OREMUS: 12 April 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Sat Apr 11 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Sunday, April 12, 2009
Easter Day

Blessed are you, God our Father!
How good it is on this day of joy
to lift our glad songs of praise to you,
Redeemer of the lost.
You planted your steadfast love
in the gardens of creation
but we ate the bitter fruit
of idolatry and sin.
Prophets came in your name,
bringing your gracious word,
but we could not hear them call our name.
When we were about to perish,
when we could have died,
you sent the One
who would bear that threat away.

Holy are you, God of Easter,
and blessed is Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior,
sent by you to bring us salvation.
Your right hand,
he releases us from death's grip;
walking through
the darkness of death,
he leads us into
the Kingdom's light;
confounding the practitioners of evil,
he did good for others;
humbling himself to experience
our pain and suffering,
he is raised to rule over all.

Christ has died,
 but death does not have the final word;
Christ is risen,
and Easter begins for us
when Christ calls us by name;
Christ will come again
and lead us into your glory.

Through Christ,
glory and honor, praise and thanksgiving
are yours, God of new life,
with the Holy Spirit in your holy people
on this first day of the week
and all the days to come.

Sing to the Lord a new song,*
 for he has done marvellous things.
With his right hand and his holy arm*
 has he won for himself the victory.
The Lord has made known his victory;*
 his righteousness has he openly shown
   in the sight of the nations.
He remembers his mercy and faithfulness
   to the house of Israel,*
 and all the ends of the earth have seen
   the victory of our God.
Shout with joy to the Lord, all you lands;*
 lift up your voice, rejoice and sing.
Sing to the Lord with the harp,*
 with the harp and the voice of song.
With trumpets and the sound of the horn*
 shout with joy before the King, the Lord.
Let the sea make a noise and all that is in it,*
 the lands and those who dwell therein.
Let the rivers clap their hands,*
 and let the hills ring out with joy before the Lord,
   when he comes to judge the earth.
In righteousness shall he judge the world,*
 and the peoples with equity.

   When Israel came out of Egypt,*
 the house of Jacob from a people of strange speech,
Judah became God's sanctuary*
 and Israel his dominion.
The sea beheld it and fled;*
 Jordan turned and went back.
The mountains skipped like rams,*
 and the little hills like young sheep.
What ailed you, O sea, that you fled?*
 O Jordan, that you turned back?
You mountains, that you skipped like rams?*
 you little hills like young sheep?
Tremble, O earth, at the presence of the Lord,*
 at the presence of the God of Jacob,
Who turned the hard rock into a pool of water*
 and flintstone into a flowing spring.

The Song of Moses and Miriam (Exodus 15.1b-3,6,10,13,17

I will sing to the Lord, who has triumphed gloriously,
the horse and his rider he has thrown into the sea.
The Lord is my strength and my song
and has become my salvation.
This is my God whom I will praise,
the God of my forebears whom I will exalt.
The Lord is a warrior,
the Lord is his name.
Your right hand, O Lord, is glorious in power:
your right hand, O Lord, shatters the enemy.
At the blast of your nostrils, the sea covered them;
they sank as lead in the mighty waters.
In your unfailing love, O Lord,
you lead the people whom you have redeemed.
And by your invincible strength
you will guide them to your holy dwelling.
You will bring them in and plant them, O Lord,
in the sanctuary which your hands have established.

Praise the Lord, all you nations;*

FIRST READING [Isaiah 25:1-9]:

O Lord, you are my God;
   I will exalt you, I will praise your name;
for you have done wonderful things,
   plans formed of old, faithful and sure.
For you have made the city a heap,
   the fortified city a ruin;
the palace of aliens is a city no more,
   it will never be rebuilt.
Therefore strong peoples will glorify you;
   cities of ruthless nations will fear you.
For you have been a refuge to the poor,
   a refuge to the needy in their distress,
   a shelter from the rainstorm and a shade from the heat.
When the blast of the ruthless was like a winter rainstorm,
   the noise of aliens like heat in a dry place,
you subdued the heat with the shade of clouds;
   the song of the ruthless was stilled.

On this mountain the Lord of hosts will make for all peoples
   a feast of rich food, a feast of well-matured wines,
   of rich food filled with marrow, of well-matured wines strained clear.
And he will destroy on this mountain
   the shroud that is cast over all peoples,
   the sheet that is spread over all nations;
he will swallow up death for ever.
Then the Lord God will wipe away the tears from all faces,
   and the disgrace of his people he will take away from all the earth,
   for the Lord has spoken.
It will be said on that day,
   Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, so that he might save us.
   This is the Lord for whom we have waited;
   let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation.

HYMN
Words: Michael Weisse (1480-1534), 1531;
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1858
Tune: Württemberg, Orientis partibus

Christ the Lord is risen again!
Christ hath broken every chain!
Hark! angelic voices cry,
singing evermore on high,
Alleluia!

He who gave for us his life,
who for us endured the strife,
is our Paschal Lamb today;
we too sing for joy, and say:
Alleluia!

He who bore all pain and loss
comfortless upon the cross
lives in glory now on high,
pleads for us, and hears our cry;
Alleluia!

He who slumbered in the grave
is exalted now to save;
through the universe it rings
that the Lamb is King of kings:
Alleluia!

Now he bids us tell abroad
how the lost may be restored,
how the penitent forgiven,
how we too may enter heaven.
Alleluia!

Thou, our Paschal Lamb indeed,
Christ, thy ransomed people feed;
take our sins and guilt away,
that we all may sing for aye
Alleluia!

SECOND READING [Matthew 28:1-10, 16-20]:

After the sabbath, as the first day of the week was dawning, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary went to see the tomb. And suddenly there was a great earthquake; for an angel of the Lord, descending from heaven, came and rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothing white as snow. For fear of him the guards shook and became like dead men. But the angel said to the women, 'Do not be afraid; I know that you are looking for Jesus who was crucified. He is not here; for he has been raised, as he said. Come, see the place where he lay. Then go quickly and tell his disciples, "He has been raised from the dead, and indeed he is going ahead of you to Galilee; there you will see him." This is my message for you.' So they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy, and ran to tell his disciples. Suddenly Jesus met them and said, 'Greetings!' And they came to him, took hold of his feet, and worshipped him. Then Jesus said to them, 'Do not be afraid; go and tell my brothers to go to Galilee; there they will see me.'

Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshipped him; but some doubted. And Jesus came and said to them, 'All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.'

Christ is risen indeed and walks among us.
Therefore, in confidence, let us pray:

O Christ, the joy of all, the Sun that warms and lights us:
give us hope founded in the knowledge of your resurrection:
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ, you came to save all who believe:
may we work for the unity of your body, the Church.
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ, you created us in your image:
help us to overcome our prejudices and see you in those around us:
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ, you know our sufferings and our needs:
hear our prayers for those whose journey in this life is difficult:
The Lord is risen indeed.

O Christ,  we give thanks that you overcame death's strong bands:
remember those who have died with faith in the power of your resurrection:
The Lord is risen indeed.

Glorious Lord of life,
by the mighty resurrection of your Son
you overcame the old order of sin and death
to make all things new in him:
Grant that we who celebrate with joy
Christ's rising from the dead
may be raised from the death of sin to the life of righteousness;
through him who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Rejoicing in the God's new creation,

May the love of the cross,
the power of the resurrection,
and the presence of the living Lord,
be with us always. Amen.

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Alleluia! Christ is risen!
The Lord is risen indeed. Alleluia!

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The intercession is (c) Stephen T. Benner, 2000.

The closing sentence is from _Chalice Worship_, (c) Chalice
Press, 1997. Reproduced with permission.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving is adapted from a prayer by Thom
Shuman.