
things in heaven and things on earth.

 and a twoedged sword in their hand;

FIRST READING [Job 23:3-12]:

O that I knew where I might find him,
   that I might come even to his dwelling!
I would lay my case before him,
   and fill my mouth with arguments.
I would learn what he would answer me,
   and understand what he would say to me.
Would he contend with me in the greatness of his power?
   No; but he would give heed to me.
There an upright person could reason with him,
   and I should be acquitted for ever by my judge.

'If I go forward, he is not there;
   or backward, I cannot perceive him;
on the left he hides, and I cannot behold him;
   I turn to the right, but I cannot see him.
But he knows the way that I take;
   when he has tested me, I shall come out like gold.
My foot has held fast to his steps;
   I have kept his way and have not turned aside.
I have not departed from the commandment of his lips;
   I have treasured in my bosom the words of his mouth.

HYMN
Words: Cecil Frances Alexander (1818-1895)
Meter: LM

There is one Way, and only one,
Out of our gloom, and sin, and care,
To that far land where shines no sun
Because the Face of God is there.

There is one Truth, the Truth of God,
That Christ came down from Heav'n to show,
One Life that His redeeming Blood
Has won for all His saints below.

The lore from Philip once conceal'd,
We know its fulness now in Christ;
In Him the Father is reveal'd,
And all our longing is sufficed.

And still unwavering faith holds sure
The words that James wrote sternly down;
Except we labour and endure,
We cannot win the heavenly crown.

SECOND READING [John 1:43-end]:

The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, 'Follow me.' Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. Philip found Nathanael and said to him, 'We have found him about whom Moses in the law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus son of Joseph from Nazareth.' Nathanael said to him, 'Can anything good come out of Nazareth?' Philip said to him, 'Come and see.' When Jesus saw Nathanael coming towards him, he said of him, 'Here is truly an Israelite in whom there is no deceit!' Nathanael asked him, 'Where did you come to know me?' Jesus answered, 'I saw you under the fig tree before Philip called you.' Nathanael replied, 'Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!' Jesus answered, 'Do you believe because I told you that I saw you under the fig tree? You will see greater things than these.' And he said to him, 'Very truly, I tell you, you will see heaven opened and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of Man.’

Encouraged by our fellowship with all the saints,
let us make our prayers to the Father through our Lord
Jesus Christ.

Father, your Son called men and women to leave the
past behind them and to follow him as his disciples in
the way of the cross.  Look with mercy upon those whom he
has called today, marked with the cross and made his
disciples within the Church.
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son told his disciples not to be afraid, and at
Easter breathed on them his gift of peace.  Look with
mercy upon the world into which he sent them out, and
give it that peace for which it longs
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son formed around him a company who were no
longer servants but friends, and he called all those who
obeyed him his brother and sister and mother.  Look with
mercy upon our families and friends and upon the
communities in which we share
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son sent out disciples to preach and to heal the
sick.  Look with mercy on all those who yearn to hear the
good news of salvation, and renew among your people the
gifts of healing
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Your Son promised to those who followed him that they
would sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel
and would share the banquet of the kingdom.  According to
your promise, look with mercy on those who have walked
with Christ in this life and now have passed through
death
     Lord have mercy.
     Christ have mercy.

Almighty God,
who gave to your apostles Philip and James
grace and strength to bear witness to the truth:
Grant that we, being mindful of their victory of faith,
may glorify in life and death
the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

Make our hearts burn to go back to the world
and speak your word of life in Jesus' Name. Amen.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is by Stephen Benner and is based on two
phrases in a prayer from _We Give You Thanks and Praise: The
Ambrosian Eucharistic Prefaces_, translated by Alan Griffiths, (c)
The Canterbury Press Norwich, 1999.

The intercession is from _Book of Common Worship_, (c)
1993 Westminster / John Knox Press.

The collect is from The Book of Common Prayer_ (1979),
Charles Mortimer Guilbert, Custodian.