OREMUS: 9 April 2009

Steve Benner steve.benner at oremus.org
Wed Apr 8 17:00:00 GMT 2009

OREMUS for Thursday, April 9, 2009
Maundy Thursday

Blessed are you, almighty God,
for your Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
For he gave us a new commandment
that we should love one another as he has loved us.
Knowing that his hour had come,
in his great love he gave us the holy mysteries
of his Body and Blood,
that we, redeemed by his death
and restored to life by his resurrection,
might be partakers of his divine nature.

http://www.oremus.org/passocan.html

Psalm 116

I love the Lord,
   because he has heard the voice of my supplication,*
 because he has inclined his ear to me
   whenever I called upon him.
The cords of death entangled me;
   the grip of the grave took hold of me;*
 I came to grief and sorrow.
Then I called upon the name of the Lord:*
 'O Lord, I pray you, save my life.'
Gracious is the Lord and righteous;*
 our God is full of compassion.
The Lord watches over the innocent;*
 I was brought very low and he helped me.
Turn again to your rest, O my soul,*
 for the Lord has treated you well.
For you have rescued my life from death,*
 my eyes from tears and my feet from stumbling.
I will walk in the presence of the Lord*
 in the land of the living.
I believed, even when I said,
   'I have been brought very low.'*
 In my distress I said, 'No one can be trusted.'
How shall I repay the Lord*
 for all the good things he has done for me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the sight of the Lord*
 is the death of his servants.
O Lord, I am your servant;*
 I am your servant and the child of your handmaid;
   you have freed me from my bonds.
I will offer you the sacrifice of thanksgiving*
 and call upon the name of the Lord.
I will fulfil my vows to the Lord*
 in the presence of all his people.
In the courts of the Lord's house,*
 in the midst of you, O Jerusalem.

FIRST READING [Jeremiah 31:31-34]:

The days are surely coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah. It will not be like the covenant that I made with their ancestors when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt—a covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, says the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. No longer shall they teach one another, or say to each other, 'Know the Lord', for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, says the Lord; for I will forgive their iniquity, and remember their sin no more.

HYMN
Words: (c) Marnie Barrell, 1999
Tune: Kingsfold
<a
href="http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/mb10.html">http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/barrell/
mb10.html

Relentless lover, God in Christ
who died to set us free,
unswerving as your love for us
may our commitment be:
to come and learn what courage means,
and take the challenge up
to walk with Christ through death to life,
to drink his bitter cup.

And when we come, may that fierce love
be tasted, touched and known,
as we who gather round the Cross
meet in Christ's death our own.
God grant we shall not fear to drink
his cup, the blood he shed,
nor let our hands, unwounded, shrink
from taking up his bread.

So let the Spirit draw us near
to find, in hope and trust,
his broken body risen here,
his life renewed in us.
Life given, life renewed again
in thousandfold increase;
he lives, and sends us out to be
his living gift of peace.

SECOND READING [John 17]:

After Jesus had spoken these words, he looked up to heaven and said, 'Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son so that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all people, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth by finishing the work that you gave me to do. So now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had in your presence before the world existed.

'I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world. They were yours, and you gave them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they know that everything you have given me is from you; for the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they have received them and know in truth that I came from you; and they have believed that you sent me. I am asking on their behalf; I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you gave me, because they are yours. All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them. And now I am no longer in the world, but they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me, so that they may be one, as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them in your name that you have given me. I guarded them, and not one of them was lost except the one destined to be lost, so that the scripture might be fulfilled. But now I am coming to you, and I speak these things in the world so that they may have my joy made complete in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them because they do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. I am not asking you to take them out of the world, but I ask you to protect them from the evil one. They do not belong to the world, just as I do not belong to the world. Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. As you have sent me into the world, so I have sent them into the world. And for their sakes I sanctify myself, so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

'I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one, I in them and you in me, that they may become completely one, so that the world may know that you have sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. Father, I desire that those also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory, which you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world.

 'Righteous Father, the world does not know you, but I know you; and these know that you have sent me. I made your name known to them, and I will make it known, so that the love with which you have loved me may be in them, and I in them.'

Lord, you have declared your will
That we should faithfully keep your commandments.

You have commanded us to love one another
As you have loved us.

Lord, in your mercy
Hear our prayer.

Lord, we pray for Christians throughout the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Roman Catholic Church and Benedict the Pope
That we may be one.

We pray for the Eastern Orthodox churches and for their Patriarchs and Archbishops
That we may be one.

We pray for the Lutheran churches around the world
That we may be one.

We pray for the Methodist churches and their clergy
That we may be one.

We pray for the Presbyterian churches and their ministers
That we may be one.

We pray for the Baptist churches and their leaders
That we may be one.

We pray for all other churches
That we may be one.

We pray for the Anglican Communion
and for Rowan, Archbishop of Canterbury
That we may be one.

We pray for the unity of all Christian people, that the world may believe
That we may be one.

Holy God,
source of all love,
on the night of his betrayal
Jesus gave his disciples a new commandment,
to love one another as he loved them:
Write this commandment in our hearts;
give us the will to serve others
as he was the servant of all,
who gave his life and died for us,
yet is alive and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and forever. Amen.

Standing at the foot of the cross,
we pray as our Savior has taught us:

- The Lord's Prayer

Christ Jesus humbled himself for us,
and in obedience accepted death.

The opening prayer of thanksgiving uses phrases from prayers in
_Common Worship: Services and Prayers for the Church of
(c) The Archbishops' Council, 2000.

The invitation to the Lord's Prayer is from _Common Worship:
 Daily Prayer, Preliminary Edition_, copyright (c)
The Archbishops' Council, 2002.

Westminster / John Knox Press.

The hymn is reproduced here with the kind permission of the author; if you
wish to reproduce it further, please apply for permission by sending her an
email.