OREMUS: 13 April 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sun Apr 12 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Monday, April 13, 2009
Monday in Easter Week

Blessed are you, eternal God;
we praise you that your glory has dawned upon us
that the grave could not hold your Son,
who has conquered death
and risen to rule over all the powers of this earth.
He summons us to new life,
to follow him with joy and gladness,
that all that we have may show forth his love.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul,*
 and forget not all his benefits.
He forgives all your sins*
 and heals all your infirmities;
He redeems your life from the grave*
 and crowns you with mercy and lovingkindness;
He satisfies you with good things,*
 and your youth is renewed like an eagle's.
The Lord executes righteousness*
 and judgement for all who are oppressed.
He made his ways known to Moses*
 and his works to the children of Israel.
The Lord is full of compassion and mercy,*
 slow to anger and of great kindness.
He will not always accuse us,*
 nor will he keep his anger for ever.
He has not dealt with us according to our sins,*
 nor rewarded us according to our wickedness.
For as the heavens are high above the earth,*
 so is his mercy great upon those who fear him.
As far as the east is from the west,*
 so far has he removed our sins from us.
As a father cares for his children,*
 so does the Lord care for those who fear him.
For he himself knows whereof we are made;*
 he remembers that we are but dust.
Our days are like the grass;*
 we flourish like a flower of the field;
When the wind goes over it, it is gone,*
 and its place shall know it no more.
But the merciful goodness of the Lord
   endures for ever on those who fear him,*
 and his righteousness on children's children;
On those who keep his covenant*
 and remember his commandments and do them.
The Lord has set his throne in heaven,*
 and his kingship has dominion over all.
Bless the Lord, you angels of his,
   you mighty ones who do his bidding,*
 and hearken to the voice of his word.

Bless the Lord, all you his hosts,*
 you ministers of his who do his will.
Bless the Lord, all you works of his,
   in all places of his dominion;*
 bless the Lord, O my soul.

A Song of the Heavenly City (Revelation 21.22-26; 22.1,2b,d,3b,4)

I saw no temple in the city,
for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty
and the Lamb.
And the city has no need of sun or moon
to shine upon it, .
for the glory of God is its light,
and its lamp is the Lamb.
By its light the nations shall walk, .
and the rulers of the earth
shall bring their glory into it.
Its gates shall never be shut by day,
nor shall there be any night; .
they shall bring into it
the glory and honour of the nations.
I saw the river of the water of life,
bright as crystal, .
flowing from the throne of God and of the Lamb.
And either side of the river stood the tree of life,
yielding its fruit each month, .
and the leaves of the tree
were for the healing of the nations.
The throne of God and of the Lamb shall be there,
and his servants shall worship him; .
and they shall see his face
and his name shall be on their foreheads.

FIRST READING [Isaiah 61:1-3, 10-11]:

The spirit of the Lord God is upon me,
   because the Lord has anointed me;
he has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed,
   to bind up the broken-hearted,
to proclaim liberty to the captives,
   and release to the prisoners;
to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favour,
   and the day of vengeance of our God;
   to comfort all who mourn;
to provide for those who mourn in Zion—
   to give them a garland instead of ashes,
the oil of gladness instead of mourning,
   the mantle of praise instead of a faint spirit.
They will be called oaks of righteousness,
   the planting of the Lord, to display his glory.
I will greatly rejoice in the Lord,
   my whole being shall exult in my God;
for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation,
   he has covered me with the robe of righteousness,
as a bridegroom decks himself with a garland,
   and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels.
For as the earth brings forth its shoots,
   and as a garden causes what is sown in it to spring up,
so the Lord God will cause righteousness and praise
   to spring up before all the nations.

HYMN
Words: Alan Gaunt (born 1935) © 2002 Stainer & Bell Ltd. Used with permission.

Tune: Cherry Tree Carol, Aurelia, Llangloffan

Once crucified and buried,
and locked behind death's door,
Jesus is resurrected,
our joy for ever more.

Come with those grieving women,
on every week's first day,
to find death's prison empty
and grief's stone rolled away!

Just like his first disciples,
set free from their dismay,
we greet the risen Jesus
each resurrection day!

He sends us as apostles,
to spread the news and say
that death and hate are conquered
on resurrection day.

We live with Christ, proclaiming
that love will never cease,
till God's work is completed
in justice, joy and peace.

SECOND READING [Luke 24:1-12]:

But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, taking the spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body. While they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men in dazzling clothes stood beside them. The women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, but the men said to them, ‘Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again.’ Then they remembered his words, and returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest. Now it was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them who told this to the apostles. But these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened.

Today of all days, the feast of feasts, let us bring our prayers to God through Christ, who is risen from the dead!

We pray for the leaders of the nations: that they may continue to work together for peace, justice and the care of the environment; and that they may always keep in mind the needs of all the world’s people, especially those who live in conditions of poverty. For Christ is risen! [Response: Alleluia! Amen.]

We pray for leaders of the church, especially for Archbishop Vincent Nichols, as he prepares to take up his post as Archbishop of Westminster: that God may bless him, and them, with the faith, vision and love to fulfil their role. For Christ is risen! [Response: Alleluia! Amen.]

We pray for those mourned and mourning this week after the earthquake in Italy; that God will grant rest to the casualties, and strength and comfort to the bereaved in their ordeal. For Christ is risen! [Response: Alleluia! Amen.]

We pray for the people caught up in the security alarms in Britain this week: that through the bravery of the security services, and the restraint and forgiveness of the public, violence may be averted, and reconciliation prevail. For Christ is risen! [Response: Alleluia! Amen.]

We pray for young people and mothers, seeking guidance; and for all, within and outside the Church, who seek to influence public attitudes and opinion: that a right sense of the dignity of our life in God may flourish. For Christ is risen! [Response: Alleluia! Amen.]

Heavenly Father, your Son Jesus Christ has today risen from the dead, and shown himself a stranger to corruption. In thankful faith we ask you to hear the prayers and alleluias that we offer through the same risen Christ, our Lord. For he is risen! [Response: Alleluia!]

Grant, we pray, Almighty God,
that we who celebrate with awe the Paschal feast
may be found worthy to attain to everlasting joys;

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.