OREMUS: 20 April 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 19 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, April 20, 2009

Blessed are you, eternal God;
Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
in whom we receive the legacy of a living hope,
born again not only from his death
but also from his resurrection.
Day by day you refine our faith,
that we who have not seen the Christ
may truly confess him as our Lord and God,
and share the blessedness of those who believe.

Happy are they who have not walked
   in the counsel of the wicked,*
 nor lingered in the way of sinners,
   nor sat in the seats of the scornful!
Their delight is in the law of the Lord,*
 and they meditate on his law day and night.
They are like trees planted by streams of water,
   bearing fruit in due season,
   with leaves that do not wither;*
 everything they do shall prosper.
It is not so with the wicked:*
 they are like chaff which the wind blows away;
Therefore the wicked shall not stand upright
   when judgement comes,*
 nor the sinner in the council of the righteous.
For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,*
 but the way of the wicked is doomed.

Psalm 3

Lord, how many adversaries I have!*
 how many there are who rise up against me!
How many there are who say of me,*
 'There is no help for him in his God.'
But you, O Lord, are a shield about me;*
 you are my glory, the one who lifts up my head.
I call aloud upon the Lord*
 and he answers me from his holy hill;
I lie down and go to sleep;*
 I wake again, because the Lord sustains me.
I do not fear the multitudes of people*
 who set themselves against me all around.
Rise up, O Lord; set me free, O my God;*
 surely, you will strike all my enemies across the face,
   you will break the teeth of the wicked.
Deliverance belongs to the Lord.*
 Your blessing be upon your people!

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26; 22.1,2b,d,3b,4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it, .
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.
By its light the nations shall walk, .
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.
Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night; .
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.
I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal, .
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.
And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month, .
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.
The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him; .
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

FIRST READING [Exodus 13:3-16]:

Moses said to the people, 'Remember this day on which you came out of Egypt, out of the house of slavery, because the Lord brought you out from there by strength of hand; no leavened bread shall be eaten. Today, in the month of Abib, you are going out. When the Lord brings you into the land of the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Amorites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, which he swore to your ancestors to give you, a land flowing with milk and honey, you shall keep this observance in this month. For seven days you shall eat unleavened bread, and on the seventh day there shall be a festival to the Lord. Unleavened bread shall be eaten for seven days; no leavened bread shall be seen in your possession, and no leaven shall be seen among you in all your territory. You shall tell your child on that day, “It is because of what the Lord did for me when I came out of Egypt.” It shall serve for you as a sign on your hand and as a reminder on your forehead, so that the teaching of the Lord may be on your lips; for with a strong hand the Lord brought you out of Egypt. You shall keep this ordinance at its proper time from year to year.

'When the Lord has brought you into the land of the Canaanites, as he swore to you and your ancestors, and has given it to you, you shall set apart to the Lord all that first opens the womb. All the firstborn of your livestock that are males shall be the Lord's. But every firstborn donkey you shall redeem with a sheep; if you do not redeem it, you must break its neck. Every firstborn male among your children you shall redeem. When in the future your child asks you, “What does this mean?” you shall answer, “By strength of hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt, from the house of slavery. When Pharaoh stubbornly refused to let us go, the Lord killed all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from human firstborn to the firstborn of animals. Therefore I sacrifice to the Lord every male that first opens the womb, but every firstborn of my sons I redeem.” It shall serve as a sign on your hand and as an emblem on your forehead that by strength of hand the Lord brought us out of Egypt.'

HYMN
Words: Don Pickard (born 1941) adapted from a traditional Hebrew text
© 1993 Stainer & Bell Ltd Used with Permission.

Dayeinu means "Would that have been enough?" in Hebrew.

If our God had simply saved us,
Merely brought us out of Egypt,
Only opened up our prison:
Dayeinu!
Chorus:
 Dadayeinu, dadayeinu,
 Dadayeinu, dayeinu,
 Dayeinu, dayeinu!
 Dadayeinu, dadayeinu,
 Dadayeinu, dayeinu, dayeinu!

If our God had split the Red Sea:
Made a way through walls of water,
Only opened up the waters:
Dayeinu! Chorus

If our God had kept our feet dry,
Kept our heads above the water,
Kept us safely without drowning:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had brought us over,
Led us safely on to dry land:
(Even though it was a desert)
Dayeinu! Chorus

If our God had only led us,
Only gone ahead to guide us,
Given cloud and fire to lead us:
Dayeinu! Chorus

If our God had only brought us
To the awful fire at Sinai:
Filled us all with dread at Sinai:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had spoken to us
Only one word through the thunder
Merely whispered on the mountain:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had given to us
Less than ten Words as prescription
Simply told us: Take the tablets!
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had laid the law down:
Tabled in the words by Moses:
Only given us the Torah:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had given us manna,
Daily sent down bread from heaven,
Simple manna in the desert:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had only given
Seventh day for joy and gladness,
Without all the rest to help us:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had from a mountain
Let us glimpse the land of promise,
Only gaze across the Jordan:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had, through the river,
Led us to dry bread and water
And not laid on milk and honey:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

If our God had fed us only:
Feasted us upon the mountain -
Not inviting all the neighbours:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

But our God, who holds the banquet,
Calls the whole world into freedom:
Opens up the new creation:
Dayeinu!  Chorus

SECOND READING [Hebrews 1]:

Long ago God spoke to our ancestors in many and various ways by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, through whom he also created the worlds. He is the reflection of God's glory and the exact imprint of God's very being, and he sustains all things by his powerful word. When he had made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, having become as much superior to angels as the name he has inherited is more excellent than theirs.
 For to which of the angels did God ever say,
'You are my Son;
   today I have begotten you'?
Or again,
'I will be his Father,
   and he will be my Son'?
And again, when he brings the firstborn into the world, he says,
'Let all God's angels worship him.'
Of the angels he says,
'He makes his angels winds,
   and his servants flames of fire.'
But of the Son he says,
'Your throne, O God, is for ever and ever,
   and the righteous sceptre is the sceptre of your kingdom.
You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;
therefore God, your God, has anointed you
   with the oil of gladness beyond your companions.'
And,
'In the beginning, Lord, you founded the earth,
   and the heavens are the work of your hands;
they will perish, but you remain;
   they will all wear out like clothing;
like a cloak you will roll them up,
   and like clothing they will be changed.
But you are the same,
   and your years will never end.'
But to which of the angels has he ever said,
'Sit at my right hand
   until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet'?
Are not all angels spirits in the divine service, sent to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?

O Sun of righteousness,
you came forth from the dark night of death.
May you rise also in our hearts,
and enable us to contemplate the glories
of this sacred mystery,
that we may praise and glorify you for ever.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Prince of Life,
you take away the old leaven of malice and evil
that we may always walk with you and serve you:
Abide continually with us,
that in everything we do we may not forget the joy of your resurrection.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Paschal Lamb, offered for all,
you have taken away the sin of the world
and by rising again you have restored to us everlasting life.
Send laborers into the harvest
to proclaim the life you offer to those who believe.
We pray especially for
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

O Conqueror of death and captain of our salvation,
you overcame the darkness of death
and opened the kingdom of heaven for all believers.
We thank you for those saints whom you have already led
through death to life in the glory of heaven.
Lord of life, hear our prayer.

Heavenly Father,
you have delivered us from the power of sin
and brought us into the kingdom of your Son:
Grant that he whose death has recalled us to life
may by his presence among us raise us to eternal joys;
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May God, who through the resurrection
of our Lord Jesus Christ,
has given us the victory,
give us joy and peace in our faith. Amen.

Contemporary Language_.